Next Season!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Next Season!

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:26 pm Denton was hugely physical for Worcester last season
Denton was immense for Worcester last season. Scored lots of crucial tries, won countless player of the months awards for them and always gave them go forwards ball. Whilst his workrate could be questioned, he’s a great ball carrier and I’m sure we’ll get the best out of him.

Loads of pundits rate Spencer and reckon if he didn’t have a slight niggle he would have played for England on tour. He’s also a unit who will add to our physicality.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Not convinced about Denton & Spencer,
as I said before why did Bath not rate them, in my humble opinion they are average signings.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:47 pm Not convinced about Denton & Spencer,
as I said before why did Bath not rate them, in my humble opinion they are average signings.
Who would you have signed then?
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I didn't know who was available.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm As usual ellis stupid question, I didn't know who was available.
Perhaps Spencer and Denton were the best available. It wasn't such a stupid question as you thought!
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Sometimes players don’t work out at certain clubs, in certain systems. How many players have we released and they gone on to be great players at other clubs.
Spencer was behind Atwood, Charteris, Ewels, Stookes coming through and Garvey. So best case he would have been third choice at 24, behind 2 internationals. so he chose to go and play 1st team rugby and has excelled.
Denton spent most of his time there injured I imagine was on a good salary, and then Falatau was bought in and let’s face it who’s keeping him out.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Stephen18 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 pm
Sometimes players don’t work out at certain clubs, in certain systems. How many players have we released and they gone on to be great players at other clubs.
Spencer was behind Atwood, Charteris, Ewels, Stookes coming through and Garvey. So best case he would have been third choice at 24, behind 2 internationals. so he chose to go and play 1st team rugby and has excelled.
Denton spent most of his time there injured I imagine was on a good salary, and then Falatau was bought in and let’s face it who’s keeping him out.
Exactly. I could count on one hand how many we let go who have done better since leaving.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Spencer had a string of bad injuries at Bath.
But he's rated by the English setup especially by Borthwick.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

MikeR wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm Owen Hills - you must be joking . A promising youngster yes , but a Premiership standard loosehead prop - nowhere near that level .
As a 4th option Mike I wasn’t suggesting he should start/come off the bench in any games.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:50 am
MikeR wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:42 pm Owen Hills - you must be joking . A promising youngster yes , but a Premiership standard loosehead prop - nowhere near that level .
As a 4th option Mike I wasn’t suggesting he should start/come off the bench in any games.
So that doesn't make him an option then does it?
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

That was our trouble last season - so called options like traynor and Bauman who could not be trusted to be on the Pitch .
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Young players who are not of Premiership standard one season can develop so that they are the next. Hills may or may not make it, props tend to need a few years extra to mature which is why I have said Hayes is at least a couple of years away from the Premiership. Many seem to be leaving Grahamslaw out of the loose head equation, we have Bateman, Genge, Gigenga, Hills and Grahamslaw covering loosehead plus tight head props able to play both sides, I think we should be ok.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m not convinced by Grahamslaw, John unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to watch him in the U20s and he never appeared in the highlights much.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:46 pm I’m not convinced by Grahamslaw, John unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to watch him in the U20s and he never appeared in the highlights much.
He's a loosehead prop they hardly do make the highlights unless they are Ellis.

Think this is only his second full season of actually playing prop.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Anyone know when they are going to announce the European fixtures R1 - R4???
Hehehehehehehehe