LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 1

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 1

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I imagine Simmons, Hardwick, Worth and Olowfela are the ones who have made the step up. Harsh on White maybe, but right now we don’t need 4 scrum halves in the senior set up.

With them coming up, the signings of Fe’ao and Macken fit in with that. Macken especially is maybe the sort of premiership quality stand in player we were missing last season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 pm I imagine Simmons, Hardwick, Worth and Olowfela are the ones who have made the step up. Harsh on White maybe, but right now we don’t need 4 scrum halves in the senior set up.

With them coming up, the signings of Fe’ao and Macken fit in with that. Macken especially is maybe the sort of premiership quality stand in player we were missing last season.

Was thinking more U18 --> to Development rather than Development to Senior squad
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:00 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:27 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:57 pm

That’s what I heard! Can’t find anything about him joining Tigers.
We will see soon enough I guess.

Just something I heard, which hasn't meant much recently TBH.
It would make sense as a signing. We all know the starting centres full strength, but with the international windows, Toomua will be playing 10.

Have to feel that Smith and Tait are there for their experience in the squad next season.
Plus Owen and Tuilagi we all know probably won’t be fit for every match. Therefore, with Worth and Owen battling it out for the 12 shirt, Macken would prove premiership quality depth at 13. Plus he won’t be breaking the bank.
If Ford isn’t starting for England I can’t see him being in the match day squad.
Cipriani and Farrell have to be odds on to start at 10 and 12 in November
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Let's hope Ford starts at 10 for England then 😉
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I'd be happy enough with Macken, proven Prem standard centre, would probably offer more cutting edge when called upon than Smith/Tait when filling in for Tuilagi and Owen's inevitable injuries.
Glad we're sourcing another experienced prop, think Genge, Bateman, Gigena at LH, then at TH we have Cole, Cilliers, Cortes and Feao, the latter who fills that gap of a player able to play LH (as he did this weekend for Tonga) and TH (as he has been doing at club level).
Still room/need for one last signing, a wing/fullback to compete/cover Veianu, I'd have been happy to see Pakalani get another season, but sounds previously like he's off. I do like the possibility of seeing more gametime for Olowofela, and Worth, on that basis I'd have probably only kept one of Tait/Smith.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:29 pm Are we back today too?
While international rugby is in full swing all over the globe, with several current and future Tigers players featuring for their nations on tour in South Africa to North America and Fiji in between, there are many others making the most of the holiday break " before pre-season training begins at the end of June ahead of the 2018/19 campaign.!!" Quote 17th June "Tigers Family enjoying summer R&R. :smt028 :smt030
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

To be fair if the rumoured additions are correct, the squad is shaping up quite nicely. In a much better place than we were last season. :smt001
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 am To be fair if the rumoured additions are correct, the squad is shaping up quite nicely. In a much better place than we were last season. :smt001
Are there any backs? I have seen the forwards, but we need back as well, if we have made signings in the backs happy days
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Chobbsy wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 am To be fair if the rumoured additions are correct, the squad is shaping up quite nicely. In a much better place than we were last season. :smt001
Are there any backs? I have seen the forwards, but we need back as well, if we have made signings in the backs happy days
I feel with the backs we don’t need many signings as we have the likes of Simmons, Hardwick, Worth and Olowfela coming through the ranks. Hopefully all of them will get more game time next season with the first team and deservedly so.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

The only downside with Macken is that he is a 13 more than a 12, which we have way too many of IMO, which means the only real option at 10/12 is Ford and Toomua.

This leaves us with:

10: Ford, Ford, Hardwick
12: Toomua, Worth, Thacker
13: Tuilagi, Owen, Tait, Smith, Macken, Olowolofela,

Although, in fairness, Tait and Worth are probably seen more to be options at 15 (as if Pakalani is off, that leaves us Veaniu and maybe Holmes as options at 15), and then Owen potentially seen as a 12.

I still think we need another 10/12 unless we are seriously planning to give decent game time to Hardwick and Worth. The more I think about it, the more I wonder if certain assurances have been given to George. A decent 12 would free up Toomua to be used at 10, or equally a decent 10 would give us the option to drop George to the bench.

Elsewhere in the squad, Wings, Scrum Half, and the forwards in general I think we are in a much better place.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Owen is a very good IC TTRITH as is Tait. The problem is keeping Gareth fit!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

I guess if the rumours are true, the centres would line up:

12. Toomua, Owen, Worth
13. Tuilagi, Macken, Smith

With Tait and Olowofela also being able to cover 13 if required. But I’d have them down as being back three cover first. That set of centres is a nice mix of ability and experience, especially for the international windows and injury prone players.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hardwick can cover inside too!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Based on his U20 WC performances, I'd also say that Hardwick could be a serious option at 12 - he has the distribution skills of a 10, but seems to relish the contact stuff as well. According to Ged Glynn, "Tom Hardwick, playing at 12, was vigorous and intelligent in defence, and with ball in hand he showed that he can distribute either way. There is work to be done in getting him used to the position but he could give an option in the backline."
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Looks like from LTTV some of the boys are back today for pre-season. Hopefully it won’t be long now until some new signings are anounced or are spotted in training. I imagine if Macken has signed he’ll be there for the start.