Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 1

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Need more than one front row addition.
Mulipola, Rizzo and Betts already announced as off. Traynor and Baumann expected to follow. No additions announced yet. 5 out, none in.
At hooker we've lost Thacker and Mcguigan, only Stevens in, so must be a chunk of extra wages freed up there.
There's been a lot of talk about how the Tigers pack is not as dominant as it once was. Recruitment needs to address that.
We will lose both Genge and Cole to international squads going forwards, leaving us with only Bateman, Gigena and Cilliers, clearly not enough depth there. Even just one addition leaves us a matchday pool of four, but no room for injuries without having to dip into the academy options. Need two minimum, still 5 out and 2 in, so it'll release some more salary cap.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think we also have Cortes coming in from Bristol. Apparently good at scrum time so won’t let anyone down.

Also rumour is Mulipola is being replaced with Leatigaga. If that happens I guess we should be prettt well stocked in the front row with 7 props. So I guess we’re looking at:

1. Genge, Bateman, Gigena
3. Cole, Cilliers, Leatigaga, Cortes

That’s a really good crop of props. Leatigaga can cover both sides and seems a unit ball in hand. Gigena also whilst not played loads yet I feel has loads to offer the club.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Genge, Bateman, Gigena, (Hills/Grahamslaw)
Cole, Cilliers, Leatigaga, Cortes, (Heyes)

Seems a bit more stocked. Probably still shaved some fair amount of salary cap off, so potentially still room for another cheap/project in there.

The comment from O'Connor about a back 5 forward, suggests someone who can play lock and 6 maybe, rather that an out and out lock, which does point to Mafi. Although, with Fitzgerald also in that bracket, flexible enough to look for an enforcer hopefully.

Bring in a hard running Pacific Islander centre, and an extra wing/full back and we're significantly stronger than last year.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I would seriously think of converting Wells into a full time blindside. Thoughts?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Anyone watch Cordero at the weekend and think......hope we recruit at least one good centre, convert or recruit someone to FB and/or one top class 10.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:45 am I would seriously think of converting Wells into a full time blindside. Thoughts?
Didn't he play Blindside throughout his entire Academy time here?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:11 am
Rugbyflanker wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:45 am I would seriously think of converting Wells into a full time blindside. Thoughts?
Didn't he play Blindside throughout his entire Academy time here?
Pretty sure him and Price where the two locks during the Academy and their time with England age grade,
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

jgriffin wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:48 am Anyone watch Cordero at the weekend and think......hope we recruit at least one good centre, convert or recruit someone to FB and/or one top class 10.
At the moment our first choice is

Veaniu; Holmes, Manu, Toomua, May; Ford, Youngs.

With a second choice of

Tait; Thompstone, Owen, Smith, Aspen-Robinson; Ford, Harrison.

Our second choice, IMO, is not going to scare anyone. A full back, and a 10/12, with Hardwick and Worth (As a 12) are as important, in my opinion as a new tight head.

Would be happy to let Owen and Cilliers go (along with J. Ford) if we could bring in a quality tight head and a 10/12.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

jgriffin wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:48 am Anyone watch Cordero at the weekend and think......hope we recruit at least one good centre, convert or recruit someone to FB and/or one top class 10.
Just anounced a 1 year extension with Exeter!

I don’t think the second string backs are as bad as some people make out. I think Worth will have a big part to play next season, looked good in the last few games he came off the bench.

Tait, Thompstone, Smith and Owen are all proven premiership players. Simmons can also play fullback. Hopefully Hardwick will make the step up next year for us as 10.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Thu May 10, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

He'd then be behind Kalamafoni, Mapalangi, etc.

Keep him at lock and use him.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I think we'd struggle to sign a top class 10 to be back up to another top class 10.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 am http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... er-tigers/

Released today
Says Cortes is a replacement for Mulipola. Not so - that's Leatigaga's role as long as we can secure his release a year ahead of time.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

strawclearer wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:47 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 am http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/0 ... er-tigers/

Released today
Says Cortes is a replacement for Mulipola. Not so - that's Leatigaga's role as long as we can secure his release a year ahead of time.
I imagine he is Baumann’s replacement. From what I’ve heard Cortes won’t let us down in the scrum which is the main thing.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

strawclearer wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:47 am

Released today
The Leatigaga signing is off apparently.