Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Holmes

Post by chris111 »

JP14 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:42 pm Holmes can play fullback
Has he actually played FB? He certainly looks to have very good positional sense and is strong in the tackle, but can’t say I’ve seen enough of him to get a sense of how good his defensive kicking is. If he’s not got much experience there, it’s a big ask for him to move straight into FB and learn on the job. Is there an Anglo-Welsh again next year? If so that would be the right environment for a player getting used to a positional change.

I do think Tigers have some decisions to make about the back 3. Not sure what TV’s contract is, but given what he’s said about his preference from playing on the wing, then I guess he could decide to go elsewhere unless Tigers start playing him there. Personally I liked Matt Tait playing 15 - yes, unfashionable, unspectacular....but in a team with people like May and Veainu playing on the wings (but in a ‘free form’ style, dropping back to run from deep) then then you don’t need fireworks from your FB...solidity will do.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

How would we accommodate TV on the wing though? May is our 11,the vast majority of pros pass off the right hand so you get more chances on the left so you always want your finisher there. Conversely you want your best defender and worker at 14 and TV isn't good enough,the best defensive winger I've seen at Tigers was Scully,play TV
possibly at 11 when Mays away or leave him at FB.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 am How would we accommodate TV on the wing though? May is our 11,the vast majority of pros pass off the right hand so you get more chances on the left so you always want your finisher there. Conversely you want your best defender and worker at 14 and TV isn't good enough,the best defensive winger I've seen at Tigers was Scully,play TV
possibly at 11 when Mays away or leave him at FB.
Tell that to Denny Solomona at Sale or Wade at Wasps who play at 14 and score loads of tries. They're hardly renowned for defensive excellence. Right handed players in front of them as well I believe.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

At premiership level the passing skills of the 10,12,13 is generally pretty good off both hands 😀. I’d agree with flankers theory a few levels further down the leagues.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Yes and look how much they concede! Ashton at Sarries too. All truly awful defenders!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I agree that moving Veainu to wing is not a great idea defensively. I would rather have that weakness at full back.

Ok so he prefers to play on the wing, but the needs of the team should come first. Doesn't mean he's going to leave because of it either.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

expect to see a lot of the likes of Kerr, Wells, Evans, Reffell, White/Simmons, Hardwick, Worth, Holmes etc next season.

Squads gonna be a tad smaller with higher quality and increased chances for younger players. Better balance.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Tiger93 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 am expect to see a lot of the likes of Kerr, Wells, Evans, Reffell, White/Simmons, Hardwick, Worth, Holmes etc next season.

Squads gonna be a tad smaller with higher quality and increased chances for younger players. Better balance.
It does seem like that's been said about Wells, Evans and Worth for the past few seasons. I hope you are right though.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Wells is clearly one of our better locks so should be in the 23.

Evans will be second choice 7 behind O'Connor with Thompson playing 8 predominantly. Its clear we play better with a 7.

Worth is versatile and can expect a fair amount of gametime in the centres and at 15.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Flash wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:37 am
Tiger93 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:28 am expect to see a lot of the likes of Kerr, Wells, Evans, Reffell, White/Simmons, Hardwick, Worth, Holmes etc next season.

It does seem like that's been said about Wells, Evans and Worth for the past few seasons. I hope you are right though.
I think the lack of depth has been damaging.
That list isn't better than what has been playing though IMO.
The A league team has been battered on several occasions, they need to do much more otherwise I can only see room for manoeuvre with a couple such as Simmons and Worth.
Holmes is a good example of what you can go out and find.
Were he connected and if he had come through at Leicester then he would have 60+ starts already in my opinion.
If the quality is as high and in such numbers as being touted by some then they should be winning or at least getting to the A league final in my opinion.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:19 am
The A league team has been battered on several occasions, they need to do much more otherwise I can only see room for manoeuvre with a couple such as Simmons and Worth.
Were he connected and if he had come through at Leicester then he would have 60+ starts already in my opinion.
If the quality is as high and in such numbers as being touted by some then they should be winning or at least getting to the A league final in my opinion.
Unfortunately, BFG, other teams such as Northampton throw 1st-teamers at the A League in order to win some form of trophy. Our Development + Loughboro' Uni teams have been battered by teams including the likes of Ratuniyawa, Adam Radwan, Tom Collins, Juan Pablo Socino, Maxime Mermoz etc while some games have been played with both the England U20s and Reffell (Wales U20s) unavailable due to the Six Nations U20s
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:05 pm
BFG wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:19 am
Unfortunately, BFG, other teams such as Northampton throw 1st-teamers at the A League in order to win some form of trophy. Our Development + Loughboro' Uni teams have been battered by teams including the likes of Ratuniyawa, Adam Radwan, Tom Collins, Juan Pablo Socino, Maxime Mermoz etc while some games have been played with both the England U20s and Reffell (Wales U20s) unavailable due to the Six Nations U20s
The crux of it is that considering the amount of names constantly touted for the 1st team surely better should be expected in the A league!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well it was a saints v Quins A league so how much does it really help?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:35 pm Well it was a saints v Quins A league so how much does it really help?
I am not really sure what you mean by this!
Do you mean Saints and Quins aren't that good as that's the impression I am getting from your comment, because if they aren't that good then surely if ours are that good by comparison then they should be beating them!
I'm not going to but I could list a full side of young names being regularly called for inclusion in the 1st team, that being the case surely it's fair to expect a consistent level of high performance in the A League.
Leicester used to do quite well in the A league and I thought it was a good sign of the strength in depth, it bred winners.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think RagingBull means that the A League this season was just a Northampton and Quins league as they were the only teams that took it too seriously than others. Northampton more than Quins as the former did play a prop at 4 (Josh Ibuanokope) 😂
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni