Holmes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Holmes

Post by fortysix »

Am I the only supporter who feels Holmes has been criminally treated ?
He is a rarity, a try scoring machine, always in the right place at the right time.
Similar in truth to Ashton, and maybe that is why he has been ignored?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Holmes

Post by TigerCam »

Austin eluded to the fact that the younger players should be given a bigger opportunity and I agree. It may take a few seasons but IMO home-grown talent and promising youngsters from other clubs an give a club the continuity they need. Holmes treatment may not be criminal but definitely mis-judged?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

9 tries in 10 appearances I think for this season. He was just starting to cement a spot in the first XV until he pulled his hamstring. No doubt he will play a big part for us next season.
Last edited by Leicestertinytiger on Sun May 06, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

No you're not! Criminally underused and potentially superb,great running lines and an inane ability to turn up in the right places.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Lets not blame his lack of appearances on his injury please!
Edit: How stupid does that sound haha? My point being let's not pretend that it's injuries that have done for him this season. He ripped it up preseason and never got a chance early season,ripped it up in the AWC and was not given a chance and scored in the AP and was still dropped!
Last edited by Rugbyflanker on Sun May 06, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think it was Wuss where he injured his hamstring. Up to then he had been a revelation.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Certainly injury against Worcester, but I think MOC had made his mind that we were going to play Thompstone because of his form last season
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Only debate for me is whether he might be a full-back in disguise! He can catch; he can tackle; he can run; looks ok positionally. If Telusa - whose tackling is a tad suspect - prefers wing, then.........maybe a swap? In any event, he gets my vote over Thompstone after an indifferent season by his standards.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Holmes can play fullback
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Don't get it,let your winger track and let your twinkletoes carry in space. 11.May 14.Holmes 15. Veainu.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I thought Holmes would be selected after his showing in pre season but Malouf got the nod and to be fair he did not let us down. Holmes try per game ratio is excellent and I did not understand his omission after he scored twice away at Wasps. Unfortunately wingers do not make good replacements on the bench which usually consists of a 9 and a 10 plus a utility back.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

fortysix wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:51 pm Am I the only supporter who feels Holmes has been criminally treated ?
He is a rarity, a try scoring machine, always in the right place at the right time.
Similar in truth to Ashton, and maybe that is why he has been ignored?
Why has been ignored? Due to Tigers current head coach thinking he knows better I'd say.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think in preseason we should experiment with Holmes, Olowofela and Pakalani as the back 3
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Thompstone and Malouf are hardly bad players. It's easy to look back at the season now and say that Holmes has been the most impressive of the three. Wasps got rid of him when he was 22, and he then spent 3 years in the Championship before Tigers signed him, so MOC is really not the first coach who wasn't instantly convinced Holmes is Premiership first XV quality.

Why can't we just be pleased that Tigers have unearthed a hidden gem of a winger who looks like he has everything, and be excited about seeing a lot more of him next season? Seems like one of the positive stories of the season to me, but there are some who can find a negative in anything.
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

I do get the impression that MOC decided his team in August and wasn't really prepared to adapt. Wells and Holmes are two examples of players that should have been starting every week IMO. Holmes wasn't even registered for the Champions cup which seems bizarre!

I agree though. It's great that we have found a player that looks like he will be successful for is in the future!