9 points for try/conversion and 1 minute scrums

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

9 points for try/conversion and 1 minute scrums

Post by ellis9 »

Will we see this introduced in the Northern Hemisphere?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... g-14598694
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: 9 points for try/conversion and 1 minute scrums

Post by strawclearer »

ellis9 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:06 pm Will we see this introduced in the Northern Hemisphere?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... g-14598694
The power try requires the scoring team to retain possession from their own 22 up until the try is scored. Presumably, possession is in doubt if the opposing side gets so much as a fingertip on the ball. Can you imagine the TMO involvement on that one???

Laughable - can't be bothered to read any more!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Agreed, it is a ridiculous idea. The 1 minute scrum rule is a good one but teams will work out a way to make it look like the opposition is trying to waste time.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Have the welsh realised that 1 April has long since past :smt030
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I like the scrum idea but until I see this power try thing seen in action I presume currently that it should never pass the trial comp
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Why not do away with scrums and line outs altogether, they waste too much time. Oh yes and rucks and mauls are always a mess so to avoid further confusion they will have to go. Finally to avoid teams not being inventive enough they will be forced to kick the ball away after, oh say 5 phases?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Or why not become franchises, move clubs around, wear helmets to prevent concussion :smt037 , nice soft pads, and tights, more official tea breaks, and pass the ball forwards, oh! :smt025
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

The power try requires the scoring team to retain possession from their own 22 up until the try is scored. Presumably, possession is in doubt if the opposing side gets so much as a fingertip on the ball. Can you imagine the TMO involvement on that one???

Laughable - can't be bothered to read any more!
Nope, the ball can go through unlimited phases and the Power Try would still remain live. The chance of a Power Try would be lost in the event of a penalty, scrum, lineout or turnover of possession, so no TMO involvement required.

I agree that many of the law changes take away or reduce the impact of the set pieces that are core to traditional rugby union, but it should encourage faster play, with the ball in play for far more of the 80 minutes.

As for seeing it in action, i'll be there tomorrow, watching it live from my box seat near the halfway line.
On paper I'm not keen on the changes but will give them a chance. It will certainly be hard for them to win me over on the lights on the posts though, especially based on what I have seen of them so far!

https://twitter.com/7NewsPerth/status/9 ... 78240?s=04
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rolling subs might be a good idea. Other than that I have little interest.

I was wondering why Lynagh, Campese etc were hyping it up so much, then I read the line "bankrolled by a billionaire".

So it's a vanity project for a rich guy who wants to create a legacy, and a few in rugby are happy to take his money until he realises it's all a waste of time.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Why have subs at all?

Other than for genuine injury, keep the starting XV all on for the full 80. Watch as the bigger, heavier forwards get tired and leave gaps for the backs to exploit. Marvel at how scrums are set and completed in 'quick-time' as forwards police each other to conserve energy and reduce total game time.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 am Rolling subs might be a good idea. Other than that I have little interest.

I was wondering why Lynagh, Campese etc were hyping it up so much, then I read the line "bankrolled by a billionaire".

So it's a vanity project for a rich guy who wants to create a legacy, and a few in rugby are happy to take his money until he realises it's all a waste of time.
Yes and no.

It is a bit of a vanity project, although he did first offer $70M to Rugby Australia to simply keep the Force franchise alive in Super Rugby but they rejected it. So this competition is his way of sticking two fingers up at them and keeping pro rugby alive in WA.

As for it being a "waste of time", there is a real chance that, if this competition gets off the ground properly as intended next year, it may actually become the successor to Super Rugby, which is dying on its feet due to internal politics within SANZAAR, dwindling crowds and lack of competitive fixtures between NZ franchises and everyone else!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

strawclearer wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:20 am Why have subs at all?

Other than for genuine injury, keep the starting XV all on for the full 80. Watch as the bigger, heavier forwards get tired and leave gaps for the backs to exploit. Marvel at how scrums are set and completed in 'quick-time' as forwards police each other to conserve energy and reduce total game time.
How do you assess if an injury is 'genuine'?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

biffer wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Independent medic with the power to assess claimed injuries/prognosis against future treatment/availability.

Or just give Deano a call.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

strawclearer wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:33 pm
biffer wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 12:13 pm

Independent medic with the power to assess claimed injuries/prognosis against future treatment/availability.

Or just give Deano a call.
Yeah, but not practical during a game. How long does someone need to be treated by a team physio before the independent medic is called in? How long to then make a decision? How do you know if someone has tweaked a muscle or is faking it? It's just completely unworkable.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

They could just stop the clock on scrums and restart when the ball reaches the scrum half. Touch judge to come in and referee the side opposite the ref.

It might be useful to restrict the ground that can be gained at a scrum to 5m take away the incentive to collapse it.

Similarly line out drives and mauls should not be treated too much differently - once 5m has been made the off side line reverts to the ball and side entry permitted. To avoid the choke tackle being overused :if the ball becomes unplayable, possession remains with the side going forwards at the ensuing scrum.