LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I'd put George in the negatives too,not many stand out games at all
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

G.K wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:39 pm
sapajo wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:33 pm Great article by Andy Goode on Falcons, Goneva and Tigers

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tigers-l ... andy-goode

This is perhaps the most perceptive comment

Tigers invested a lot in George Ford but that’s meant some of their other signings for this season and the next campaign have been pretty underwhelming.
Not much ROI there, in fact with swapping Burns it's negative in my view.
I think people only remember the moments of magic from Burns. They forget the games where he went missing, his game management is why he's the backup at Bath. Mauger had the right idea by moving him to 15.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rumour that Sale Sharks maybe interested in signing Mike Williams. Anyone heard anything similar?

Also Jimmy Stevens was named hooker for the Championship Dream Team. Not bad for a player who knows he will be 3rd choice.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh heard Williams is off.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Not sure how I feel about that one. Being brutally honest wasn’t too fussed with Hamilton going.

Williams I feel still has a lot to offer and has been showing glimpses of the form that got him into the EPS. Be sad to see him go but I guess his game time would be limited with the players coming in.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Matt toomua going to Saints so we can free up cap to sign Quade Cooper I think the plan is to have Ford at 10, Cooper at 12 but in the international period it gives us a international 10 that's available.

Shame as Toomua has been a standout...... :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:59 pm Rumour that Sale Sharks maybe interested in signing Mike Williams. Anyone heard anything similar?
The guy who sits in front of me at WR seems get a lot of information from somewhere and was saying on Friday night that Mike has been told he can go. This all came about when Mike came on as sub and someone around us shouted that MW should be starting games to which the gentleman in question responded with "there's no point doing that because he won't be here next season." I asked him way he thought that and he told me that MW had been told he is not needed.

If that's true then that's a shame as a fit and healthy Mike Williams is a hell of an asset. On the flipside, he's rarely fit and healthy and seems highly prone to arm injuries. Tricky one as he covers the back and second rows.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

If Williams goes, and Mafi comes in, is that a straight swap, or was Mafi already incoming? If they are not linked as such, then maybe Williams leaving makes cap space for an enforcer lock, with Mafi/Fitzgerald covering 6, behind Denton/Kalamafoni/Mapapalangi. Would definitely like Atwood.

Definite room for another centre, as has been said, someone capable of giving us some go forward, which also frees Toomua up to compete at 10. With Ford and Toomua, plus Worth/Hardwick for AWC, I think we're ok. Centre is more pressing need than 10. Find us another Seru Rabeni style centre.

Is Mulipola and potentially Cilliers going out, and Cortes & Ryan coming in, really an improvement? Got to factor in depth at LH too, depending on Rizzo's future. Is this a case of juggling the available cap? Not sure they'd command the same salary cap space as LM and PC. Definitely need some work here. Think
I'd prefer a young English project player as depth here, rather than another overseas signing.

Finally, a genuine wing/15 player to compete/cover Veianu, and I think we'll be laughing. Don't imagine Pakalani will stretch the cap too much, but did show promise before injury.

That's still a fair few signings to add in, will there be enough cap space???
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would be surprised if Mafi comes in and another locks does.

Maybe 2019/20 season but would be surprised if it was next season.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Telegraph saying Sale might announce the signings of Jackson and Olding along with others. So I guess we may find out soon if MW has been signed.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 pm Matt toomua going to Saints so we can free up cap to sign Quade Cooper I think the plan is to have Ford at 10, Cooper at 12 but in the international period it gives us a international 10 that's available.

This is a joke, right?!

Not bothered about Williams going, I know he was impressive a couple of years ago, but this season I think he's been one of our weakest links - some matches he has contributed sod all, apart from missed tackles.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RagingBull wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 pm Matt toomua going to Saints so we can free up cap to sign Quade Cooper I think the plan is to have Ford at 10, Cooper at 12 but in the international period it gives us a international 10 that's available.

Please confirm you are joking, I love your posts as you are well informed and accurate
Hehehehehehehehe
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Now now RB, there is no such thing as May fools. :smt018
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

:smt002

Fortunately I was joking sorry :smt018
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

The worrying thing is how on earth people cannot see that is a joke...especially with the :smt030 :smt030 :smt030 it could not be more obvious :smt017

I am happy for Williams to go he is another one that has not lived up and is always injured

I would happily see Kitchener, Cilliers, Ryan, and Brady all go.

Our main issue is our best 10 is our 12 and we have no other 12...pretty much like England in the 6 nations so we have to play Ford... :smt009