LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Rugbyflanker » Tue May 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Yes 450k pa for a guy away half the season was ridiculous!

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3525
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by strawclearer » Tue May 01, 2018 1:48 pm

MO'C responding to questions about squad changes:

🗣 “There is a little bit of ‘cap’ left and we will try and get the maximum usage out of what remains available.”
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by sapajo » Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm

strawclearer wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:48 pm
MO'C responding to questions about squad changes:

🗣 “There is a little bit of ‘cap’ left and we will try and get the maximum usage out of what remains available.”
Which means we will sign someone knackered through injury and on his final playing year.

Nominations ?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7081
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by RagingBull » Tue May 01, 2018 2:36 pm

sapajo wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:25 pm
strawclearer wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:48 pm
MO'C responding to questions about squad changes:

🗣 “There is a little bit of ‘cap’ left and we will try and get the maximum usage out of what remains available.”
Which means we will sign someone knackered through injury and on his final playing year.

Nominations ?
Stephan Donald?

TBH no DOR is going to say we got lots of cap and want to spend huge amounts of dough, as every agent in the world would be offering their players for more money.

Reckon we will have to wait a season for any "big names" though, next year the likes of Cilliers, Kitchener, Fitzgerald and Manu are out of contract.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7081
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by RagingBull » Tue May 01, 2018 2:49 pm

sapajo wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:33 pm
Great article by Andy Goode on Falcons, Goneva and Tigers

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tigers-l ... andy-goode

This is perhaps the most perceptive comment

Tigers invested a lot in George Ford but that’s meant some of their other signings for this season and the next campaign have been pretty underwhelming.
Regardless of the 10 here next season that would have been the case
Ford on around 425K
Owen reported to be on 400K at Glous
Freddie similar

The money spent to get Bath to release Ford is a non factor as we spend the cap.

The plan was to have Toomua cover 10 with Owen play at 12 with Manu or Tait from what I gather.
Trouble is Tigers seem to not know the term injury prone and fail to think that relying on them might be an issue.

TBF next campaign sigings to me at least have been much better
Thompson, Spencer, Denton and Mafi are all style of forwards we have greatly missed.
Last season signings mix bag
Pluses
Kalamafoni is much better than I thought he would be,
TPN is a big upgrade on our current Hookers,
Malouf has come on alot since that first game v Bath (shame he is off).
Mapapalangi certainly has potential
May has been electric IMO buts needs more time and space with the ball .
Holmes needs to play more but looks so good ball in hand and certainly looks a great finisher.
On the fence
Owen Looks very good but injury concerns.
Gigena need to see more of him.
Kerr same as Gigena but both look decent projects.
Negatives
Joe Ford
Ryan
Baumann
Pakalani
Traynor

I don't think the signings have been that bad this season TBH looking at it.
Last edited by RagingBull on Tue May 01, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Rugbyflanker » Tue May 01, 2018 2:49 pm

I'd take Haskell,would run through brick walls to try and get in England's RWC squad.

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm

I think the recruitment in the backrow is finished. Especially if Mafi comes in who can cover 6.

Still we are in need of 2 x props, at least 1 lock, maybe 2, backup FH and a winger/fullback. That’s another 5-6 players so fingers crossed.

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3525
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by strawclearer » Tue May 01, 2018 5:13 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm
I think the recruitment in the backrow is finished. Especially if Mafi comes in who can cover 6.

With Denton, Kalamafoni and Mapapalangi all now better 6's, I'm assuming Mafi will be a permanent fixture at lock - won't he?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

ghdav27
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by ghdav27 » Tue May 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm
I think the recruitment in the backrow is finished. Especially if Mafi comes in who can cover 6.

Still we are in need of 2 x props, at least 1 lock, maybe 2, backup FH and a winger/fullback. That’s another 5-6 players so fingers crossed.
I agree about the props. We currently have 5 locks, are you expecting some to leave or do you not consider this enough? Also what sort of back up FH? I can't see us signing someone that's a better 10 than toomua that's willing to or we would want to sit on the bench?

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2840
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:48 am
Location: In the office pretending to work

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by POSTIGER » Tue May 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm
I think the recruitment in the backrow is finished. Especially if Mafi comes in who can cover 6.

Still we are in need of 2 x props, at least 1 lock, maybe 2, backup FH and a winger/fullback. That’s another 5-6 players so fingers crossed.
I'm not convinced that Mafi is the player he was. Let's hope he's relatively cheap but I don't he will be.

I totally agree with your summary regarding what is required but if we are close to the cap as is rumoured then there's no way we'll be able to recruit in all the positions we need. All of which means we're potentially in the same position next season except instead of the back row being understrength it'll be a different department within the side, probably the backs.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Tue May 01, 2018 6:39 pm

ghdav27 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:39 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm
I think the recruitment in the backrow is finished. Especially if Mafi comes in who can cover 6.

Still we are in need of 2 x props, at least 1 lock, maybe 2, backup FH and a winger/fullback. That’s another 5-6 players so fingers crossed.
I agree about the props. We currently have 5 locks, are you expecting some to leave or do you not consider this enough? Also what sort of back up FH? I can't see us signing someone that's a better 10 than toomua that's willing to or we would want to sit on the bench?
If a quality lock like Mostert or Attwood was on the market, I would happily let either Fitzgerald or Kitchener leave, even with Spencer coming in.

A back up fly half like Myler would be a great signing. Allow Toomua to play 12 the entire season. Still think we’re in need of a right winger or full back who is of international class. Veainu has stated he favours the 14 shirt.

I guess the two tightheads will be Paddy Ryan and Cortes. Assuming Cilliers is leaving.

If we were being serious about challenging for the title then another centre is probably needed too. But wouldn’t be surprised if not even half of these needs are met.

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Rugbyflanker » Tue May 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Another 12 for me,allow Matt to play FH as much as possible. Worth looks a good shout for the AWC and Joe can play there if we are desperate.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3139
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by sam16111986 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:49 pm

Leicestertinytiger wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 4:41 pm
I think the recruitment in the backrow is finished. Especially if Mafi comes in who can cover 6.

Still we are in need of 2 x props, at least 1 lock, maybe 2, backup FH and a winger/fullback. That’s another 5-6 players so fingers crossed.
I doubt we'll see another flyhalf. Ford, Toomua, Worth, Hardwick and Joe Ford can all play 10 and have done this season. I'd rather we looked at getting a PI wing/centre someone who can offer some power at the minute Ford is short of players that will straighten the line, well that and a decent attacking structure from the coaches but I digress.

We need to give the forwards an edge. Wells has no problem getting involved and Genge loves it but there's too many passive forwards. We need more aggression.

G.K
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5646
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:19 am
Location: See SatNav

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by G.K » Tue May 01, 2018 8:39 pm

sapajo wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:33 pm
Great article by Andy Goode on Falcons, Goneva and Tigers

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tigers-l ... andy-goode

This is perhaps the most perceptive comment

Tigers invested a lot in George Ford but that’s meant some of their other signings for this season and the next campaign have been pretty underwhelming.
Not much ROI there, in fact with swapping Burns it's negative in my view.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.

G.K
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5646
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:19 am
Location: See SatNav

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by G.K » Tue May 01, 2018 8:41 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:49 pm
sapajo wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:33 pm
Great article by Andy Goode on Falcons, Goneva and Tigers

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tigers-l ... andy-goode

This is perhaps the most perceptive comment

Tigers invested a lot in George Ford but that’s meant some of their other signings for this season and the next campaign have been pretty underwhelming.
Regardless of the 10 here next season that would have been the case
Ford on around 425K
Owen reported to be on 400K at Glous
Freddie similar

The money spent to get Bath to release Ford is a non factor as we spend the cap.

The plan was to have Toomua cover 10 with Owen play at 12 with Manu or Tait from what I gather.
Trouble is Tigers seem to not know the term injury prone and fail to think that relying on them might be an issue.

TBF next campaign sigings to me at least have been much better
Thompson, Spencer, Denton and Mafi are all style of forwards we have greatly missed.
Last season signings mix bag
Pluses
Kalamafoni is much better than I thought he would be,
TPN is a big upgrade on our current Hookers,
Malouf has come on alot since that first game v Bath (shame he is off).
Mapapalangi certainly has potential
May has been electric IMO buts needs more time and space with the ball .
Holmes needs to play more but looks so good ball in hand and certainly looks a great finisher.
On the fence
Owen Looks very good but injury concerns.
Gigena need to see more of him.
Kerr same as Gigena but both look decent projects.
Negatives
Joe Ford
Ryan
Baumann
Pakalani
Traynor
Matt O Connor

I don't think the signings have been that bad this season TBH looking at it.
Fixed that for you..
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CrumblingTerrace and 2 guests