Transfers & Rumours Non Tigers 2016/17

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non Tigers 2016/17

Post by RagingBull »

Depends if they are just taking that from the Rugby Paper or not we'll find out soon.

Would make them very dangerous although their Front Row is still very target-able currently.

Grobler, Savage, Slater, Mortest and Galarza sounds like way too much cap wrap up in that position they could do with shipping Galarza and looking for a good project type player if that was the case.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I imagine Galarza, possibly Savage off. Also isn't Thrush leaving/retiring as well?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:01 am I imagine Galarza, possibly Savage off. Also isn't Thrush leaving/retiring as well?
Thursh is leaving hence why i didn't include him.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:54 am Depends if they are just taking that from the Rugby Paper or not we'll find out soon.

Would make them very dangerous although their Front Row is still very target-able currently.

Grobler, Savage, Slater, Mortest and Galarza sounds like way too much cap wrap up in that position they could do with shipping Galarza and looking for a good project type player if that was the case.
Grobler appears done. Mostert might be open still. Given how Galarza has barely played I'd imagine he'd be a favourite to be shipped out.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I'd love Mostert,but he would cost ridiculous money! I watched him play openside for Lions due to injuries and he really grew into the role as the game went on.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:30 pm I'd love Mostert,but he would cost ridiculous money! I watched him play openside for Lions due to injuries and he really grew into the role as the game went on.
Like Pieter-Steph du Toit, wouldn’t mind him in a Tigers shirt
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Jaco Kriel also confirmed as signing for Gloucs. They’ll be a force next year for sure...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Good signing for them to replace Moriarty. More bothered about their rumoured signings in the second row.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Genuine question(s) here. I don't watch a lot of Super Rugby (maybe a handful of games over the last few years) so I don't know that much about southern hemisphere players other than those that I've seen play for their countries and those that play in Europe.

The South African team has been fairly poor in recent years, and they haven't had a Super Rugby winning franchise since the Bulls' golden days with Habana etc. And yet, I keep reading name after name of South African player on this forum who Tigers should sign, or is going to a rival, and is a world class player (coaches too). Am I missing something? Or are some of these players being a bit over-hyped? A lot of them also seem to be in their late 20's and yet haven't had many (or any) caps for the Springboks, so why aren't they rated highly enough in their own countries to have significant international careers, but are billed as top drawer by some in the UK?

I'm also curious as to what the record might be for the number of players or coaches at one club who have previously been banned for taking steroids? Because Gloucester seem to be having a good crack at breaking it...
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Here's a quick heads up. Ackerman took over the Lions four years ago when they were SA worse side. In that space he turned them into a superb outfit,that not only kept the Bok power game but he even beat the NZ at their own game at times playing with pace and scoring some incredible trys! They had one of the world's best set of halfbacks and Midfield in Faf,Jantjes,Van Rensburg,Mapoe complimented by an awesome back row of Whitely,Ackermann,Kriel the world class hooker Marx,the brilliant lock Mostert and winger Combrink amongst others
Ok they didn't win it outright but lost two finals to Kiwi teams,one where Ackerman blew a home final resting players in a loss to the Jaguares,the other an early red card. Even so in full flow it was one of the best club sides I've seen. If you need to know more give me a shout
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:43 pm Here's a quick heads up. Ackerman took over the Lions four years ago when they were SA worse side. In that space he turned them into a superb outfit,that not only kept the Bok power game but he even beat the NZ at their own game at times playing with pace and scoring some incredible trys! They had one of the world's best set of halfbacks and Midfield in Faf,Jantjes,Van Rensburg,Mapoe complimented by an awesome back row of Whitely,Ackermann,Kriel the world class hooker Marx,the brilliant lock Mostert and winger Combrink amongst others
Ok they didn't win it outright but lost two finals to Kiwi teams,one where Ackerman blew a home final resting players in a loss to the Jaguares,the other an early red card. Even so in full flow it was one of the best club sides I've seen. If you need to know more give me a shout
So a bit like current Wasps - played some great rugby but ultimately won nothing?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:43 pm Here's a quick heads up. Ackerman took over the Lions four years ago when they were SA worse side. In that space he turned them into a superb outfit,that not only kept the Bok power game but he even beat the NZ at their own game at times playing with pace and scoring some incredible trys! They had one of the world's best set of halfbacks and Midfield in Faf,Jantjes,Van Rensburg,Mapoe complimented by an awesome back row of Whitely,Ackermann,Kriel the world class hooker Marx,the brilliant lock Mostert and winger Combrink amongst others
Different comp different styles.
Ackerman style suited Super rugby to a T,
Prem rugby well we will see how it works this season well it either worked out great or not so much bit like Glous every season.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Fissler says he's trying to confirm Paddy Jackson has agreed terms with Sale Sharks and Stuart Olding is considering a contract offer.

Of course, they're entitled to practice their trade having been found 'not guilty'. Glad it's not our problem, though.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

strawclearer wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:29 pm Fissler says he's trying to confirm Paddy Jackson has agreed terms with Sale Sharks and Stuart Olding is considering a contract offer.

Of course, they're entitled to practice their trade having been found 'not guilty'. Glad it's not our problem, though.
With the news from Sale that the rumours aren't true, I'm still hoping it's not our problem! (Right - off to see how Fissler squirms out of this one!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:00 pm
Different comp different styles.
Ackerman style suited Super rugby to a T,
Prem rugby well we will see how it works this season well it either worked out great or not so much bit like Glous every season.
The quality of rugby has improved dramatically. Glaws have a fairly average squad and injuries haven't helped. Their defence looks vastly improved and if they can find a suitable replacement at tighthead and can acquire a reliable flyhalf (Burns is even more unreliable than his brother and Williams is either injured or has fallen out with Ackerman) then I can see them overtaking us.