New coaching set up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

New coaching set up

Post by physiodan »

This is not a MOC or current coach bashing post but instead just a post to see who people would like coaching us back to former glory.

For me:
DOR Martin Johnson. Knows tigers, breaths Tigers and Bleeds Tigers. Perhaps not the coaching experience but that’s why I have him as a DOR.

Head Coach: Paul Gustard. Been learning his trade very well and due a controlling job. Knows the Leicester way but has also been part of the success of Saracens and is it a coincidence that they haven’t been the same force without him?

Backs Coach: Austin Healy. I know I will get shot down here but he talks sense and about time he puts his money where his mouth is.

Forwards coach: Mark Bakewell. Has been a breath of fresh air and eventually got the front 5 functioning.

Defence Coach: Brett Deacon. Another man who knows the club and prides himselfmon defence.

Skills coach: Matt Tomoua. I don’t think this role needs to be a full time coach and I would like to get him more involved in the club, particularly with the future in mind (another Pat Howard)

Scrum coach: Boris Stankovich. Done nothing wrong so let him continue
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: New coaching set up

Post by ellis9 »

Martin Johnson- Apparently he no longer is interested in modern day rugby so he isn't an option.

Paul Gustard- Yes, he is a realistic option.

Austin Healey- You're right, he talks sense and lots of it. He has a very intelligent rugby brain. Unfortunately, I think his court jester personality would annoy certain players, so he isn't an option.

Mark Bakewell- Not put a foot wrong since he has been at the club.

Brett Deacon- A decent option, however I would probably pick Anthony Allen ahead of him.

Matt Toomua- No. Leave him to play and not worry about coaching.

Boris Stankovich- Has done a great job with the scrum.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

IF we are talking fantasy here and not getting into subsection coaches likes Scrums, lineouts, skills etc
DOR - Deano (enough Said getting rid of the blazers in charge to get him back would be a small price to pay and I think he would look at the job if offered with the provisions that certain members are out)
Head Coach/Defence Coach - Andy Farrell (The guy clearly has that ability to lead look at his success might fancy a head coach role) Although would take Gustard aswell.
Forwards Coach - Bakewell (Been good enough start needs more tools)
Backs Coach - Sam Vesty (IMO the most promising young coach in England)

But can't see any of this happening so. :smt030
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Here's a doable one Deans and Parling for the lineout 😉
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Theoretically....
1. I've said this becore and I stand by it still, Jamie Joseph & Tony Brown had the right balance of gritty uncomplicated forward play coupled with sharp attacking intent in the backs, when at the Highlanders.
2. Deans as DOR does scream sense if he could recreate the Crusaders level of professionalism and ruthless dominance, couple him up with some talented younger coaches.

However, looking within the English ranks
1. I would love to see Gustard back at the club, bought a level of intensity to Sarries that other clubs just struggled to live with.
2. I can't ignore the success Exeter have had, and whilst it's clear Baxter is key, maybe Rob Hunter and Ali Hepburn could be prized away.
3. Farrell and Lancaster may have floundered with England, but Farrell is now doing well with Ireland, and Lancaster continues to get rave reviews at Leinster.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would cancel my season ticket if Lancaster came here as DOR, face it he’s not doing an awful lot at Leinster and I’m not having the man who almost ruined English Rugby come here and let’s not forget about his inconsistent selections as well.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:52 am I would cancel my season ticket if Lancaster came here as DOR, face it he’s not doing an awful lot at Leinster and I’m not having the man who almost ruined English Rugby come here and let’s not forget about his inconsistent selections as well.
I think Lancaster would be great for tigers.
Leinster are currently top of their conference and in the champions cup final? Jamie Heaslip has also been praising him as a coach.

While I agree he had completely lost his way by the end, initially he made big improvements to an England team who aside from one freak run to a world cup final had been dreadful since winning the world cup.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Lancaster is a good coach but he isn't a guy that leads a team.
And we miss leaders on and off the pitch.

How about
DOR - Cockerill
Head Coach - Mallinder
Forwards Coach - West
Backs Coach - Ford
skills Coach - Healey
Breakdown Coach - Back

Place hidden cameras behind the scenes and focus on making a drama reality show.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Director of Rugby (Replacing Ged Glynn as Head of Rugby Operations): Robbie Deans.
Head Coach: Matt O'Connor - Oooooh, controversial.
Forwards Coach: Mark Bakewell
Scrum Coach (First team, A-League and Academy): Boris Stankovich
Assistant Forwards Coach (First team line out; A-League and Academy Forwards Coach): Louis Deacon
Defense Coach: Brett Deacon
Backs Coach: Mike Catt
Assistant Backs Coach (First team, A-League and Academy Backs Coach): Anthony Allen
Skills/Half Back Coach: Austin Healey

Now, I know that a couple of those won't be popular, but...

Keeping MoC, along with Bakewell, Boris and Brett holds onto a level of stability that I think we need.
Bringing in Deans keeps the selection away from Matt, he wants to coach, it's obvious he wants to coach, so let him.
Deans, O'Connor, Bakewell and Catt are all experienced, and are "outsiders", however having Boris, the Deacons, Allen and Healey in and around it holds onto the Leicester ethos we need, without overpowering it and making it our sole focus.

Obviously it is quite an inflated coaching set up, so you'd imagine Deans, OConnor, Bakewell, Catt, Brett and Healey would be your matchday coaches, except during the LV when Boris, Deacon x2 Allen and Healey would be on duty. In fairness, I'd imagine Allen and L Deacon would have very limited impact on first team coaching, but would be vital for bridging the gap between the academy and the first team.

It would also allow Deans to put the pressure on Simon Cohen to get the players he wants, re-sign the players he wants and not allow any slip ups, similar to Logo situation.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

6 months ago I would’ve agreed with you, TIRITH, I thought MOC could do the job as a head coach with a DOR above him but now as a look at a decent Tigers side who’s forwards have given the backline a decent platform yet squandered it with one-dimensional attacking play. I wasn’t up for MOC sacking at 1st (I was very quiet on the threads devoted to that topic) but after defeat to Northampton and Newcastle I am now totally up for it.

Robbie Deans is a really good shout at DOR, Vesty would be ideal at backs coach but he’s being paid big bucks at Northampton.

Does anyone else think that Matt Smith should become player/coach next season?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Why would Austin Healey want to give up a cushy, well paid and secure TV role for a very insecure coaches job, he has to think of his life style, family and 4 girls. I cannot see Tigers even coming near to paying anything approaching a living salary to a family man for a minor coaching position? Important one but not that lucrative. Ridiculous suggestion in MO.