LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

really can't say I'm bothered about Hamilton leaving, I think he sums up the problem of late, too many players that are just "solid performers" not enough match winners
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Can't we get Brad Thorn back? Look at what he's doing with the Reds!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Dave Attwood has been very good for Toulon since going out on loan from Bath.

If he wants back to Prem rugby but away from Bath we could make much worse additions. He runs the line-out as well as Kitch even if he is a slightly worse jumper - an area Kitch is outstanding in. That aside Attwood is viewed as one of the top scrummaging locks in the country and is better in defence than Kitch or Fitz.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:08 am 3. In need of some quality THs. Is Jackson and Cortes the right signings we need or do we need someone better to fill the void of Mulipola.
Who's Jackson?

For me, we need two more props. Assuming Genge and Cole are with England next year, and Rizzo doesn't stay. That leaves us Bateman, Gigena, Cilliers and potentially Cortes as our only remaining senior props. That's not much depth, especially given injury history. Not sure who.
Hooker I'm ok with. Youngs & Polota Nau are high calibre, Stevens and Kerr should be able standings for the amount of gametime Thacker and Mcguigan had.
Locks, still maybe a that big grizzly enforcer short, but there are maybe higher priorities. Agree wit above, Attwood would be a cracking option, but we may need to trim out one of Kitchener, Fitzgerald or Wells to make room with Spencer already added.
Back row, appears better balance now. I rated Hamilton, but Thompson and Denton are decent additions, probably upgrades.
9, more than adequately covered, one international, one talented clubman and two prospects.
10, definitely need to address and alternative to Ford when he's away, also someone to keep the pressure on. If this is Toomua, then we need to address the 12 shirt instead. Someone beyond Tuilagi and Owen on midfield is required if they continue to have injury issues, someone to provide a bit of an attacking impetus, as I think Smith/Tait are steady but not dangerous. Maybe go with a line busting 12/13, and have Toomua and further back Hardwick step up to replace Ford. Worth be a 10/12 option too.
Finally an alternative fullback to push/cover Veianu, maybe a wing/fullback for added cover. I'd probably give Pakalani another season, and utilise Olowofela too.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Hamilton was too slow to play openside, too small to play no.8 and didn’t have the grunt to play blindside. A good player, but nothing special.

Denton and Thompson are massive upgrades in my opinion.

Also where is this Mike Williams leaving rumour coming from?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby Paper saying Mafi to make his decision today also says his decision could mean Mike Williams will be surplus to requriements and is attracting attention from 2 Prem Clubs, Not sure who they might be.

So looking like recruitment wise currently
Cortes for Logo
Stevens for McGugian
Mahoney for Thacker
Spencer for Barrow
Mafi for Williams
Denton for Hamilton
Thompson for Ryan
Aspland Robinson for Brady

With about 6/7 more leavers.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:43 am Rugby Paper saying Mafi to make his decision today also says his decision could mean Mike Williams will be surplus to requriements and is attracting attention from 2 Prem Clubs, Not sure who they might be.

Cortes for Logo
Stevens for McGugian
Mahoney for Thacker
Spencer for Barrow
Mafi for Williams
Denton for Hamilton
Thompson for Ryan

My take on that:

Cortes for Logo -significant downgrade
Stevens for McGugian - downgrade
Mahoney for Thacker - downgrade
Spencer for Barrow - slight upgrade?
Mafi for Williams - like for like?
Denton for Hamilton - significant upgrade
Thompson for Ryan - significant upgrade
Aspland Robinson for Brady - slight downgrade?

Let's hope there's some more quality additions in the pipeline, namely a quality FH and a centre who isn't made of biscuits would be good.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
ghdav27

Post by ghdav27 »

POSTIGER wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:09 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:43 am Rugby Paper saying Mafi to make his decision today also says his decision could mean Mike Williams will be surplus to requriements and is attracting attention from 2 Prem Clubs, Not sure who they might be.

Cortes for Logo
Stevens for McGugian
Mahoney for Thacker
Spencer for Barrow
Mafi for Williams
Denton for Hamilton
Thompson for Ryan

My take on that:

Let's hope there's some more quality additions in the pipeline, namely a quality FH and a centre who isn't made of biscuits would be good.
Probably an accurate assessment but we are never going to be able to keep 2 hookers of the standard of Thacker and mcguigan as third and fourth choice and it would probably be a waste of money. Hopefully S A R (I know nothing about him but presumably he has potential) Mahoney and Kerr can kick on and become quality players. I think the prop situation is worrying, fine at full strength, weak otherwise.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Aspland-robinson is a upgrade on Brady if solely on potential.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

ghdav27 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:14 am
POSTIGER wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:09 am

Cortes for Logo
Stevens for McGugian
Mahoney for Thacker
Spencer for Barrow
Mafi for Williams
Denton for Hamilton
Thompson for Ryan

My take on that:

Probably an accurate assessment but we are never going to be able to keep 2 hookers of the standard of Thacker and mcguigan as third and fourth choice and it would probably be a waste of money. Hopefully S A R (I know nothing about him but presumably he has potential) Mahoney and Kerr can kick on and become quality players. I think the prop situation is worrying, fine at full strength, weak otherwise.
Couldn't agree more. Thacker and McGuigan will both be on decent wages and have seldom been used. I just hope the wages their departure has freed up hasn't already been spent when we need some serious reinforcements in the back line.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

You can definitely see there is a plan to re-balance the squad under MOC which is also good value for money.

Thacker and McGuigan would have been on some wedge to only be 3rd and 4th choice hookers. With two starting hookers, and Kerr and Mahoney coming through it makes perfect sense to let them go. Stevens will know his squad place so won’t cause any disruption.

Same with Mulipola and Cilliers, both were on a lot of money for individuals who we have seen the best of and have injury problems.

The backrow has been a massive problem all season. The players coming in are all massive upgrades in that department. Same with Spencer, a great signing who is better than Barrow.

Brady has hardly played and was never amazing. Aspland-Robinson hopefully will come good and has more potential.

So far I think you can’t criticise the club in its transfer dealings. Hopefully they are nowhere near done yet and we will have a significantly better squad going into next season.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Denton a significant upgrade on Hamilton? Not for me.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I think we have one of the Premiership's best blindsides (Kalamafoni) and the most exciting winger (Veainu).

So - who's going to be our first choice No.8 and our regular FB?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

If we are going to move Kala to 6 it has to be Thompson.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:10 pm Denton a significant upgrade on Hamilton? Not for me.
whilst I'm not sure about whether Denton is an upgrade or not Hamilton is vastly overrated by some on here he is a solid player nothing more than that, his biggest skill is being a jack of all trades back rower