Have we just fallen foul of the worst tmo ever made?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Have we just fallen foul of the worst tmo ever made?

Post by Tomvarndell »

Make no mistake we were poor. We don't deserve much. However that last decision is a farce. Rugby is a loser for that joke of a decision
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Have we just fallen foul of the worst tmo ever made?

Post by Smudge »

The ref said he couldn't remember if he had blown so allowed the second attempt at a try. Was he at fault? Yes. Was the TMO overruled yes. A draw was a fair result. But am sitting here feeling robbed.
A life long Tiger
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

The fairness of the result though is irrelevent. As I've said, we were poor against a very average side and therefore my sympathy for us is minimal. That said a similar decision to what I've just witnessed could decide a final, although the severity of the decision just made isn't insignificant anyway. I'm stunned at the incompetence and also can not understand why our captain was not all over the ref reminding him he had blown his whistle prior to the try being scored. I'm in shock.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Smudge wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:03 pm The ref said he couldn't remember if he had blown so allowed the second attempt at a try. Was he at fault? Yes. Was the TMO overruled yes. A draw was a fair result. But am sitting here feeling robbed.
How would you get a draw out of that? Disallow the try and we win, allow the try but disallow the conversion, or do you mean miss the conversion, but he clearly got that?
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

The TMO has given the try based on the second attempt over the top. If the ref hadn’t blown his whistle why did he go to the TMO in the first place because he was right in front of this attempt and fully sighted of it. The ref went to the TMO because he couldn’t see the grounding on the first attempt and the replays couldn’t show a clear grounding. Very poor communication between the ref and the TMO. The ref should have said disregard the second attempt, was the first attempt a try or not. We were totally cheated out of the win. Despite that when we went 10 points up we just seem to switch off which is unforgivable. Other than his place kicking, George Ford had a poor game and we have lost both games since he took over the 10 shirt from Toomua. Honestly believe Toomoa should be 10 for next season.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Was at the ground so didn’t know about the communication breakdown. All I can say is in real time it looked like a try (from a pretty good angle in Crumbie) and the big screen replay seemed fine as well. Notwithstanding this we were beaten by the better team on the night so no complaints.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought the Falcons try at the end was good.
Only the officials combined to make a drama of it.
No8

Post by No8 »

The original question to the TMO was "Try, yes or no?" No clear grounding from the first attempt, so Pearce then asked if he had blown his whistle before the second grounding; he then changed his question to, "Is there any reason why I can't award the try?"

No clear grounding on the original attempt - no try. Pearce had clearly blown up (not literally, unfortunately) when Hogg was still in the air - no try. Hogg's knee was clearly on the ground before the second attempt, so regardless of the whistle debate it was a double movement - no try.

Regardless of how poorly we played, it's ludicrous that with the technology available, the referee and TMO can become so utterly confused that they get such an important decision so wrong!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I suggest you watch the replay with the sound up. The ref blew his whistle before the second attempt.
We were robbed, pure and simple.
A life long Tiger
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Also Hogg was tackled and held. He never released the ball then got up and jumped over for second attempt. So on two counts it was no try . No release, and whistle blown.

Having said that .. we didn't deserve to win .. any team that are 10 points up 10 mins to go and can't defend it don't deserve it. Any international fly half gets ball in possession mid field with 7 mins on the clock and hoofs it to the opposition needs shooting. Ball won back 3 mins 40 on the clock.. any scrum half who hoofs it back to the opposition should join that fly half against the wall in front of the firing squad.

Our half backs haven't got a clue and 2 of them play for England!!!
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

mightymouse speaks the truth. I'm posting this in the early hours of Saturday 28th April 2018, feeling like the radio operator on Titanic.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

MM, whatever you think of our halfbacks, the result of the game was down to the decision of the referee. pure and simple.
Yes there were faults we all saw but if that wrong decision wasn't made, we would have won. I can remember heaps of games when we snatched victory at the death but not one when we were the beneficiaries of such a poor decision.
Your comments about the half backs combining to loosing it are fair but they are not poor players. We know just how good they can play because we have seen them. So,what went wrong in the last two games? Ford has a good rugby brain but he was clearly playing to instructions and he is certainly not a strong, nasty captain. YBY kicked a lot of ball away and didn't look at his fittest but again, Ben was playing to orders. Surely our halfbacks play better when they enjoy some freedom. It was there in patches and should have brought us victory when we were 10 up. Rugby is played in your top two inches so why did these really good players , who clearly know what the game is about, not close it out then?
Our defence, against a very strong pack was really very good and we nullified wave after wave of strong rolling mauls and pick and drives. We had obviously prepared for this an training , and it showed.
But teams have done their homework on us and found our weaknesses. So if Deano and Wellsey can spot them, why can't we and act upon them?
I hope and trust that Mr Pearce will be duly sanctioned but I doubt it. As usual, we shrug our shoulders and look forward to the next game.
A life long Tiger
scrum1/2
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by scrum1/2 »

In my opinion it wasn’t just the final moment that the ref got wrong and cost us the game

- in the final couple of minutes of the first half he pinged I think O’Connor for off his feet (he said he was on his knees) when the replay (and his reaction) showed he clearly wasn’t and those 3 points were the difference at the end

- sin binning a player he had clearly seen on the ground following a knock on the head who was trying to get back to defend and obviously was not fully in control was just wrong and meant we had to defend a line out and subsequent series of plays without a key defender creating the opportunity

Well done Falcons and over the season we haven’t done enough to get into the top 4 ( maybe even top 6) but the decisions of the ref had a major impact on yesterday’s result.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I can't argue with that mate.
A life long Tiger
scrum1/2
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by scrum1/2 »

Just to add it may also be the most costly bad decision ever as well - not only wont we make top 4 but may miss out on top 6 depending on the other results- whereas a win would have kept us in contention and having top 4 in our own hands. Don’t know the total cost of that but missing out on Champions trophy must be worth a lot and top 4 playoff worth something too!