Tigers v Newcastle Falcons

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Newcastle Falcons

Post by DaveRave »

Typical Tigers - get into a winning position, stop playing, kick the ball away aimlessly, lose at the death.
Will they NEVER learn?
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

Well said, MrPartridge. Your sarcasm does you credit. I am posting this from April 1997 in the hopes that it will appear in the correct thread position on the message board in 2018.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Smudge wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:25 pm
...I have to say I was a bit annoyed at the attitude of some players at the end who were having a laugh.
I don't believe loosing at home in a vital game is a cause for levity. The shirt should mean more than that.
Well there you go, it clearly doesn't for some and that is not the frst time that's been noticed.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

DaveRave wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:03 am Typical Tigers - get into a winning position, stop playing, kick the ball away aimlessly, lose at the death.
Will they NEVER learn?
Obviously not and our 'International' half-backs are the worst. I'm sick to death of seeing them kick the ball away aimlessly near the half way line in an attacking situation! :smt013

Sure it was an appalling decision by the ref (he effectively invented a new referral question of "any reason not to not award the try"?), but Tigers should not have been there in the first place!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Louis

Post by Louis »

I've been briefly optimistic at points of this season, and I'm certainly not wise enough to know what the remedy is, although "Sack Cockers"* seems to be top among the options.

Nostradamus I am not, but I saw at ~71 mins we were going to lose it. I can't focus on one specific act (although kicking ball away certainly would feature) but the...feel...of the match shifted. We were in the game up until then, fighting toe to toe with a very motivated and, for long stints of the game, weakened Falcons playing well above their paper strength. There was a period of mid-game dominance by Tigers that made me think we had it in the bag, bit of an arm wrestle, but it was ours. Come the last ten, the fizz left us. Don't know how or why, but we seemed to go into our shells, not retain ball, not bash the contact areas quite so hard, and Falcons sensed it. Opportunity taken, Ref decisions cut both ways sometime, so I can't blame that, Falcons steal a good win.

Aside: I don't know what it is about Micky Young, I don't like his face. Totally irrational, completely unfair, but I had a brief wish that Genge would quietly dot him one. Unworthy of me.

*Yes, this is extracting the Michael.
AceRugby

Post by AceRugby »

Gutted and disappointed as are many on here, another record gone. Numerous teams making big strides forward yet Tigers are standing still.
I am not saying MOC's fault but iI have not been impressed with him bar 1 or 2 games. I think the attack is poor and skill levels are weak for the world class backs we have. I think Geordan should go and if MOC is backs coach he should go also.,
Also while I am on my soap box, I think Genge is a great raw talent and could be world class but he needs to play smarter, too many stupid penalties, the Falcons young prop played him like a fool early doors.
As several have said yes we were robbed by that final decision but did we deserve the win? What I would say is 10 points up and (as many times in the last few years) we stop attacking and the opposition come back into the game, probably why so few bonus point wins. Sarries, Wasps, Chiefs all go for the kill by playing the same style and pour on the pain. We must change this mind set for next year and I this sits with the players.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

As was said before the match, players will have to produce their best performances to win. Sadly too many under-performed and if truth be told have under-performed regularly thought the season.

Kitchener 0 metres carrying the ball, Fitzgerald 1 metre, I'm not sure May or Veaniu made a tackle all evening. A line-out that failed to function yet again. Too many players standing off at the breakdown rather then getting stuck in. Substitutions based on time rather than match needs. Too many players going through the motions rather than showing a hunger to win.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Why was Micky Young booed off the pitch when he was substituted? Did I miss anything?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Tigers got was deserved. You cannot continuously give the ball away and win a game. We had so much dominance in certain areas of the game, like the scrum and yet we coughed the ball up time and again in the line out, the breakdown and through handling errors. Once again the stats looked in our favour and yet we cannot convert possesion in the 22.
Worst of all is the amount of ball wasted by our international half backs. They squander ball through aimless, woeful kicking. Opposition must love it. It must be like getting a Get Out Of Jail Free card. We are constantly told that our forwards are not good enough, not up to the level of predecessors and yet men like Genge and O'Connor leave their guts out on that pitch and witness the half backs letting them down every game. Yes there are improvements in the 2nd row and back row that could be made but if we cannot win games with the amount of possession that we have had in the last 2 games then there is a serious problem.
We are always concerned that we have players like Tuilagi and May fit and yet they never see the ball so why bother spending all that money on them? Frankly you could play anyone in our outside backs at the moment as long as they can tackle because they are not going to get the ball.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Not sure why Micky Young was booed off but can I suggest that it was probably down to him being a niggling, irritating scrum half constantly in the referees face and displaying undoubted pride in the shirt he had on his back, oh how we could do with some of that!!

Congratulations to Deano and John Wells on a superb game plan. Absolute belief and confidence that they could soak up the pressure from our inept attack. I thought there were signs that the Falcons were crumbling when we went 10 in front. But in true Tigers of old tradition they displayed leadership on the pitch and backed themselves to up the pace and give themselves every chance to score against our inept defence.

Never say die, leadership, doggedness, belief, aggression, bottle, team spirit, pride, Newcasle Falcons are the old Leicester Tigers.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:16 pm Did anyone hear on BT what Deano said they’d worked on targeting as our defensive weakness?

Before everyone says “everything” he mentioned something specific but I missed it
He said “we looked at Leicester and they have deficiencies in the A,B,C area, we targeted them there and knew they were pretty poor in that area”

I’m assuming he means around guard and body guard at the rucks, where time and time again we’ve been caught asleep or missed tackles which have led to tries. We knew Nikki does this but even in the first seconds, couldn’t stop it. Again Gopperth called it right, Cole missed the tackle for the first Geneva try but Fitz hung him out to dry by not covering inside. It’s poor, lack of concentration and shows to me that the defensive structures are not fully understood. As for the line speed at the end, where was it ?! I’m guessing with Toomua off, nobody was leading the defensive line.

We looked so good a couple of games ago....I question Ben Youngs. Top top player but he makes some crazy decisions sometimes. Box kicking aimless at times, and passing was off as well. Sam Harrison was key to us having more threats going forward in previous games....sadly he was watching from the bench.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:27 am As was said before the match, players will have to produce their best performances to win. Sadly too many under-performed and if truth be told have under-performed regularly thought the season.

Kitchener 0 metres carrying the ball, Fitzgerald 1 metre, I'm not sure May or Veaniu made a tackle all evening. A line-out that failed to function yet again. Too many players standing off at the breakdown rather then getting stuck in. Substitutions based on time rather than match needs. Too many players going through the motions rather than showing a hunger to win.
You clearly missed 2 or 3 sprints from May which ended in him tackling an opponent then.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:56 am Not sure why Micky Young was booed off but can I suggest that it was probably down to him being a niggling, irritating scrum half constantly in the referees face and displaying undoubted pride in the shirt he had on his back, oh how we could do with some of that!!

Congratulations to Deano and John Wells on a superb game plan. Absolute belief and confidence that they could soak up the pressure from our inept attack. I thought there were signs that the Falcons were crumbling when we went 10 in front. But in true Tigers of old tradition they displayed leadership on the pitch and backed themselves to up the pace and give themselves every chance to score against our inept defence.

Never say die, leadership, doggedness, belief, aggression, bottle, team spirit, pride, Newcasle Falcons are the old Leicester Tigers.
I'd imagine it had something to do with him showing a footballeresque attitude by the way he approached the ref and asked or told him to review the footage after we had scored. The correct decision was made but he was wrong to go to the ref. He wasn't the captain.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

It seems to me that Tigers are lacking a captain with on the field « presence », to show who’s boss and to ensure that the players remain 100% focused on the game. George Ford, if he was captain, yesterday, does not have those qualities. So who will be captain next season? Sadly, I can’t see anyone who could fit the bill.
Semper in excretia
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Done by one of our own. Grit and dogged cussedness, Yep Deano don't change. Recent coaching changes have also done nothing to eradicate the trait over the last 5 or more seasons of kicking the ball aimlessly to the opposition strike runners and then appearing surprised that they make huge territorial gains ably assisted by a lack of tackling.
I'm not cynical just experienced