LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by Stephen18 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:19 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:57 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 am McGuigan is a good young hooker, but never hit the heights which were expected of him. Nowhere in the league of the likes of Tommy Taylor, Cowan-Dickie and Singleton coming through which are the bench mark for that age group in the position.
Your probably right thats he isn’t that level, but even if he was I can’t imagine any young hooker can come through and reach that potential at tigers. All the players mentioned have been given the vast majority of there games as starting hooker when fit. That won’t happen at tigers whilst Youngs is here and now Tataufa who also isn’t getting the number 2 shirt over Youngs. Until tigers change there mentality of name over performance tigers want develop those kind of players.
I'd argue that Youngs and Polota-Nau are both in the team on the merit of their performances, and both better players than Mcguigan. If a youngster comes through and is better than the players ahead of him, I'm sure he will be allowed to break into the first team.

I doubt many head coaches have ever thought "Player A is the best we have in that position, but I'm going to pick Player B because of his name - who cares whether we win or not!".
You believe Youngs is in the team on merit, with his lineout stats, did he also not complain about the new hooking looks because it meant he had to hook the ball. I agree McGuigan new moved on but I also don’t believe he had any opportunity to same with Thacker both played and showed enough to be given chances during the multiple spells of poor form, but yet they never got them. As for the player A over player B I believe your right about other clubs such as Exeter and Sarries who have identified potential young and given those players the chances at 19 Farrell for Hodgeson, Itoji and Isiekwe for Kelly Brown, Skelton, Hamilton. George for Britzs. Exeter Simmons for Waldren, Armand for Kvesic and Salvi. Again I will admit the 2 players I’ve listen may not have reach those levels but it seems as a young player at tiger you must look and think whos been given a chance to come through, even Wells at 25, 2 years older than Itoji and 6 ovet Isiekwe and still can get a start over and under preforming Fitzgerald and Kitchener.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Tigers, like one or two other top teams, have always been reticent about giving youngsters a chance. It would be interesting to find out Bakewell 's thoughts on Harry Thacker who has a top notch rugby brain, but as yet, not the brawn. Judging by results not many of the current batch look good enough to progress.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Thacker going to Bristol is a great move for all parties involved. He gets more regular game time over there and then we can finally judge him with a run of games under his belt.

No doubt if he smashes it with them in a couple of years he will be back with Tigers as Youngs Polata-Nau won’t be around for ever.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

I think mc guigan and barrow were both rightly allowed to leave, poor attitudes and drinking in the stands while ‘supporting’ team mates is not on.
I’m a medic and been around elite support and 5his is detrimental to the moral, rules are in place and they should have been concentrating and supporting, learning, developing the TEAM game. Not having a laugh and a :censored: up. In club tracksuits too ....throw the book at them.

Time and a place for it, during a match on ‘work’ time, representing the club on match day, shows there personality and professionalism levels, speaks volumes

Wrong attitude, wrong club.
maire88
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maire88 »

Speaking of hookers, the re-signing of Jimmy Stevens from Nottingham is a done deal. Announced at tonight’s Nottingham Rugby end of season awards evening.
Formerly hww27
Proud to have been the Tom Youngs Fan Club since 2010
Rhinos rule :smt002 :smt050
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

1988 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 pm I think mc guigan and barrow were both rightly allowed to leave, poor attitudes and drinking in the stands while ‘supporting’ team mates is not on.
I’m a medic and been around elite support and 5his is detrimental to the moral, rules are in place and they should have been concentrating and supporting, learning, developing the TEAM game. Not having a laugh and a :censored: up. In club tracksuits too ....throw the book at them.

Time and a place for it, during a match on ‘work’ time, representing the club on match day, shows there personality and professionalism levels, speaks volumes

Wrong attitude, wrong club.
Is this meant to be sarcastic? Rugby player drinks beer shock horror. They were in the stands supporting, I’d be more annoyed if they weren’t drinking and enjoying the game, like the rest of the people there.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BBC says that McGuigan missed most of this season due to a neck injury but that’s not true, is it?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Stephen18 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:43 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:19 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:57 pm
Your probably right thats he isn’t that level, but even if he was I can’t imagine any young hooker can come through and reach that potential at tigers. All the players mentioned have been given the vast majority of there games as starting hooker when fit. That won’t happen at tigers whilst Youngs is here and now Tataufa who also isn’t getting the number 2 shirt over Youngs. Until tigers change there mentality of name over performance tigers want develop those kind of players.
I'd argue that Youngs and Polota-Nau are both in the team on the merit of their performances, and both better players than Mcguigan. If a youngster comes through and is better than the players ahead of him, I'm sure he will be allowed to break into the first team.

I doubt many head coaches have ever thought "Player A is the best we have in that position, but I'm going to pick Player B because of his name - who cares whether we win or not!".
You believe Youngs is in the team on merit, with his lineout stats, did he also not complain about the new hooking looks because it meant he had to hook the ball. I agree McGuigan new moved on but I also don’t believe he had any opportunity to same with Thacker both played and showed enough to be given chances during the multiple spells of poor form, but yet they never got them. As for the player A over player B I believe your right about other clubs such as Exeter and Sarries who have identified potential young and given those players the chances at 19 Farrell for Hodgeson, Itoji and Isiekwe for Kelly Brown, Skelton, Hamilton. George for Britzs. Exeter Simmons for Waldren, Armand for Kvesic and Salvi. Again I will admit the 2 players I’ve listen may not have reach those levels but it seems as a young player at tiger you must look and think whos been given a chance to come through, even Wells at 25, 2 years older than Itoji and 6 ovet Isiekwe and still can get a start over and under preforming Fitzgerald and Kitchener.
I'm not arguing whether you or I think Youngs is in the team on merit - it's whether those who pick him do, or whether they are just picking him because of his name. I am 100% convinced that they pick him on the merit that they perceive.

Wells isn't as good as Itoje or Isiekwe.
None of our youngsters are as good as Farrell or George.
It's quite a few years since Armand could be considered a youngster.
Tiger Cub

Post by 1988 »

I don’t think drinking in the stands is okay for players. If it was, why do they hide it from camera?

They know it’s wrong and they know they are on club time
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

1988 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:08 am I don’t think drinking in the stands is okay for players. If it was, why do they hide it from camera?

They know it’s wrong and they know they are on club time
I dont know as they do, it was just noticeable bacause bt sport mentioned it, if the club didn’t want them to drink they wouldn’t drink. As for those 2 specifically I that point I assume they already knew that wouldn’t be tigers players next season, but yet have still come to support the team.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Have seen players from other teams drinking in the stands during matches.....personally dont have a problem with it as long as it is done sensible and responsibly....it was not as though they were hammered and behaving in a poor manner.
They were either injured or not required for that match but still turned up to support the team.
I am sure that they would have been disciplined if this was deemed to be unacceptable.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Here it is as promised, my David Denton tribute. :smt023

https://youtu.be/FBz1yH-aopI
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Quality player! With Kalamafoni playing so well, Denton will easily be the starting 6!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

I wouldn't write Williams off yet,finding his best form again until the unfortunate injury.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:27 pm I wouldn't write Williams off yet,finding his best form again until the unfortunate injury.
With Denton and Thompson coming I wonder if Williams may make more of a move to 2nd row, especially with the Mafi rumours going quiet

Would be great as 2nd runner round the corner.
Last edited by Mark62 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.