LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by sapajo »

Kitto is long gone.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 pm Leavers and/or rumoured leavers since start of this season.
Rizzo? -
Traynor? -
Thacker -
Mcguigan? -
Mulipola - Cortes?
Cilliers? -
Baumann? -
Betts -
Barrow - Spencer
Croft - Mafi?
Hamilton? - Thompson
Ryan? - Denton
Kitto -
Malouf? - Aspland-Robinson
Brady? -
Pakalani? -
Catchpole? -

Does that look about right? Quite a lot of departures/potential departures there. Will leave is a bit thin on the ground unless there are further signings announced.
Thankfully most of those that you've listed and haven't been replaced are those who have hardly, if at all, featured this season.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

No one on that list I’m overly bothered about leaving. Would be nice to give Pakalani another year contract as thought he looked like a decent prospect.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

With regard to centres, we only have 3 front line centres 2 of which seem injury prone, just watching Rob Thompson playing for Aaron Maugers highlanders..
Heck of a player and I’m not aware he is on the All Blacks radar. I wonder if he fancies a stint in the northern hemisphere
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

As regards to centres I hope Owen gets over his injury worries,i really want to see an unextended run of a midfield of Toomua,Owen,Tuilagi which imo could be by far our best trio. Play Holmes and give him a free roam to track runners and with May and Veainu running from deep and it's a very potent back line.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 am As regards to centres I hope Owen gets over his injury worries,i really want to see an unextended run of a midfield of Toomua,Owen,Tuilagi which imo could be by far our best trio. Play Holmes and give him a free roam to track runners and with May and Veainu running from deep and it's a very potent back line.
+ :smt023
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:46 am With regard to centres, we only have 3 front line centres 2 of which seem injury prone, just watching Rob Thompson playing for Aaron Maugers highlanders..
Heck of a player and I’m not aware he is on the All Blacks radar. I wonder if he fancies a stint in the northern hemisphere
I’d imagine that Mauger didn’t give a great impression of us to his players at Highlanders
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 am As regards to centres I hope Owen gets over his injury worries,i really want to see an unextended run of a midfield of Toomua,Owen,Tuilagi which imo could be by far our best trio. Play Holmes and give him a free roam to track runners and with May and Veainu running from deep and it's a very potent back line.
As we can only field 2 centres at any one time, are you suggesting Toomua at 10, or Owen on the bench?
I’m not being pedantic: just trying to decide if I agree with you or not
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Alcohol induced reply?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

We have 3 quality centres, would be nice to see to see them all fit at the same time.

Also think they should consider keeping with Worth as a centre option looked good against The Saints other than his brain fart at the end
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

George McGuigan confirmed as joining Falcons in the least surprising departure of the season http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43849746

Bit of a shame as I think he had a lot of potential and is a very good thrower. Hardly the end of the world though.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

McGuigan is a good young hooker, but never hit the heights which were expected of him. Nowhere in the league of the likes of Tommy Taylor, Cowan-Dickie and Singleton coming through which are the bench mark for that age group in the position.
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 am McGuigan is a good young hooker, but never hit the heights which were expected of him. Nowhere in the league of the likes of Tommy Taylor, Cowan-Dickie and Singleton coming through which are the bench mark for that age group in the position.
Your probably right thats he isn’t that level, but even if he was I can’t imagine any young hooker can come through and reach that potential at tigers. All the players mentioned have been given the vast majority of there games as starting hooker when fit. That won’t happen at tigers whilst Youngs is here and now Tataufa who also isn’t getting the number 2 shirt over Youngs. Until tigers change there mentality of name over performance tigers want develop those kind of players.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Stephen18 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:57 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 am McGuigan is a good young hooker, but never hit the heights which were expected of him. Nowhere in the league of the likes of Tommy Taylor, Cowan-Dickie and Singleton coming through which are the bench mark for that age group in the position.
Your probably right thats he isn’t that level, but even if he was I can’t imagine any young hooker can come through and reach that potential at tigers. All the players mentioned have been given the vast majority of there games as starting hooker when fit. That won’t happen at tigers whilst Youngs is here and now Tataufa who also isn’t getting the number 2 shirt over Youngs. Until tigers change there mentality of name over performance tigers want develop those kind of players.
I'd argue that Youngs and Polota-Nau are both in the team on the merit of their performances, and both better players than Mcguigan. If a youngster comes through and is better than the players ahead of him, I'm sure he will be allowed to break into the first team.

I doubt many head coaches have ever thought "Player A is the best we have in that position, but I'm going to pick Player B because of his name - who cares whether we win or not!".
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Polata-Nau and Youngs are both loads better than Thacker and McGuigan, hence we let the latter two go. Correct decision in my book.

Kerr I think will provide able back up, always been impressed by him and has an eye for the try line.