Paddy Jackson

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Paddy Jackson

Post by Smudge »

Surely if he was found not guilty he is innocent and should not suffer any further penalties because of innuendo?
He was not on trial for his morals. If rugby players were only employed if they were morally pure, there would be huge gaps in teams all over the country. I have recollections of a tour to Kenya in the 60s you wouldn't believe.
That athletic, fit young rugby players are laddish is hardly a surprise.
What is far worse as far as I am concerned is that Saffacens were prepared to sign the odious Callum Clark, who's
sins were there for all to see and for which I and many others think he should have been banned for life.
Yet there he is, forgiven and playing in the premiership.
Whatever the situation with Jackson's future employment, you can be sure the experience he has just endured will have been very chastening and if he is as good as people say, someone will get a gem for very little money.
A life long Tiger
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:24 am
h's dad wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:14 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:07 pm Granted, the Irish courts have deemed him and his mates not guilty. A decision which many legal commentators in England and Wales didn’t agree with but nonetheless were found not guilty.
I must have missed these legal commentators in England and Wales. Could you give links to a couple of the higher profile ones, please as I would be interested in their legal argument for such a position?
Would love to post these but you have to pay to use these systems privately. How the legal sector makes all its money, nothing is free :smt002

Lexisnexis and Westland and both have made remarks to the recent judgement.
Don't know Westland. I would be very surprised if Lexisnexis made a statement saying they didn't agree with the verdict as you claim. As I'm sure you are aware, there would be no problem with a short attributed quote.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

I can’t imagine it is even remotely possible, but my direct debit for 3 season tickets would be cancelled in an instant if it happened. His behaviour was loathsome.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Smudge wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:24 pm Surely if he was found not guilty he is innocent and should not suffer any further penalties because of innuendo?
He was not on trial for his morals. If rugby players were only employed if they were morally pure, there would be huge gaps in teams all over the country. I have recollections of a tour to Kenya in the 60s you wouldn't believe.
That athletic, fit young rugby players are laddish is hardly a surprise.
What is far worse as far as I am concerned is that Saffacens were prepared to sign the odious Callum Clark, who's
sins were there for all to see and for which I and many others think he should have been banned for life.
Yet there he is, forgiven and playing in the premiership.
Whatever the situation with Jackson's future employment, you can be sure the experience he has just endured will have been very chastening and if he is as good as people say, someone will get a gem for very little money.
Sorry, do you really think “laddish” is an appropriate term for his behaviour? Really?
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Sorry, .You are judging him when proper judges and a jury found him Not Guilty. That is how justice works.
I am also sorry if "laddish" offends you but you have clearly not been on any rugby tours. The motto for which is usually, "what happens on tour, stays on tour".
A life long Tiger
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Smudge wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:41 pm Sorry, .You are judging him when proper judges and a jury found him Not Guilty. That is how justice works.
I am also sorry if "laddish" offends you but you have clearly not been on any rugby tours. The motto for which is usually, "what happens on tour, stays on tour".
But that motto is not a free pass. You're quite right, the court found him not guilty; however, you could just as easily argue that this means the prosecution may not have done a good enough job of trying to convince the jury of his guilt. What isn't in doubt is his questionable attitude towards women and that he got himself into what could be called, at the very minimum and horribly euphemistically, a compromising situation.

I'm not sure the word 'laddish' was the offending object of your post, but the general implication that misogyny and using sex to make somebody feel, at the very least, distressed is just hijinks.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The rape charge is sorted. Twelve citizens found him innocent so - he is. End of debate.

As to his morals - seriously questionable. Although I once played the Pope in a school play ("convincingly" according to the Loughborough Echo), I do not claim to be "morally pure". I've been on tours, I've shared flats with other 'lads' and I've often thought the Ten Commandments should be more of a guideline.

However, I can honestly say I've never behaved like these guys did; sent messages to each other like these guys did; even thought like these guys did. Neither, I'll warrant, have any of my co-conspirators down the years.

Paddy Jackson in the Red, White and Green?

No.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Smudge wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:41 pm Sorry, .You are judging him when proper judges and a jury found him Not Guilty. That is how justice works.
No, I am judging him for the reprehensible conduct which he has accepted took place - not the criminal charge.

I am not sure what leads you to presume I’ve not been on any rugby tours...you are incorrect as it happens (rugby and hockey). Yes, people do often behave in boorish fashion on tour....especially so in my day (late 70’s). However, as others have pointed out, your motto is not a free pass. It’s also one that should be dumped.

Even in the unreconstructed sexist days when I was touring, I am pretty sure behaviour such as Jackson’s would have been considered beyond the pale by the vast majority of people. Testosterone and alcohol is generally a risky cocktail - but most people’s moral compass allows them to stay the right side of the line.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

"If rugby players were only employed if they were morally pure, there would be huge gaps in teams all over the country"

there is no more to say. The rest is PC b0ll0cks.
A life long Tiger
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

You can’t apply to that to most things anymore, it’s why places are reluctant to take in teams because of what can go on and it also why my “tour” this is to the Premiership Final where I will be supporting Exeter if they make it as their a family club with traditional values and got a good financial structure without the need for sugar daddies.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Even though he is not guilty, he’s too controversial a player and as a self-promoted family club we will be contradicting ourselves if we sign Jackson
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Supporting Exeter? Wash your mouth out ;)
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I understand he could be playing for Clermont Auvergne next season in the Top14.
Semper in excretia
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:30 pm
You can’t apply to that to most things anymore, it’s why places are reluctant to take in teams because of what can go on and it also why my “tour” this is to the Premiership Final where I will be supporting Exeter if they make it as their a family club with traditional values and got a good financial structure without the need for sugar daddies.
Do you want to try that in English?

You do realise Exeter are rumoured to be interested in signing Jackson don't you?

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/jackson- ... nd-france/

https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-rumours ... rt-olding/
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Thought it was Olding to Exeter? They interested in both?