George Fords place kicking

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by Old Hob »

It was also said that Geordie Murphy left water bottles in his way for one of the kicks. Something commented on by Mr Barnes the next time Smurf was on.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:27 pm All modern kickers have blind-spots, Ford's seems to be centre left field to centre right field, whereas further out he seems more accurate. Some other players have similar issues. In the old toe-poke days, the % were very much the other way round. My aged opinion is that the longer a player fusses, the more susceptible he is to error - some of the best kickers have/had simple and quick procedures - Paterson the most obvious example.
Back in the day as a 15/kicker, I was used to the (very Welsh) coach shouting "Get on with it - my good players are getting cold!"

I knew my place.
It was interesting yesterday I think it was the conversion of Harrison’s try, Wayne was giving Ford a count down and he deliberately took every last second
I hate that. Long overdue to clamp down on half the support staff rushing on for every kick and the kicker taking an eternity to boot the ball. That and the faffing about at the scrum are ruining the game :smt018
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Perhaps Wayne thought George might be running the clock down as we had a man in the bin? George used the time available. (which iirc has been reduced from 2 minutes to 90 seconds or some such). Nothing to see, move on.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

G.K wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:24 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm
Back in the day as a 15/kicker, I was used to the (very Welsh) coach shouting "Get on with it - my good players are getting cold!"

I knew my place.
It was interesting yesterday I think it was the conversion of Harrison’s try, Wayne was giving Ford a count down and he deliberately took every last second
I hate that. Long overdue to clamp down on half the support staff rushing on for every kick and the kicker taking an eternity to boot the ball. That and the faffing about at the scrum are ruining the game :smt018
You have 90 seconds to take the kick. I don't see anything wrong in taking the full 90 seconds to take it.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:46 pm You have 90 seconds to take the kick. I don't see anything wrong in taking the full 90 seconds to take it.
I thought it was 60 seconds for a penalty, timed from when indicating to the ref you're going for goal, and 90 seconds for a conversion, timed from when the try was awarded.

The justification for longer for a conversion is if it was an end to end try by a winger it might take the kicker a few seconds to get there without going all out and then being short of breath for the actual kick.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:41 am
ellis9 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:46 pm You have 90 seconds to take the kick. I don't see anything wrong in taking the full 90 seconds to take it.
I thought it was 60 seconds for a penalty, timed from when indicating to the ref you're going for goal, and 90 seconds for a conversion, timed from when the try was awarded.

The justification for longer for a conversion is if it was an end to end try by a winger it might take the kicker a few seconds to get there without going all out and then being short of breath for the actual kick.
Correct but it was a conversion where Barnes told Ford he had 15 seconds left.

90 seconds for a conversion from when try is awarded and 60 seconds for a penalty kick.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

As has been mentioned, Ford's kicking for us has - this season - been largely very, very good. He is having a slight dip at the moment which is normal but most of the time he has been very reliable in an area which I admit I was concerned about.

I think the lack of distance theory is also a myth - I reckon he has a very similar range to Farrell actually. See the England tour to Argentina when he hammered some serious monsters over from about halfway and at an angle.

The problem spot for Ford appears to be between the 5 and the 15 - the sort of ones he should probably get but aren't quite as straightforward as they look.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

iceman_19 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:36 am I think the lack of distance theory is also a myth - I reckon he has a very similar range to Farrell actually. See the England tour to Argentina when he hammered some serious monsters over from about halfway and at an angle.

wasn't the first game in Arg high up in the mountains? Altitude generally means kickers can go longer.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

The 'BT Sports' lot said his kicking percentage was 81% which is around average apparently?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

81% is not average it is good. Toby Floods percentage was in the lower 70's and Cipriani is not an 80% kicker. We could do with a second kicker in the team preferably one with a long range but they are few and far between. All kickers have bad days, Dusty Hare, John Liley and Andy Goode all missed kicks on occasion.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Fords kicking is good------------he just a day off .No probs, move on.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Didn't Priestland miss his first kick.
Not ideal for Ford really, thrown back into it after several weeks with England and Farrell taking the kicks.
I thought Leicester might've taken three points on occasions, but it seemed they wanted to keep pressing Bath and in the end it paid off.
Credit where it's due everything they did worked!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am The commentator yesterday said Ford is 81% this season which is on par to others.
81% is ok but he doesn’t take a lot of kicks that other 10’s would or his stats would be worse
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

L Smith wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:57 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am The commentator yesterday said Ford is 81% this season which is on par to others.
81% is ok but he doesn’t take a lot of kicks that other 10’s would or his stats would be worse
Surely it's better to recognise your limitations than to attempt something in which you have no confidence. Imagine the amount of criticism George would attract if he did attempt those kicks and his stats were indeed worse.

Some posters appear to have short memories. The win against Wasps depended on George kicking the points available in the 2nd half generated by the physical dominance of our pack. 3 opportunities and 3 successes - that's 100% at a time when it was needed.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

What I don't get is why Elliot Daly doesn't kick everything. Surely if he is accurate from 50 metres he can be accurate from 30-40m.

Ford's kicking is not an issue IMO. There may be one or two clearly better but that is all. And the rest of his game makes up for it.