Belgium v Spain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Belgium v Spain

Post by trendylfj »

I have to say that I rarely criticise any ref but the ref in this match was so poor it was almost unbelievable. He, as a Romanian should never have been in charge of this match as the result would affect his own country's qualification for the RWC in Japan. That is the organiser's responsibility and they failed miserably. He was clearly out of his depth and would have even been out of place reffing a Kibworth match (Market Harborough). It does not excuse the reaction of the Spanish team at the end of the game and I suspect they will be severely punished for the behaviour of their players and they deserve to be so punished however understandable their frustrations were.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/world-ru ... -escalates
Hehehehehehehehe
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Belgium v Spain

Post by ourla »

Didn't see the game. I understand refs were allocated randomly some time ago but it would have seemed prudent to have replaced him a referee from another nation in the circumstances. Doesn't excuse that he was so poor, assuming he was.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Not just the referee was Romanian, but both TJ were too.

So in the same weekend that a TJ for the 6N was swapped out because he, within the allowed framework, attended an England training session to assist and provide guidance all 3 officiants were from the nation who were massively affected by the outcome of the game.

Belgium were awarded 28 penalties. Let that sink in. That's 75% more than England conceeded vs France.

Belgium's win, Romania's automatic WC qualification, any future games refereed by the 3 officiants and Spain's reputation are all tainted because of the situation even if it turns out it was refereed to perfect standards. European Rugby should never have allowed themselves to be in this position.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Crazy situation. A bit like the Rugby League World Cup Final in Australia between Australia and England being refereed by an Australian.

I feel sorry for the referees who are put in these situations.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Having seen the highlights, the ref gave the appearance of being even more one eyed than Steve Lander, I hope it was pure incompetence not bias, the result should not stand and the IRB should investigate the appointment of the officials, at the same time sanctioning the whole Spanish squad.
This episode leaves a very sour taste and damages the good name of Rugby.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

BengalTiger wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 pm Having seen the highlights, the ref gave the appearance of being even more one eyed than Steve Lander, I hope it was pure incompetence not bias, the result should not stand and the IRB should investigate the appointment of the officials, at the same time sanctioning the whole Spanish squad.
This episode leaves a very sour taste and damages the good name of Rugby.
Some of them are unbelievable frankly. And then you see the Belgians doing similar and not being penalised. It stinks.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

According to the Mail, World Rugby have now taken this matter over and ordered the match to be replayed. An investigation has been ordered in to how this situation arose in the first place and will also include an investigation in to Belgium and Rumania playing ineligible players. Common sense has prevailed albeit a bit late!
Give blood, play rugby!!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

wardy wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 pm According to the Mail, World Rugby have now taken this matter over and ordered the match to be replayed. An investigation has been ordered in to how this situation arose in the first place and will also include an investigation in to Belgium and Rumania playing ineligible players. Common sense has prevailed albeit a bit late!
Your problem there is “according to the mail”. That comic isn’t worth trusting for factual reporting at any time on any topic.

https://www.worldrugby.org/news/324233

A replay was their first reaction, but given the evidence of player registration irregularities they want a broader inquiry first.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The main issues to explain are why when the refs appointment was pointed out to European Rugby as being clearly not a neutral appointment it was not changed.
So who made the appointment, who refused to change it
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

BengalTiger wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:01 pm The main issues to explain are why when the refs appointment was pointed out to European Rugby as being clearly not a neutral appointment it was not changed.
The head of European Rugby if also Romanian... and no I'm not making that up
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

biffer wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:58 pm
wardy wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:40 pm According to the Mail, World Rugby have now taken this matter over and ordered the match to be replayed. An investigation has been ordered in to how this situation arose in the first place and will also include an investigation in to Belgium and Rumania playing ineligible players. Common sense has prevailed albeit a bit late!
Your problem there is “according to the mail”. That comic isn’t worth trusting for factual reporting at any time on any topic.

https://www.worldrugby.org/news/324233

A replay was their first reaction, but given the evidence of player registration irregularities they want a broader inquiry first.
Actually over the years the Daily Mail has been very accurate with their coverage of rugby matters and have had an inside scoop in a number of cases.

As for other topics ......
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:03 am
BengalTiger wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:01 pm The main issues to explain are why when the refs appointment was pointed out to European Rugby as being clearly not a neutral appointment it was not changed.
The head of European Rugby if also Romanian... and no I'm not making that up
Hi I knew that, but the head would not normaly make these apointment, or maybe he did, whatever happened I am sure none of us will ever find out the truth, Rugby beurocracy has an infinite capacity for protecting itself!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Wouldn't want to play Russia because they would always have the Putin :smt005

I'll get my coat!
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Yeah you Moscow!