George Fords place kicking

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rayce
Tiger Cub
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:47 pm

George Fords place kicking

Post by Rayce » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:23 pm

I'm not knocking him as i think he's done us proud,but i think he would benefit by doing a Freddie Burns and getting himself a kicking coach(Paul Grayson did a great job for Freddie).It would be nice if the club payed the fee.

G.K
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5679
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:19 am
Location: See SatNav

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by G.K » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:02 am

Rayce wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:23 pm
I'm not knocking him as i think he's done us proud,but i think he would benefit by doing a Freddie Burns and getting himself a kicking coach(Paul Grayson did a great job for Freddie).It would be nice if the club payed the fee.
Simply not good enough for me and hasn't been for a long time. We need another kicker in the team or go for the corner or even tap and go as it's costing Tigers too many points and may be the clicher in some games.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by ellis9 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am

The commentator yesterday said Ford is 81% this season which is on par to others.

Soggypitch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1969
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:18 pm
Location: Market Harborough

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by Soggypitch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:04 am

ellis9 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am
The commentator yesterday said Ford is 81% this season which is on par to others.
For once I agree with ellis, George had a poor day yesterday but has been good all season, over 80% is more than acceptable.

He also has the character to not let one bad day worry him, something he has in common with his old mucker and Ellis's favourite player OF. :smt002
Soggypitch

Rayce
Tiger Cub
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by Rayce » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:28 am

ellis9 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am
The commentator yesterday said Ford is 81% this season which is on par to others.
Yes i heard that as well,but he was kicking better early season than he has been of late.

longlivethecrumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by longlivethecrumbie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 am

Rayce wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:28 am
ellis9 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am
The commentator yesterday said Ford is 81% this season which is on par to others.
Yes i heard that as well,but he was kicking better early season than he has been of late.
He went through patches the first time he was with us and he seems to be a confidence player/kicker. He'll come right.

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2245
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by Mark62 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:59 am

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 am
Rayce wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:28 am
ellis9 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:26 am
The commentator yesterday said Ford is 81% this season which is on par to others.
Yes i heard that as well,but he was kicking better early season than he has been of late.
He went through patches the first time he was with us and he seems to be a confidence player/kicker. He'll come right.
Fairly sure he nailed his 2 hardest conversions

longlivethecrumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by longlivethecrumbie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:02 am

Mark62 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:59 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 am
Rayce wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:28 am


Yes i heard that as well,but he was kicking better early season than he has been of late.
He went through patches the first time he was with us and he seems to be a confidence player/kicker. He'll come right.
Fairly sure he nailed his 2 hardest conversions
Yup, but missed easier ones. Maybe it's a lack of focus on the 'easier' kicks, who knows.....but he does seem to kick better when he's confident and the rest of his game is going well.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3196
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by sam16111986 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:34 am

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:02 am
Mark62 wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:59 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:56 am


He went through patches the first time he was with us and he seems to be a confidence player/kicker. He'll come right.
Fairly sure he nailed his 2 hardest conversions
Yup, but missed easier ones. Maybe it's a lack of focus on the 'easier' kicks, who knows.....but he does seem to kick better when he's confident and the rest of his game is going well.
I think he took a knock before one of them. Was quite slow to get there and take it. Both players missed their first which probably suggests that there was a slight breeze to adjust for. The one off the post was bad luck.

Ford won't be happy with that display and will work on it. I was concerned by his kicking before he rejoined but he's been excellent off the tee this season. If he's still struggling next time out we can always turn to Toomua.

Baz
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:27 am

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by Baz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:40 am

Everyone goes through patches. True, he lacks the range of some 10's, but he's generally pretty good, and his stats stand comparison with most. Joe is also a very good place-kicker.

Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by Rugbyflanker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:15 am

Correction. Joe is "only" a very good place kicker ;)

mol2
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3098
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm
Location: Cosby

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by mol2 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:12 pm

His radar is certainly off at present.

His range is certainly shorter than many in the Premiership so given that he turns down the longer kicks, his accuracy stats should be higher than kickers who take on the longer kicks which will impact their figures.

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6639
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by jgriffin » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:27 pm

All modern kickers have blind-spots, Ford's seems to be centre left field to centre right field, whereas further out he seems more accurate. Some other players have similar issues. In the old toe-poke days, the % were very much the other way round. My aged opinion is that the longer a player fusses, the more susceptible he is to error - some of the best kickers have/had simple and quick procedures - Paterson the most obvious example.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

strawclearer
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3573
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by strawclearer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:27 pm
All modern kickers have blind-spots, Ford's seems to be centre left field to centre right field, whereas further out he seems more accurate. Some other players have similar issues. In the old toe-poke days, the % were very much the other way round. My aged opinion is that the longer a player fusses, the more susceptible he is to error - some of the best kickers have/had simple and quick procedures - Paterson the most obvious example.
Back in the day as a 15/kicker, I was used to the (very Welsh) coach shouting "Get on with it - my good players are getting cold!"

I knew my place.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Help save the Oceans - #RefuseTheStraw!

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2245
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: George Fords place kicking

Post by Mark62 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm

strawclearer wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm
jgriffin wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:27 pm
All modern kickers have blind-spots, Ford's seems to be centre left field to centre right field, whereas further out he seems more accurate. Some other players have similar issues. In the old toe-poke days, the % were very much the other way round. My aged opinion is that the longer a player fusses, the more susceptible he is to error - some of the best kickers have/had simple and quick procedures - Paterson the most obvious example.
Back in the day as a 15/kicker, I was used to the (very Welsh) coach shouting "Get on with it - my good players are getting cold!"

I knew my place.
It was interesting yesterday I think it was the conversion of Harrison’s try, Wayne was giving Ford a count down and he deliberately took every last second

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Redstripeman and 2 guests