Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS ARE THE U18 PREM CHAMPIONS 2018

Post by ellis9 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:34 am
ellis9 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:20 am Simmonds and White won't be 1st XV players though. They may well be in the squad but the poster said 1st XV. The fact they are both scrum halves is the first issue as only one can be in the first XV but they also have to take Ben Youngs place, which rightly wont happen.

Also, none of the others you mentioned will be in the first XV. All of them in the squad perhaps, but selected in the first XV or even the matchday 23 won't happen.
I didn't say XV i said it would be a good target for the senior squad.
I know you didn't.

The original poster however, wrote it as if he thinks they should be put into the first XV. He has now explained he means in and around the first XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

George Martin needs to be given time but Lavin and Jordan need to be given game time next year.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would like to see Jordan, Lavin, Yarnell and Yager given a shot in the 1st Preseason game which does tend to be mainly developmental.

Talking of preseason, have we got Benetton and Ospreys again?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Lavin still has another year in the U18 as does Yarnell i think.

Jordan will be too old though for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayiGv-dJUk

Steward looks a big guy at full back, reminds a bit of Kinghorn.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:46 pm Lavin still has another year in the U18 as does Yarnell i think.

I have a family friend who is good mates with Lavin and I’m sure he’s going to be 18 sometime this curriculum year if not already so wouldn’t that mean this would be his final year
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:32 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:46 pm Lavin still has another year in the U18 as does Yarnell i think.

I have a family friend who is good mates with Lavin and I’m sure he’s going to be 18 sometime this curriculum year if not already so wouldn’t that mean this would be his final year
Don't know if it is until the end of the curriculum year or till the end of the comp (march)

Looking into it umaga was playing for the Wasps U18 last year despite having a July birthday so i think it might be if your U18 till end of the comp. (Again could be wrong).
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I went to Allianz Park to see the under eighteens play and was very impressed by the Tigers youngsters and also those in the Harlequins, Sale and Gloucester squads, unfortunately I did not see the first game between Saracens and Wasps. It is unlikely (but not impossible) that anyone on show will be anywhere near the Premiership in the next twelve months, young players mature both physically and in skill at different rates, I mentally noted the names of four possibly five players that I expect to hear more of in the years to come but they have to stay fit and have the right attitude as they work very hard for possibly four years before they get a first team opportunity and the chance to prove that they can compete with the international player ahead of them in their position whilst hoping that no even more talented youngster is coming up behind them.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

But as in the true Tigers tradition most of these excellent youngsters will probably have to ply their trade elsewhere. :smt010
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Noddy555 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:42 pm But as in the true Tigers tradition most of these excellent youngsters will probably have to ply their trade elsewhere. :smt010
Maybe but like those others that ply their trade elsewhere, it'll be because they aren't good enough.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

So Leicester have never made a mistake letting someone go?! You need to open the other eye sometimes ;)
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It stands to reason that if you are forced by a system to make decisions on players at under 18 when everyone knows that boys don't mature into men until much later then mistakes will be made.
I watched the highlights and think most of those tries scored don't get scored at A League standard let alone above!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Some of those lads will not see rugby as their future career and after A levels will be heading for University, others will be assessed and decisions made on their potential. It is possible that mistakes will be made and we will discard a gem, I don't know of one we released in the pas that has become a top Premiership player but there may well be one or two. There are certainly ones that we have retained that have failed to reach the level we hoped they would. It is simply impossible to keep everyone up to the age of twenty-one which is still early to be certain, a weeding out is inevitable but the changes made to our transition system in the recent past may make the process as accurate as it can be.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 am
Noddy555 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:42 pm But as in the true Tigers tradition most of these excellent youngsters will probably have to ply their trade elsewhere. :smt010
Maybe but like those others that ply their trade elsewhere, it'll be because they aren't good enough.
The only way you can actually believe that is to ignore the likes of Hamish Watson, Alex Lewington, Calum Green and others whose careers have come on hugely since being 'not good enough' for Tigers.

Good enough for teams who are (currently) better than Tigers, but not good enough for Tigers....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

4071 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:14 pm
ellis9 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 am
The only way you can actually believe that is to ignore the likes of Hamish Watson, Alex Lewington, Calum Green and others whose careers have come on hugely since being 'not good enough' for Tigers.

Good enough for teams who are (currently) better than Tigers, but not good enough for Tigers....
Picking Watson is pretty selective he left to play for scotland Sevens.
Nothing about not being good enough he just chooses Scotland over Tigers at a early age.

And since when are Irish better than Tigers? He is moving to Saracens but isn’t a starter for them yet.