Wuss vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Wuss vs Tigers

Post by jgriffin »

Up to half-time the game could've gone either way, which is why I'm not getting feverishly excited. A Wuss fan near me said 'wait until the second half, we'll lose the plot' and he was spot on.
We went back to an oldskool Tigers game which suited the conditions - the dropped balls in the first half became very few as conditions dried in the second - and our focus of attack was very narrow, our line was short. defence was trying to keep Wuss from going wide and targeting Manu (between 12/13 and 13/14) in particular, who was a revolving door early on. Thommo was pulled in to cover which exposed us occasionally. We were very good coming round the corner and staying tight, and the war of attrition did for Wuss in the end. Once Wuss could not swing the ball out, they were done for. Set piece was 50/50 but our maul defence was much better save for their try when our defence targeted the wrong side of the maul.
To'omua was tactically very astute, constantly aiming to pen Wuss in their half and make them play out. Shazam had an excellent game, seeming to grow into the sniping role he never seemed to have, and made a couple of excellent breaks. (My son remarked on how good the 9 was, good service and making things happen). Bateman was Bateman, even playing competent 9 at one point.
Round about 20 or so to go, Manu started pick and go as well as tight receiver, and this had a big impact on the game.
We were good for the bonus point - the final try was just pure luck!
As I have posted elsewhere, glad we are not in either Europe or AWC, we might just stand a chance of Top 4, and certainly Top 6.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Holmes and Williams both suffered hamstring strains and should be fit for Wasps. O'Connor took a bang to the ribs but should be ok for Wasps too.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Didn't see last two as down under and no TV.. seems Mark Bakewell is a magician who has identified the problems and hopefully put us back on track. With Ford May Genge Cole to return and all the top 3 looking inconsistent who is not to say that Tigers could confound the Rugby World....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:32 pm I havent heard from him, I hope Rolly has not been taken ill!!
Let's hope he's out for the season. Because if so we'll be Prem champions.

Seriously though, for a guy who claims he's really a big fan of Tigers and really wants us to do well his contributions in the last couple of weeks have been very thin on the ground.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Just like last week the difference was getting over the gain line. It's amazing how the outlook for a season can change with a couple of good results.

Spenser and Denton weren't very impressive.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Spicer wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 pm Spenser and Denton weren't very impressive.
It's just one game. Let's face it a few of ours have put in some unimpressive performances this season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:36 pm
Rugbyflanker wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:32 pm Is BOC England's answer at 7?
Don't think so, but then again, who will Eddie want at 7 come the World Cup? A Curry, Underhill, Simmonds, that Willis boy from Wasps? Why not BOC?
Don’t forget Will Evans, he has been in an EPS
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Roly might be ill or on holiday or something, because even though we are cruising at the moment I thought he would be criticising the poor handling in the 1st half and the maul defence on Worcester’s only try.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Also surprisingly I thought Ellis9 would be all over the place but he’s nowhere to be seen
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

ourla wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:53 pm
Spicer wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 pm Spenser and Denton weren't very impressive.
It's just one game. Let's face it a few of ours have put in some unimpressive performances this season.

May be they were played out of the game.
Tigers showed a better line defense and were quicker to defend on the wings. Bakewell in put me thinks.
Overall this season they have played well.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 am I think Roly might be ill or on holiday or something, because even though we are cruising at the moment I thought he would be criticising the poor handling in the 1st half and the maul defence on Worcester’s only try.
His silence speaks volumes.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
tripeandonions
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by tripeandonions »

Williams injury looked more than a strain to me to judge by the pain he was clearly suffering.
Holmes you could see the muscle go into a short spasm, he should be ok after a bit of time off.
BOC looked like he was having a bit of breathing difficulties so cracked rib or sternum possible, hopefully just bad bruising.
Bateman was hobbling when he went off but hopefully he was just completely knackered
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:06 am
JP14 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 am I think Roly might be ill or on holiday or something, because even though we are cruising at the moment I thought he would be criticising the poor handling in the 1st half and the maul defence on Worcester’s only try.
His silence speaks volumes.
I'm sure he will be back. Probably after we've been beaten 31-30 in the final by Exeter after being reduced to 13men and having a perfectly good try disallowed whilst Exeter were given two very controversial tries! He will appear telling us all how poor we've been all year and how Saracens would definitely would have grinded out a win even under those circumstances and blaming the ref is just being a bad loser. :smt002
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

As the match wasn't on TV I didn't get to see it. I am interested in if Manu is starting to look like anywhere near the old Manu or if he was in the right place at the right time for his try?
Also, where has the big change been in the performance?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:14 am As the match wasn't on TV I didn't get to see it. I am interested in if Manu is starting to look like anywhere near the old Manu or if he was in the right place at the right time for his try?
Also, where has the big change been in the performance?
Manu was blowing a a lot in the first half and wasn't very good. Second half he started coming in close on picks and short passes and was very effective, which was how he scored. The big change is defined tactics, patience and retention, executed well, with a limited repertoire in the backs (our only killer finisher with England?). Holmes and Malouf looked good value. TV is a god. :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.