New Forwards Coach - Mark Bakewell

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KevinR

Re: New Forwards Coach - Mark Bakewell

Post by KevinR »

He means a succession of errors - especially conceding free kicks and penalties - which allow the opposition easy incremental progress up the pitch into a scoring position. MB identified poor handling and some scrum issues and Ugo Monye, on commentary, criticised our lack of patience. One minute you're on the opposition line and a few minutes later you're in danger of conceding. It's been a regular Tigers failing this season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

KevinR wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:33 am He means a succession of errors - especially conceding free kicks and penalties - which allow the opposition easy incremental progress up the pitch into a scoring position. MB identified poor handling and some scrum issues and Ugo Monye, on commentary, criticised our lack of patience. One minute you're on the opposition line and a few minutes later you're in danger of conceding. It's been a regular Tigers failing this season.
Methinks Tigers needs to do some mental patience exercises in preseason
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Encouraging interview
I'm not cynical just experienced
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 pm Plenty of players and coaches have given him rave reviews such as Borthwick, Flatman and Crane. So why don’t we let him get on with his job and give him time to fix things. Seems so many people have already made their mind up on Bakewell without knowing anything about him and almost seemingly wanting him to fail.
I don't see anyone on here wanting Bakewell to fail, nor MOC. I certainly don't. There is a scepticism about MOC based on various aspects of his career.
None of us want Tigers to fail. I was in despair how poor we were in the first half yesterday, and actually said at half-time I had seen nothing to enthuse me, we were very poor (as Bakewell identified). Nothing much changed until To'omua started his one-man charge, and Hamilton came on.
Two points I haven't mentioned elsewhere, Kitchener had an excellent game and I hope Manu improves quickly as right now he is a benchwarmer at best, his D was awful and he was usually caught flat or simply shipped ball. BTW rapid lateral shifts on a flat line with no gain was one of my chief gripes last time MOC was coach.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I really like the interview and liked even more what he said. He didn't strike me as someone who will not demand improvement from all the forwards and if they can't, will want the door shown to them. Good appointment.
Hehehehehehehehe
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:26 am Interview after the Quins game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWclGM_ ... e=youtu.be

Identifies the problems, now needs to fix them.
A refreshingly honest interview. The only thing that concerned me was when he was describing the lineout and his words were "the good thing is the intellectual property is there" :smt017 :smt005 That's a new one on me!
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I’m sorry, but talk is cheap. Yeah yeah, he’s saying all of the right things, including throwing a handful of “Look.........”s, as NZ/Aus coaches like to. It all sounds very good and positive, but ultimately, if he transforms a damp squib of a pack into a seething, driving, physical force to be reckoned, it will be the biggest miracle since tap water was turned into a Chardonnay.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm I’m sorry, but talk is cheap. Yeah yeah, he’s saying all of the right things, including throwing a handful of “Look.........”s, as NZ/Aus coaches like to. It all sounds very good and positive, but ultimately, if he transforms a damp squib of a pack into a seething, driving, physical force to be reckoned, it will be the biggest miracle since tap water was turned into a Chardonnay.
That's what I like to see, a bit of positive thinking.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm I’m sorry, but talk is cheap. Yeah yeah, he’s saying all of the right things, including throwing a handful of “Look.........”s, as NZ/Aus coaches like to. It all sounds very good and positive, but ultimately, if he transforms a damp squib of a pack into a seething, driving, physical force to be reckoned, it will be the biggest miracle since tap water was turned into a Chardonnay.
So what you are saying is he has got :censored: players to work with, so let's just dismiss him out of hand as nobody can make a difference. It may well be true, but said in a way that would make any doom monger proud.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

ourla wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:42 am
That's what I like to see, a bit of positive thinking.
I was actually going to post something positive, as David Flatman mentioned Bakewell on the Channel 5 highlights. He said that Bakewell was one of if not the best forwards coach in the game at the moment, and that with our new signings (Thompson, Denton and Spencer), he'd have a snarling, all-firing pack at Welford Road in pretty short order. That gives me a bit more confidence, but I stand by my comments that it would be a tall order to transform what we currently have. Apologies for having an opinion, I'll flower it up a bit next time, just for you.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:27 pm
So what you are saying is he has got :censored: players to work with, so let's just dismiss him out of hand as nobody can make a difference. It may well be true, but said in a way that would make any doom monger proud.
Again, sorry for not being more positive, I don't see any other way of putting it. But I do refer you to my response to ourla, following something that David Flatman said on the C5 highlights. Hopefully a bit more positive for you :smt038
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm I was actually going to post something positive,
Well I am glad I dragged the positivity out of you. Or rather Flatman's positivity :-)
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ourla wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:55 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm I was actually going to post something positive,
Well I am glad I dragged the positivity out of you. Or rather Flatman's positivity :-)
I really like Flats but sometimes I can’t take him serious especially when he suggests that John Kingston is a good coach
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

JP14 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:31 pm
I really like Flats but sometimes I can’t take him serious especially when he suggests that John Kingston is a good coach
He is - just not a good DoR. Maybe.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:31 pm
I did chuckle when Flatman suggested that, everyone is always good and no-one is bad, political correctness at it's best!
Flatman should know, being a Challenge Cup winner! :smt005
I think Bakewell could be a good addition, I'd really like to see some authority brought back up front in regards to game management and a top forwards coach can only be good in that regard, too many girlies calling the shots in my opinion!