Denton

Post by mightymouse »

Great news. We finally get a decent ball carrier in the back row
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Denton

Post by WhitecapTiger »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:09 pm Great news. We finally get a decent ball carrier in the back row
I agree, Let's hope he stays fit!

Others may not agree and may already have their heads in the oven....

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45041&p=685076#p685076
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I haven't seen enough of Denton in recent times to know how good a signing this is.
Strong player before he went to Bath as far as I recall but not played a full Premiership season, plus potential internationals.
A bit concerned about the talk of a smaller squad, all things considered.
Worcester beat Exeter without him last weekend.
WildGoose
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by WildGoose »

I'm totally underwhelmed, he's nowhere near good enough to drag us out from this torpor. The loose forwards are almost entirely desperately average and so far we've signed two Worcester players and a Wasps reject. No-one was expecting Kieran Read but there's so much mediocrity. And it cleared isn't helped by the culture that exists at the moment. Players get better at Exeter, get reinvigorated at Saracens - we just seem to make 7/10 players look like 5/10 players, and the 9s and 10s are a thing of the past.

The hope lies in a very good back-line and front-row, and the hope that the excellent crop of Under 20s start looking the part in 2-3 years. Although under the present regime, it's hard to see why they'd stick around - they're not going to get better and they're not going to win things. It's not even like they get much game time! Shambles all ends up.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

WildGoose wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:11 pm I'm totally underwhelmed, he's nowhere near good enough to drag us out from this torpor. The loose forwards are almost entirely desperately average and so far we've signed two Worcester players and a Wasps reject. No-one was expecting Kieran Read but there's so much mediocrity. And it cleared isn't helped by the culture that exists at the moment. Players get better at Exeter, get reinvigorated at Saracens - we just seem to make 7/10 players look like 5/10 players, and the 9s and 10s are a thing of the past.

The hope lies in a very good back-line and front-row, and the hope that the excellent crop of Under 20s start looking the part in 2-3 years. Although under the present regime, it's hard to see why they'd stick around - they're not going to get better and they're not going to win things. It's not even like they get much game time! Shambles all ends up.
:smt015 there is no pleasing some people. There’s hardly loads of quality 8s on the market nor are the likes of Hughes Faletau Vunipola etc likely to leave their respective clubs. Everyone moans but can’t suggest any realistic and viable other options.

I’ve not doubt Denton will prove that he is the much needed ball carrier we need. Surely signing an international quality 8 plus a proper forwards coach is going in the right direction.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

The hope is that the new forwards coach will be able to get performances out of the players which we think they are capable of. The game was ever and still is won up front. Deliver front foot ball to our backs is the challenge. I'm hoping a new face can inject some enthusiasm and belief. Its a results based industry and tenure should rightly be a reflection of the results.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

What a sign of the times....Wasps get Shields, we get an injured inconsistent player.
More important should of been bringing on Evans, Reffell etc.
I would personally take the short term hit if the reason was obvious, at present it all looks a clueless mess.
Why everyone seems obsessed with "Ball Carriers", there are more ways to skin a cat.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Denton was key to the last quarter of Scotland's performance against France. Now he is back fit he has had several good games for warriors and hopefully he will bring that form to WR next year and stay injury free. He is a good player when fit and better than any of our current 6/ 8s.
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

When you look at the quality (and prime) of the type of player and coach that Tigers can attract at the moment...it really does cause some soul-searching.

The top 4 really does seem to be a long way away right now, however you want to measure it.

Just as well that things can change quickly in sport, as otherwise it is difficult to envisage a home semi final for Tigers in the foreseeable future.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Teams fortunes can turn around in an instant, so no need for people to be too downbeat.

Also if you compare our squad with the likes of Gloucester and Exeter, man for man in my mind we have the better squad. Plus I’ve rated all the signings made so far for next season, so it’s just down to the players and coaches to put the hard work in.

I don’t get why some people are being so negative on Denton. Looked good against France and has won player of the month twice in a row for Worcester. International quality with experience in a position where we need his ball carrying.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:53 pm I haven't seen enough of Denton in recent times to know how good a signing this is.
Strong player before he went to Bath as far as I recall but not played a full Premiership season, plus potential internationals.
A bit concerned about the talk of a smaller squad, all things considered.
Worcester beat Exeter without him last weekend.
I understand that the squad needs to be reduced, as the lower tier of players in our team are asking for more money and Cap wont cover increases! This will probably mean more game time for our emerging players and some loans called in when needed.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Leicestertinytiger said
I don’t get why some people are being so negative on Denton.
Because there’s a campaign runnIng. People w v little brain are grinding axes. It’s so boring and so stupid. (And no I’m not a happy clapper).
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

This is a talented player I spotted many years ago as a junior. I'm delighted in the extreme that he has decided to join the Tigers and will kook forward to watching him next season. :smt026
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:34 pm Denton was key to the last quarter of Scotland's performance against France. Now he is back fit he has had several good games for warriors and hopefully he will bring that form to WR next year and stay injury free. He is a good player when fit and better than any of our current 6/ 8s.
+1
I prefer a fit Denton in the mix. Also as stated elsewhere a good competition for places.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

He should be ok for us in the Challenge Cup.. feel now our Board are well out of their depth in relation to our Competitors leaders.