Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Wasps breach salary cap

Post by ellis9 »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/news/p ... ent-wasps/

I'm surprised it was only £40,000 to be honest!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps breach salary cap

Post by JP14 »

Is this one of the most well-known No :censored Sherlock moments ever? :smt017
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

A breach of £40K can be called a misjudgement by an administration trying to spend up to the salary cap, it is a small percentage of the total and probably makes little difference to Wasps competitiveness. Let us celebrate that actually the cap is being audited and that the perpetrator of a breach is being publicised, we all have our opinion of the identity of past culprits let us hope that this is a sign that those two multi-millionaire backed clubs will not get away with future offences.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:40 pm A breach of £40K can be called a misjudgement by an administration trying to spend up to the salary cap, it is a small percentage of the total and probably makes little difference to Wasps competitiveness. Let us celebrate that actually the cap is being audited and that the perpetrator of a breach is being publicised, we all have our opinion of the identity of past culprits let us hope that this is a sign that those two multi-millionaire backed clubs will not get away with future offences.
Totally agree, they spent right up to the limit and someone came in to review and pointed out a couple of minor oversights that took them over the limit. Good on Premiership Rugby for the open and visible audit process.

Let's be honest, £40k isn't much over a single academy player being bumped into the senior squad, it's nothing to write home about.

Hopefully this will also mean that more clubs are working with the auditors/regulators to ensure they they don't have similar oversights come year end.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Glad to see, at last. infringements being raised and punished. Long live the KING.
Doesn't matter how slight the overspend - Rules there for a reason of fair play for all teams. :smt023
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree that 40k is not all that in the grand scheme of things (Manu's big toe.. if it's not bust already! ) and I am happy to accept that it is in the realm of "error" in what I am sure is a devil of a juggling act. However I am concerned that if the breach where to be bigger they still deal with the matter in the same way. In other words I do not see fining as a solution to a problem caused by wealthy clubs overspending. It has the same effect as fining wealthy footballers for misdemeanors .. ie ..none.

The best way to deal with serious breaches is a deduction of points and or to make the punishment fit the crime, deduction of wage cap the following year to the equivelent amount of the breach. So for example if you have a wage cap of £5 million and you breach by £500k then the following year you only have a cap of £4.5 million.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I don't think whether it was accidental or not should make the punishment any different.

If I drove my car at 40mph on a 30mph road, as I accidentally believed the limit was 40mph, my punishment would not be any less severe than if I deliberately chose to drive at 40mph.

Wasps and all clubs know the limit. If they don't have the controls in place to make sure errors don't happen, then that's their own fault.

Ignorance and naivety would get you nowhere in a Court of Law. Neither should it in this instance.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

And if you drive your car at 30.5 mph in a 30 mph zone you probably wouldn't get punished at all. £40,000 over a £6,500,000 cap is not a big deal.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 pm I don't think whether it was accidental or not should make the punishment any different.

If I drove my car at 40mph on a 30mph road, as I accidentally believed the limit was 40mph, my punishment would not be any less severe than if I deliberately chose to drive at 40mph.

Wasps and all clubs know the limit. If they don't have the controls in place to make sure errors don't happen, then that's their own fault.

Ignorance and naivety would get you nowhere in a Court of Law. Neither should it in this instance.
Yeah, but if you drove at 30.2 mph you wouldn't get a ticket.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

You would get a ticket in Staffordshire (but not in Leicestershire). And apparently you would on the new 'smart' motorways. But I think it is very small beer compared with the likelihood of the club being flogged to a pension fund when default on the bond issue looks likely.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

'Trickleovers' like this are not unusual. The wage bill will fluctuate depending on team and player performance. Clubs pay the penalty. They've just not been so clearly publicised before. They are doing it like this now because of the furore over the significant breaches and the dissatisfaction with how they were handled to:
a: 'Look, we are taking this seriously and doing something'
b: To try and take people's attention away from the serious breaches which have occurred, been identified and swept under the carpet.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Thank god it is too late for it to be my pension fund. Ellis for a minor speeding offence you go on a "Speed Awareness Course" the equivalent of the naughty step or a £20K fine. I can tell you that you learn how to tell whether the limit is 30 or 40.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:52 pm Thank god it is too late for it to be my pension fund. Ellis for a minor speeding offence you go on a "Speed Awareness Course" the equivalent of the naughty step or a £20K fine. I can tell you that you learn how to tell whether the limit is 30 or 40.
The scary thing for me is that he has a driving licence.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Roly wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:54 am [quote=johnthegriff post_id=684556 time=<a href="tel:1518202343">1518202343</a> user_id=7213]
Thank god it is too late for it to be my pension fund. Ellis for a minor speeding offence you go on a "Speed Awareness Course" the equivalent of the naughty step or a £20K fine. I can tell you that you learn how to tell whether the limit is 30 or 40.
[/quote]

Have you seen me drive then?

I have no idea how you know how good or bad I am at driving just by my posts on here!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:21 pm
Roly wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:54 am [quote=johnthegriff post_id=684556 time=<a href="tel:1518202343">1518202343</a> user_id=7213]
Have you seen me drive then?

I have no idea how you know how good or bad I am at driving just by my posts on here!
[/quote]

Well, if how you drive is anything like how you write, I'm amazed you aren't mandated to have someone walk in front of your car with a red flag.

Frankly, I'm still reeling from the accuracy of your pre-Christmas predictions.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.