Wasps vs Tigers - AWC Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Wasps vs Tigers - AWC Cup

Post by rdracup »

If our youngsters do well in the low value cup it is a bonus, but never in the history of Tigers has the idea of picking a strong team to chase it as a piece of silverware been part of anyone’s thinking .. until now. At least that seems to be the view of some on this board. Says so much about how things have changed. If it was an insurance policy to the top teir of Europe next year I might be of a different view but it isn’t. We have 9 premiership games left in the regular season. Every decision on who plays in any match, including AW Semi and Final (if we get there) should pass the “will this help us get to the highest possible place in the AP table” test. I will support to the hilt our youngsters in the battle to win the AW Cup, but the day we choose the AW Cup as a priority over the AP, will be not only season defining but will truly mark the end of an era for the club. However bad things are surely they are not this bad.
jamie1880

Post by jamie1880 »

rdracup wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:36 am If our youngsters do well in the low value cup it is a bonus, but never in the history of Tigers has the idea of picking a strong team to chase it as a piece of silverware been part of anyone’s thinking .. until now. At least that seems to be the view of some on this board. Says so much about how things have changed. If it was an insurance policy to the top teir of Europe next year I might be of a different view but it isn’t. We have 9 premiership games left in the regular season. Every decision on who plays in any match, including AW Semi and Final (if we get there) should pass the “will this help us get to the highest possible place in the AP table” test. I will support to the hilt our youngsters in the battle to win the AW Cup, but the day we choose the AW Cup as a priority over the AP, will be not only season defining but will truly mark the end of an era for the club. However bad things are surely they are not this bad.
I see the Wasps game as a dress rehearsal for the tough premiership run though. When we head to Kingsholm we're essentially going to have thrown 15 guys into the team, with little work on combinations and familiarity. How many minutes has Joe Ford played alongside Matt Toomua for instance?

And if we happen to make the semi final through this, then great. Our run would be very difficult even with our EPS boys. We really can't afford to lose more than 2/3 of the remaining prem games if we stand a chance for top 4....
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

jamie1880 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:49 pm
rdracup wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:36 am If our youngsters do well in the low value cup it is a bonus, but never in the history of Tigers has the idea of picking a strong team to chase it as a piece of silverware been part of anyone’s thinking .. until now. At least that seems to be the view of some on this board. Says so much about how things have changed. If it was an insurance policy to the top teir of Europe next year I might be of a different view but it isn’t. We have 9 premiership games left in the regular season. Every decision on who plays in any match, including AW Semi and Final (if we get there) should pass the “will this help us get to the highest possible place in the AP table” test. I will support to the hilt our youngsters in the battle to win the AW Cup, but the day we choose the AW Cup as a priority over the AP, will be not only season defining but will truly mark the end of an era for the club. However bad things are surely they are not this bad.
I see the Wasps game as a dress rehearsal for the tough premiership run though. When we head to Kingsholm we're essentially going to have thrown 15 guys into the team, with little work on combinations and familiarity. How many minutes has Joe Ford played alongside Matt Toomua for instance?

And if we happen to make the semi final through this, then great. Our run would be very difficult even with our EPS boys. We really can't afford to lose more than 2/3 of the remaining prem games if we stand a chance for top 4....
I'm absolutely sure its not going to happen, they dare not risk injuries before Gloucs game. I think we might see some experimentation. :smt045
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Leicester Tigers (v Wasps, away, Sunday 1.00pm)

15 Declan Cusack

14 Tom Brady

13 Matt Smith (c)

12 Charlie Thacker

11 Jonah Holmes

10 George Worth

9 Harry Simmons

1 Michele Rizzo

2 Jake Kerr

3 Chris Baumann

4 Cameron Jordan

5 Joe Maksymiw

6 Luke Hamilton

7 Adam Batt

8 Fred Tuilagi

Replacements

16 Jimmy Stevens

17 Facundo Gigena

18 Ben Betts

19 Charlie Pozniak

20 Henri Lavin

21 Will Yarnell

22 Sam Wager

23 Mathew Tait
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Guess we aren't super bothered about qualifying.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Heard excellent things about Cameron Jordan be interesting to see how he steps up here.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

MMMM......is this good or bad. Clearly we have given up on the AWC, does that mean we are focused on the AP or is it just dereliction?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Darc Tiger wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:08 pm Guess we aren't super bothered about qualifying.
WOW I had to google a large portion of the team
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Seen that Will Owen is starting at 6 for Wasps, never really made it when he was with us so be interesting to see how he plays.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 pm Heard excellent things about Cameron Jordan be interesting to see how he steps up here.
I know Cameron well, from Harborough days and now in last year at Oakham School, same year as my grandson, he is a big lad, and if his yellow cards recently are anything to go by he could be our future enforcer! Good luck Cam. :smt045
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

LE18 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:14 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 pm Heard excellent things about Cameron Jordan be interesting to see how he steps up here.
I know Cameron well, from Harborough days and now in last year at Oakham School, same year as my grandson, he is a big lad, and if his yellow cards recently are anything to go by he could be our future enforcer! Good luck Cam. :smt045
Glad you said that. Like Chobbsy, I also had to go googling and was wondering how we managed to get a 6'4" 21st American football defensive end for the New Orleans Saints signed up in time for the Wasps game!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Wasps: I know maybe 6 of the 23 (2 played for tigers.) I wouldn't right us off yet

15. Rob Miller
14. Owain James
13. Brendan Macken
12. Sam Spink
11. Marcus Watson
10. Jacob Umaga
9. Craig Hampson (c)
1. Tom West
2. Tommy Taylor
3. Will Stuart
4. Marcus Garratt
5. Will Rowlands
6. Will Owen
7. James Seabrook
8. Jack Willis

Replacements:

16. TJ Harris
17. George Thornton
18. Jack Higgins
19. Guy Borrowdale
20. Andy Saull
21. Joe Simpson
22. Cameron Anderson
23. Josh Bassett
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

We need Gloucester to beat Newcastle and us to win. Newcastle have put a pretty strong team team out. Although so have Gloucester.

Newcastle Falcons team to face Gloucester Rugby (Saturday, 3pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Alex Tait

13 Tom Penny

12 Josh Matavesi

11 Vereniki Goneva

10 Toby Flood

9 Michael Young

1 Sami Mavinga

2 Kyle Cooper

3 Scott Wilson

4 Glen Young

5 Andrew Davidson

6 Mark Wilson (captain)

7 Nili Latu

8 Ally Hogg

Replacements

16 Ben Sowrey

17 Adam Brocklebank

18 Trevor Davison

19 Ryan Burrows

20 Callum Chick

21 Joel Hodgson

22 Zach Kibirige

23 Sonatane Takulua

Gloucester Rugby

15 Tom Hudson

14 David Halaifonua

13 Matt Scott

12 Mark Atkinson

11 Henry Purdy

10 Owen Williams

9 Ben Vellacott

1 Cameron Orr

2 Motu Matu'u

3 Gareth Denman

4 Charlie Beckett

5 Jeremy Thrush (captain)

6 Gareth Evans

7 Will Safe

8 Ben Morgan

Replacements

16 Richard Hibbard

17 Paddy McAllister

18 Ciaran Knight

19 Tom Denton

20 Aaron Hinkley

21 Callum Braley

22 Elliott Creed

23 Tom Seabrook
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Big mistake not to prepare combinations for next week . Gloucester giving gametime to plenty of their starting squad .
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Spot on MikeR,absolutely ridiculous!