Haskell leaving Wasps

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: Haskell leaving Wasps

Post by TTRITH »

He'd add leadership and improve the go forward and mentality of our back. Could even dangle the captains band in front of him.

Unfortunately I can't see our board sanctioning it.

He'll be at Bristol or Saints.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Would love Haskell to come to us. Him and Thompson replacing Ryan and Hamilton would be definite upgrades.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Leadership is what we desperately in need of a difference the absence of anyone better I think he could be the guy to add it. Never been a massive fan of his, probably because he was Dallaglio s protégé but that's what might make him the leader we need.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

He's the ultimate professional, a very fit boy, massively into nutrition and body preservation along with his girlfriend, Chloe Madeley.

Just think -------- he could take Manu under his wing

On that count alone, apart from the fact he would be a massive improvement to our present lot, sign him ....,
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A seasoned international even past his prime must be a gargantuan leap forward from our current lot.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rumours are he offered to take a pay cut to get a one year deal at Wasps. Sounds like he's desperate to be in the AP for th RWC and then might head abroad again. If he wants to return to Japan post RWC then you can't blame him, top up his pension and add years to his career.

A one year deal with us would suit both parties very nicely and allow us to target some reinforcements when the SH internationals head north post tournament.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:46 pm Rumours are he offered to take a pay cut to get a one year deal at Wasps. Sounds like he's desperate to be in the AP for th RWC and then might head abroad again. If he wants to return to Japan post RWC then you can't blame him, top up his pension and add years to his career.

A one year deal with us would suit both parties very nicely and allow us to target some reinforcements when the SH internationals head north post tournament.
...in which case, why didn't Wasps give him a one year contract for exactly the same reason - particularly since they're losing Guy Thompson? :smt017
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:51 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:46 pm Rumours are he offered to take a pay cut to get a one year deal at Wasps. Sounds like he's desperate to be in the AP for th RWC and then might head abroad again. If he wants to return to Japan post RWC then you can't blame him, top up his pension and add years to his career.

...in which case, why didn't Wasps give him a one year contract for exactly the same reason - particularly since they're losing Guy Thompson? :smt017
http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/article/201 ... -19-season

Because they need to make salary cap savings?
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

And I have a feeling Carr could return now Vermuelen has returned to the Stormers
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbyflanker wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 pm And I have a feeling Carr could return now Vermuelen has returned to the Stormers
He's only got a contract until the end of the Super Rugby season so might well join after that. If they are intending to keep Cipriani having signed Soponga that'll be expensive as well.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ummm, I think it would be interesting to have Haskell, certainly he would be a great squad player and he’s good in defence but is past his prime, but Hamilton is better in attack and over the breakdown
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

JP14 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:48 am Ummm, I think it would be interesting to have Haskell, certainly he would be a great squad player and he’s good in defence but is past his prime
However, Eddie Jones has selected him to join the England Squad. Therefore, using the rationale of some on here, he must be the best in the world.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I can't believe Leicester fans wanting the signing of Haskell, not that I blame anyone as I did have to think about it myself, sad times!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tiger93 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:47 pm 'Haskell is exactly what we need'

That beats anything said by any Tigers fan, ever.

For me, we have several hard tacklers in the squad already. We also already have several who are brilliant at taking the ball into contact and dropping it and aren't particularly brilliant at passing.

I was merely jesting about the battered in training thing after what's come out in recent times so step down from that Horse! :smt018
I thought you were replying to me, but then you started waffling on about a Horse, and I'm not the equestrian type, so you must be directing your wisdom towards someone else. I'm curious though, what kind of majestic stallion gets to be referred to as a Horse with a capital H? The King of horses perhaps?

I sincerely hope that those responsible for our recruitment have rather different opinions on the teams needs than you do but, judging by the back row we have now, they probably don't.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:39 am I can't believe Leicester fans wanting the signing of Haskell, not that I blame anyone as I did have to think about it myself, sad times!
I'm curious, why would Haskell (a hugely experienced England international flanker) not be a good signing for a team with one of the worst back rows in the Premiership?