LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3!

Post by JP14 »

Cilliers played well on Saturday, the only thing that goes against him is his age and his fitness
Last edited by JP14 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I like both Cilliers and Hamilton. However, I doubt that Cilliers is cheap and given his fitness problems, would probably be best replace him with a more younger player.

Hamilton always impresses whenever I see him play, but feel he isn’t suited to our style of play. Guy Thompson is a much better 8 so can understand why he has been brought in, more abrasive ball carrier who will get us going forwards.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:21 pm Cilliers played well on Saturday, the only thing that goes against him is his age and his fitness
He's only 30, should be in his prime as a prop. You're right about his fitness being an issue. He'd be an ideal understudy to Cole of he could stay fit for more than five minutes. According to the website he has 22 appearances but only 3 starts in 18 months. In the same time Bateman has made 38 appearances and 5 starts. Admittedly it's better than Logo has managed but we need the second choice props to be fit and reliable.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

As Cole did with Castro and, briefly, Genge did with Marcos - we need the second choice to be pushing the first choice for the shirt! Needs to happen across the field - remember Ford and Flood.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm He's only 30, should be in his prime as a prop. You're right about his fitness being an issue. He'd be an ideal understudy to Cole of he could stay fit for more than five minutes. According to the website he has 22 appearances but only 3 starts in 18 months. In the same time Bateman has made 38 appearances and 5 starts. Admittedly it's better than Logo has managed but we need the second choice props to be fit and reliable.
Interesting stat but worth noting that for most of last season (16/17) both Bateman and Cilliers were competing for the same position.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Generally when fit, Cilliers has been in the squad, but the problem is he has all too often not been available, which is why Bateman has had to shift all around the front row.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

If Cilliers does leave, would have to ask why we let Balmain go last season. Cilliers has been plagued by injury problems since he got here.

Would love to bring in Paul Hill as a back up to Cole. Doesn’t seem to start much for Saints and always impresses me whenever I see him play. Good in the scrum and mobile around the park. Been there for 2 seasons so maybe his contract is up in the summer.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm If Cilliers does leave, would have to ask why we let Balmain go last season. Cilliers has been plagued by injury problems since he got here.

Would love to bring in Paul Hill as a back up to Cole. Doesn’t seem to start much for Saints and always impresses me whenever I see him play. Good in the scrum and mobile around the park. Been there for 2 seasons so maybe his contract is up in the summer.
I think its in our interests to be pursuing Hill and visa versa. Look at the development of Genge since coming here.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Balmain was offered a lot of dosh - I suspect that Cilliers is on far less . Balmain hasn't exactly been injury free with Glaws this season !
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tiger93 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:59 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm If Cilliers does leave, would have to ask why we let Balmain go last season. Cilliers has been plagued by injury problems since he got here.

I think its in our interests to be pursuing Hill and visa versa. Look at the development of Genge since coming here.
Having two twenty-two year old props would be quite tasty - particularly with Dan Cole at thirty approaching his peak!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

MikeR wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 pm Balmain was offered a lot of dosh - I suspect that Cilliers is on far less . Balmain hasn't exactly been injury free with Glaws this season !
Doubt it, Cilliers was signed as back up to Cole and Cockers doesn't skim on the TH fund.

Heard we signed Spencer for less money than worcester where offering.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:20 pm let Cilliers go and keep Baumann and Traynor - madness
Considering Cilliers is surely paid a hefty sum more than those 2 put together and is almost never available to actually play some rugby, I'd say it's fairly sensible...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think we have still out of contract: (? = Not sure)
LH. Rizzo, Traynor, Hills (?)
H. McGugian, Kerr (?)
TH. Mulipola, Cilliers, Beaumann
LK. Kitchener, Barrow, Maksymiw (?)
BR: Hamilton, Mapapalangi (?) Evans (?)
SH: Harrison (?)
FH: J.Ford (?)
C: Smith, Tait, Catchpole,
W: Brady, Holmes (?), Thompstone (?)
FB: Pakalani
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 pm I think we have still out of contract: (? = Not sure)
LH. Rizzo, Traynor, Hills (?)
H. McGugian, Kerr (?)
TH. Mulipola, Cilliers, Beaumann
LK. Kitchener, Barrow, Maksymiw (?)
BR: Hamilton, Mapapalangi (?) Evans (?)
SH: Harrison (?)
FH: J.Ford (?)
C: Smith, Tait, Catchpole,
W: Brady, Holmes (?), Thompstone (?)
FB: Pakalani
Didn't kitchener and Barrow only re-sign at the end of last season?
Were they just one year deals?
Also didn't Fitzgerald re-sign at a similar time to those two, was his a longer deal?
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

Baumann is close to being the AP worse TH and Traynor isn't much better on the other side,awful signings!