Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Racing

Post by CJ »

RE that tackle on Jonny May.
Some of the Racing staff and players were sitting next to me and they admitted "We got away with that one. That should have been a red card."

Overall, I think - or maybe that is just hope- that we saw the green shoots of recovery. At least they played with some spirit albeit not all the time.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I only saw the first half and was surprised that the final score was close.
However, a defeat is a defeat, and I won't begin to be encouraged until that elusive victory comes.
One win in the last eight or nine matches is unacceptable and I sincerely hope that the Board are currently "searching the world" (heard that one before, have you!) for someone to replace O'Connor, and top of my list would be Vern Cotter who I hear may not be staying with Montpellier after this season.
Semper in excretia
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

CJ wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:31 pm RE that tackle on Jonny May.
Some of the Racing staff and players were sitting next to me and they admitted "We got away with that one. That should have been a red card."
Looked more like a shoulder/back landing to me, yellow card, or a penalty at least.

To hear Owens say that there was nothing the blue player could do and Jonny May jumped into him, when there have been numerous instances of players being penalised/carded when they are not able to do anything and attacking players jumping into them , is about as inconsistent as you can get.

What happened to the 'duty of care' of the player on the ground? I don't buy the 'jumping into him bit, JM jumped for the ball and was obstructed, maybe the fact that he got up and continued attacking, credible as it was, worked against him.

The blue player still managed to grab Jonny May's legs with his arms when May was in the air....but there was nothing he could do about that either I guess.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Top of my list would be Leo Cullen
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

But for one decision in the second half I think Leicester would've won!
Brendan O'Connor was penalised for being a part of the tackle when making a turnover which looked perfectly good to me, a very poor decision on that occasion by the official in my opinion!
Racing scored three points from it, had it not happened we would've been looking at George Ford to kick three points for the win at the end!
I don't understand the negativity towards the performance, given fine margins like the penalty mentioned and against a strong physical side like Racing in those conditions who had it all to play for I thought Leicester were a bit unlucky today!
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Reading some of the negative remarks on this forum I wonder if they are being made by Northampton Fans. Anyone at todays game could easily see that the reason we lost were 2 really poor decisions by the officials. May robbed of a certain try and O'Connor second man in, pinged. The first cost us at least 5 points and the second gave Racing 3 points.

In exceptionally poor weather conditions and against what is considered the best pack in France we did very well despite a poor first 10 minutes and after that we matched them. Our defence was excellent for most of the remaining game and despite losing one line out Taf looks a great acquisition at 2. Tait played well and Owen came through without getting injured a really big plus. On the negative side BY box kicks could have been better as so the kick chase but I was freezing in the stand with my heavy coat and blanket heaven knows how cold our backs were but despite their hands being obviously so cold we made less handing errors than Racing.

News from the dressing room is that the guys feel they have turned it around. Only time will tell but its good to hear some confidence is returning. So we now have to wait for the Gloucester game to see if we have turned the corner. Talking to a couple of Directors after the game they are still convinced we will finish Top 4, (I hope so), lets get behind the guys they need our support.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:04 pm Top of my list would be Leo Cullen
He's at his home town(city?) club (Province). Can't see him leaving especially when you look at how well they are playing and the glut of excellent talent coming through. Must be a dream job.

Much better today. Of course this board has been demanding Wells replace Fitzgerald and the use of an openside for some weeks now. Nice to see MOC catching up with the common consensus eventually. Now time for Hardwick and Simmonds to replace Ford and Harrison on the bench.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

NONAME wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:10 pm

News from the dressing room is that the guys feel they have turned it around. Only time will tell but its good to hear some confidence is returning. So we now have to wait for the Gloucester game to see if we have turned the corner. Talking to a couple of Directors after the game they are still convinced we will finish Top 4, (I hope so), lets get behind the guys they need our support.
If they think that they might find the men in white coats ready to section them.

We again failed to deal with the maul. Linout was shocking and YBY’s kicking was shocking.

We got turned over at home by the 3rd team in one of the weakest groups in the tournament.

Cole, Wells and O’Connor played well. The rest of the pack anonymous at best. Fitz tackled well when he came on.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

MrPartridge wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:46 pm Says a lot that people are fairly happy with a home loss. How far we’ve come. Better than awful I guess.
Shows the level of expectation of the current team and coaches. Tigers are the new Worcester.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

NONAME wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:10 pm Reading some of the negative remarks on this forum I wonder if they are being made by Northampton Fans. Anyone at todays game could easily see that the reason we lost were 2 really poor decisions by the officials. May robbed of a certain try and O'Connor second man in, pinged. The first cost us at least 5 points and the second gave Racing 3 points.

In exceptionally poor weather conditions and against what is considered the best pack in France we did very well despite a poor first 10 minutes and after that we matched them. Our defence was excellent for most of the remaining game and despite losing one line out Taf looks a great acquisition at 2. Tait played well and Owen came through without getting injured a really big plus. On the negative side BY box kicks could have been better as so the kick chase but I was freezing in the stand with my heavy coat and blanket heaven knows how cold our backs were but despite their hands being obviously so cold we made less handing errors than Racing.

I didn't know Tigers had appointed an official team and board spin merchant.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I don’t anyone is happy with a loss, but this was the best performance from Tigers I’ve seen in a while.

Cole was massive in defence, as was Wells and Kitchener, putting in some big tackles. Kitchener gets stick when he plays badly but few praise him when he plays well. Today both locks were great against a massive French pack. O’Connor also showed that he is quality and when fit is one of the first names on the team sheet. Bateman is a great backup at LH and keep easily slot into the starting lineup.

The backs are hard to judge given the conditions todays game was played in. If Tigers can somehow build on this and put in the same intensity into the rest of their matches this season, they will make top 6. They just need to play at this level consistently. Whilst still not happy with a loss, we played better than the win against LI.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

We got turned over at home by the 3rd team in one of the weakest groups in the tournament.
This is typical of the one-eyed nay sayers’ approach at the moment. I do wonder how many are actually rugby fans let alone Tigers fans.

Racing have qualified for the quarters as a second place team. They have too many stars to mention - Carter on the bench for starters, and a wage bill to match.

Before the group started it was widely touted as the tightest in the set. So it proved. But for a bizarre try that From my seat in the main stand I couldn’t see as a try, but for a bizarre decision from Owens re the tackle was in the air, and the alleged knock on in goal, and the very strange decion against O’Connor (which I thought Owens tried to rectify with the off-side decision shortly after, when he’d been letting that go all game)....

I thought the lineout operated pretty well, we actually managed to defend their maul reasonably well, they had the edge in the scrum where their weight counted. Mulli also played well, Owens too. Thank goodness George had found his tee-kicking boots. May remained the threat we know him to be. Malouf has a few too many brain farts for my liking.

Conditions on the pitch were shocking - I doubt many watching at home would appreciate quite how bad. Tigers fronted up but came up short in strange circumstances. That’s life.

Dismissing Noname as just the corporate Tigers voice he sometimes sounds like is to miss the fact that there actually is another way to see the current situation, one too many here seem unwilling or unable to see.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

+1 on most counts.

I'm with grimlish and noname on this. That was a much improved performance and attitude. There are obviously shortfalls in size in the forwards, but we fronted up well and the result could easily have been the other way round. Given how poor we have been, isn't it obvious that the recovery will take a few games? You have to be pretty naiive to expect it to all come right in just one. I don't know if things will continue to improve, but as far as I'm concerned, that was a good start.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:00 pm Manu withdrew due to a tight calf
Are you sure it was not a "drowsy donkey?" :smt002
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

On the plus side, Mat Tait passed the ball quite often.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(