Tigers vs Racing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Racing

Post by TTRITH »

I can't help but think this team reeks of last chance saloon.

You are out of Europe. We won't have George Ford for the Six Nations. Why not play Toomua at 10, with Charlie Thacker or Gareth Owen or George Worth at 12? Unless we are legitimately going to pursue with Joe Ford as second choice 10 in which case we're up a creek without a paddle!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:11 pm I can't help but think this team reeks of last chance saloon.

You are out of Europe. We won't have George Ford for the Six Nations. Why not play Toomua at 10, with Charlie Thacker or Gareth Owen or George Worth at 12? Unless we are legitimately going to pursue with Joe Ford as second choice 10 in which case we're up a creek without a paddle!
+1
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:11 pm I can't help but think this team reeks of last chance saloon.

They were torn apart on the counter by Castres, and occasionally from Castres own 22, seriously what do you think Racing might do to them!
Worth did not have a good game and Thacker was...well, I couldn't print what I really thought without it being censored!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Isn't Owen still out?

Only really Wells and Simmons stood out in terms of youngsters in that game for me, Evans played well but it wasn't a commanding performance.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

The phrase locking the stable door after the horse has bolted springs to mind over this team selection. What's the
use of picking our so called stars in what is a dead rubber? Would probably have been better picking our youngsters as at least half a dozen of our stars will be missing in February and March because of the 6 Nations. :smt007
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

1. The more our '1st XV' play together, the better they will perform as a team.

2. Injuries are an inevitable part of a contact sport.

3. 'Development' players don't just improve by playing against better opposition. The biggest advantage of going up a level is playing with better team-mates.

4. Success breeds success.

5. You only have one priority - ours is the Premiership and finishing Top 6 at worst.

So - imho we should play the very best XV as often as possible and, in the AWC, we should include no more than three Development or '2nd XV' players max in any side we put out.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

BFG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:19 pm

They were torn apart on the counter by Castres, and occasionally from Castres own 22, seriously what do you think Racing might do to them!
Worth did not have a good game and Thacker was...well, I couldn't print what I really thought without it being censored!
But do you not think Worth or Thacker would do better with Toomua at 10? as opposed to Joe Ford at 10, who I still cannot believe was seen by the powers that be as good enough to be second choice 10.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

A European cup game at Welford Road... the anticipation, the atmosphere, the near international intensity, Tigers competing for a place in the quarters.... so much at stake. History now and we will ever have such days again? Destined for the Parker Pen in the coming years or whoever sponsors the second Teir competition these days. I guess if we win that next year we can say we have won everything, and I am sure there will be a refund on the Season Tiicket to take account of the collection of category C matches that will be on offer. At least we might get trip to Krasny Yar though. Cockers can give us a few tips on that one.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:19 pm

But do you not think Worth or Thacker would do better with Toomua at 10? as opposed to Joe Ford at 10, who I still cannot believe was seen by the powers that be as good enough to be second choice 10.
No I don't think they'd do better with Toomua at 10, all of those missed chances last week canno't be pinned on Joe Ford, and the defensive errors were individual weaknesses that have been quite apparent in certain players for some time!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Would ha e liked to have seen Worth get a run at 15 but happy with the side picked
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

ourla wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 pm
Latecomer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:06 pm This team selection is lunacy. Europe is gone. This team won't be playing next week in the Anglo Welsh, so why risk the first team?
So MOC does't get the sack
Because many players will have the next two weeks to rest
Because we are at home
Because we don't want 15,000 booing Tigers fans
Because Racing can still qualify so will be putting out a strong team
Because we need a confidence boost
Pride
And so on...
Doubtless there are political concerns, but the reasons for the selection maybe a bit more prosaic. If he rested the players who will be playing in the Gloucester game once again, he would need to play them at some point in the AWC. Four weeks without game is too long if you have a critical match to play. Playing them now stops them being 'under-cooked' and gives two weeks for any minor knocks to recover.

The same reasoning might apply to the England contingent, might as well play them as you have the AWC to get their back up prepared (Joe Ford doesn't need another bad day, give him some easier opportunities to build confidence). If you were being cynical, including the England players is low risk. If they get a knock it is EJ's problem as they wouldn't be be available for Tigers anyway. If you include the second string and one of the props does a medial, you have a real problem.

Surprised to see Tom Youngs on the sheet so soon. I thought Thacker has a reasonable game last week and they might give Youngs more recovery time.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

We won't have George Ford for the Six Nations. Why not play Toomua at 10
Now I can agree with that. Anyone think Joe Ford is remotely good enough to orchestrate a win at Kingsholm in a few weeks?

Krasny Yar here we come!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

For first time in .......................I don't know how long..........I couldn't give a hoot what happens. The performances this year have really got me down.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I believe the selection for this game is about right.
Last week was the embarassment of being the whipping boys and cannot be repeated.
Tigers have to go out and make life as difficult as possible for Racing and if they can scrape a win, then we'll all be delighted (even the doubting Thomas's among us!).
On the subject of Joe Ford - spending 90% of his time on the bench he hardly has any game time whatsoever, so it's not too surprising that he looked off the pace last Sunday. Whether he's good enough to be Tigers' second choice fly half is another matter. I saw him play for the first time last week so cannot really comment, but judging by the comments of others on the forum, the answer is a resounding NO.
Chopping and changing the team for important matches serves no purpose at all and the strongest team should be selected.
Sadly, I won't be at the match but will be watching it on the net. Let's hope that the ground is pretty full and that the fair weather supporters decide to go!
Semper in excretia
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

i honestly don't care about a result what we really need is a performance