Ged Glynn

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Ged Glynn

Post by ourla »

There is a thread on Facebook about him - basically saying he is at the route of all our evils.

This write up appeared in the Telegraph on 18 Jan 2016 (two years ago) after being appointed Head of Rugby Operations in 2014.
The secret to Leicester's success? Ged Glynn

Naturally, all the attention at Welford Road for the game against Benetton Treviso was focused on the man selected by Eddie Jones despite his lack of fitness, Manu Tuilagi, and another, Tom Youngs, overlooked despite his seemingly excellent form.

Both had fine games, but as per the story of their season the most effective performers for Leicester are those far removed from the spotlight. In this case, second row Dom Barrow and Mike Fitzgerald, a lock operating at blindside, were the best players on the pitch against Treviso. Both arrived last summer in what was described as an underwhelming recruitment drive. Big names were thin on the ground.

The arrivals instead came from clubs such as London Welsh, Newcastle and Worcester while established performers Julian Salvi, Geoff Parling and Jamie Gibson were allowed to depart. It didn’t appear a prudent strategy at the time, but now with the benefit of hindsight it seems inspired.

Telusa Veainu, Lachlan McCaffrey and Mike Williams would all figure in any team of the season XV with Fitzgerald, Peter Betham and Brendon O’Connor not far behind. While Richard Cockerill, the director of rugby, plays a hands-on role in recruitment, the man who deserves most of the credit is Ged Glynn, the head of rugby operations and de facto chief scout. No one in English rugby has uncovered as many rough gems as Glynn and his success rate is a prime reason that Leicester are into the Champions Cup quarter-finals with a round to spare as well as flying high in the Premiership.
Two years on the article may have been written quite differently.

What do people on here think? Is Glynn an asset? Is he partly or largely to blame for our predicament? Anybody met him or know him?
Tigerbeat

Re: Ged Glynn

Post by Tigerbeat »

Have met him at all the home games I have attended.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I find it hard to place to much blame at his door. We are playing as significantly less than the some of our parts. That's something that has to be laid at the feet of the coaching staff.

Ged Glynn over saw our academy changes which have meant we're seeing more talent coming through again after a couple of fairly barren years. He's also signing players based on what the head coach at the time wants. The head coach situation being in flux last season must have made it difficult for him, as our head coach appointment was made late so was a lot of our dealings.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 pm I find it hard to place to much blame at his door. We are playing as significantly less than the some of our parts. That's something that has to be laid at the feet of the coaching staff.

Ged Glynn over saw our academy changes which have meant we're seeing more talent coming through again after a couple of fairly barren years. He's also signing players based on what the head coach at the time wants. The head coach situation being in flux last season must have made it difficult for him, as our head coach appointment was made late so was a lot of our dealings.
Glynn the reason we have missed out on Cordero.

He is the biggest issue at the club currently and is alot more involved in things than you're making it out to be.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:30 pm I find it hard to place to much blame at his door. We are playing as significantly less than the some of our parts. That's something that has to be laid at the feet of the coaching staff.

Glynn the reason we have missed out on Cordero.

He is the biggest issue at the club currently and is alot more involved in things than you're making it out to be.
Have we?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Six years with Spain before joining Leicester and I think it shows.
I can understand six earlier years on the CV with a lower tier nation like Spain but not the six years immediately previous to joining a top club like Leicester.
The bloke hasn't much of a clue and is out of his depth in my opinion.
I don't like his PR strategy either, articles stating the changes have improved the academy and including the current U20 lot in that PR, who were already involved in the system before the changes, so IF there is any credit to be had AT ALL then it goes to the former coaches involved in my opinion.
I think time will show that they aren't quite as good as being made out anyway.
Leicester is a top club and needs current people performing to the highest standard.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The argument goes that he is responsible for the poor coaching - whether that be appointing the wrong coaches, not having enough coaches, etc.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 pm Have met him at all the home games I have attended.
And?
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

Think you maybe shocked if you look at who GG has brought to the club and with regards the Academy the changes made have made a huge difference and will have a major impact in future seasons on future Tigers squads. Anyone who has been down Oval Park will tell you of the great atmosphere and team spirit. (Win, lose or draw they give 100% maybe the first team should take a look) We have a great coach in AA who I'm sure will eventually rise to the post of DoR.

GG is not our forwards coach and he is not responsible for dropping the ball or missing tackles. We need a forwards coach and we need to get rid of those players who are their only to pick up their paycheck. I am sure GG will appoint a forwards coach when the right one becomes available, I'm sure he will dispose of those players who need to go but this isn't going to happen to the end of the seasons. I'm sure our new signings when announced will reflect well on his ability to do the job.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

NONAME wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:25 am Think you maybe shocked if you look at who GG has brought to the club and with regards the Academy the changes made have made a huge difference and will have a major impact in future seasons on future Tigers squads. Anyone who has been down Oval Park will tell you of the great atmosphere and team spirit. (Win, lose or draw they give 100% maybe the first team should take a look) We have a great coach in AA who I'm sure will eventually rise to the post of DoR.

GG is not our forwards coach and he is not responsible for dropping the ball or missing tackles. We need a forwards coach and we need to get rid of those players who are their only to pick up their paycheck. I am sure GG will appoint a forwards coach when the right one becomes available, I'm sure he will dispose of those players who need to go but this isn't going to happen to the end of the seasons. I'm sure our new signings when announced will reflect well on his ability to do the job.
I wish I had your faith.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 pm
NONAME wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:25 am Think you maybe shocked if you look at who GG has brought to the club and with regards the Academy the changes made have made a huge difference and will have a major impact in future seasons on future Tigers squads. Anyone who has been down Oval Park will tell you of the great atmosphere and team spirit. (Win, lose or draw they give 100% maybe the first team should take a look) We have a great coach in AA who I'm sure will eventually rise to the post of DoR.

I wish I had your faith.
I agree with you ourla.
What strikes me as extremely odd is claiming the changes take credit for the current U20's, these U20's were already in the academy when the former coach McCarthy was here, perhaps NONAME could explain that!
We are being spun a line or he has not a clue, meanwhile everyone else gets flak!
That's no slight on coaches like AA who I'm sure are more than capable of doing a good job themselves.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ourla wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:28 pm

The argument goes that he is responsible for the poor coaching - whether that be appointing the wrong coaches, not having enough coaches, etc.
My point is how can you appoint coaches if the board (Ged Glynn's bosses) have appointed a head coach who doesn't want any additional coaching input? You can't undermine a head coach like that or you risk creating the kind of problems we had with Mauger and Cockers but a lot quicker.

Now that might not be the case and MOC might be asking for a forwards coach but I haven't seen him mention bringing one in during any of his press conferences. MOC is happy to talk about player recruitment so if he wanted a forwards coach I can't imagine him not piping up.

Unless we have access to the day to day workings of the club we don't know how well Ged is doing. We can see the academy has improved dramatically since his overhaul and we are generating players and more England representation after a slight barren spell. The first team is struggling but as fans we argue about why that is so it's difficult to necessarily put that at his door. We are looking at him expectantly for next season though and if he doesn't recruit well then maybe his position is under threat.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 pm We can see the academy has improved dramatically since his overhaul and we are generating players and more England representation after a slight barren spell.
This comment just makes very little sense because the six current players selected for England U20 were in the academy before the overhaul!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:08 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 pm We can see the academy has improved dramatically since his overhaul and we are generating players and more England representation after a slight barren spell.
This comment just makes very little sense because the six current players selected for England U20 were in the academy before the overhaul!
There were lots of talented players entering the academy before. The problem was the coaches at the time had an agenda and a very specific view of what a Tigers player should be and we therefore let many go and opted to develop players that have no made it to the first team. Glynn seems to have improved our development pathways, it's not about an overhaul in finding talent it's developing what we've got.

I know a lad who was a county player at age grade and on his first day with the academy the only question he got asked by a certain coach was "which school are you at?". His answer wasn't approved of because he wasn't asked anymore questions and got dropped quickly (that coach is now gone). A rugby league side offered him a contract soon after. Charlie Walker was another who was told he wasn't going to make it.

Glynn became head of operations in 2014 about the same time as he changed the academy setup. Prime development age for the current batch of England under 20 players who are all 18/19.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Just a reminder don''t focus all you attention on just getting MOC out.

Glynn and Cohen need to be held accountable and for more than just MOC appointment.
Also if Mr Chairman aswell.