Bananaman leaves Bath for Glaws

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Bananaman leaves Bath for Glaws

Post by mightymouse »

I know many on here have been quite rude about him in the past but this fellow has been a good servant to Bath and has been a dangerous player to play against for many teams including us on many occasions. In some ways I find it rather sad that a man who has spent his career at a club cannot stay there till the end of it. He was offered the same money and a 2 year deal. Surely that's enough! But I suppose these blokes have to worry about their future and perhaps therefore was no long term plan at Bath and he needs to milk what's left of his time playing
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Bananaman leaves Bath for Glaws

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

maybe he simply didn't want to stay at Bath and wanted to experience playing for another club before he retired?
Flash

Post by Flash »

From what I read his last contract was a 5 year one where he took a pay cut. The salary cap has gone up a fair bit since then and he's a good premiership player and he'll probably be hard to replay for them.

The bath chronicle article said they might need two players to replace his versatility because this season he's player in each position from 11 - 15.

Can't blame him taking more money without the need to move house.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Flash wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:12 pmFrom what I read his last contract was a 5 year one where he took a pay cut.
That's how I understood it. Took a drop in pay / reduced money offer to secure a longer (5 year) contract previously. The 'new' offer was allegedly at the previously agreed reduced rate, only this time over a shorter term. The length of contract is understandable, the salary possibly not.

Doesn't really reflect inflation or his previous service, though sentiment can't really come into these days.

He has another contract, more money etc but it remains Bath's loss and I know a few of their supporters who are up in arms about how he has been treated / dealt with.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

It will be good business for the cherry and whites IF he doesn't get injured. If he does then Bath can say I told you so!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 pm I know many on here have been quite rude about him in the past but this fellow has been a good servant to Bath and has been a dangerous player to play against for many teams including us on many occasions. In some ways I find it rather sad that a man who has spent his career at a club cannot stay there till the end of it. He was offered the same money and a 2 year deal. Surely that's enough! But I suppose these blokes have to worry about their future and perhaps therefore was no long term plan at Bath and he needs to milk what's left of his time playing
Having met him several times and just generally chatting to him not just about rugby, I changed my opinion of him, he is a really decent and good guy.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We like to knock him (after all he play's for Bath) however he has been a good club player for them and presumably will be for Glaws too.

The problem with utility players is they rarely make it at international level. It wasn't his fault England picked him when the whole team was clueless!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Very good player, has really improved over the last couple of years as he's added more subtlety and awareness to his game - unfortunately too late for him to do more at international level.

Manu would do well to look at Matt's career and learn from it.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

A good signing for Glaws!

This looks like another commercial decision of the kind that is becoming more prevalent in rugby. They may make commercial sense, but the image and culture of the club gets tarnished when such an iconic figure leaves in such circumstances.
Valhalla I am coming!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:32 am
mightymouse wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 pm I know many on here have been quite rude about him in the past but this fellow has been a good servant to Bath and has been a dangerous player to play against for many teams including us on many occasions. In some ways I find it rather sad that a man who has spent his career at a club cannot stay there till the end of it. He was offered the same money and a 2 year deal. Surely that's enough! But I suppose these blokes have to worry about their future and perhaps therefore was no long term plan at Bath and he needs to milk what's left of his time playing
Having met him several times and just generally chatting to him not just about rugby, I changed my opinion of him, he is a really decent and good guy.
Would agree there - a real gent.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

So what exactly is the truth? Ive heard 3 different stories!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Good luck Matt.
Yes he wore the Blue white black hoops and was a club player through and through. He was the shining light in the Barff team and got them out of many a whole.
The professional era demands that you pay your players their worth or risk them moving.
He will be a threat in a transformed Glaws team.

Note to MOC...........