Castres vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Castres vs Tigers

Post by kpj tiger »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:37 pm Place kicking in the Chris Paterson class, the rest as a 10 not startling although quite a tough nut.Would make a good 10/15 though in the Paterson mould.
I thought he looked pretty decent in the LV, ran the back line well against Bath
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Neither Tom Hardwick or Holmes are registered in the Tigers squad as Tuesday night so cannot play
v Castres.
see :- http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/lei ... ?section=3
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I expect to see Joe Ford at 10 in Castres. Hardwick is a fine prospect but probably needs another season before challenging for the Premiership and European squads.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:53 am I expect to see Joe Ford at 10 in Castres. Hardwick is a fine prospect but probably needs another season before challenging for the Premiership and European squads.
You may be right about Hardwick. Do you think that J Ford is here on merit and genuinely challenging for a start in the Premiership and European squads?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Absolute farce that Hardwick and Holmes aren't registered. Starting Joe Ford over Hardwick is baffling.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Tiger93 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:49 pm Absolute farce that Hardwick and Holmes aren't registered. Starting Joe Ford over Hardwick is baffling.
No it's not baffling as JF has been in the 23 most weeks, which means he's MOCs 2nd choice 10.

Personally I'd start Toomua at 10 and have Owen (if fit) at 12 and Manu at 13.

But as we all know the backs will become incidental if the pack doesn't front up. Fingers crossed for;

Bateman, The Aussie, Logo, Wells, Williams, BOC, Hamilton (at 8) and one other of the Tongans at 6. Oh for Ed Slater!!
Soggypitch
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Soggypitch wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:15 pm
Tiger93 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:49 pm Absolute farce that Hardwick and Holmes aren't registered. Starting Joe Ford over Hardwick is baffling.
No it's not baffling as JF has been in the 23 most weeks, which means he's MOCs 2nd choice 10.

Personally I'd start Toomua at 10 and have Owen (if fit) at 12 and Manu at 13.

But as we all know the backs will become incidental if the pack doesn't front up. Fingers crossed for;

Bateman, The Aussie, Logo, Wells, Williams, BOC, Hamilton (at 8) and one other of the Tongans at 6. Oh for Ed Slater!!
Baffling from the point that Hardwick has massive potential and years to develop whereas Joe has hardly pulled up trees so far?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Hardwick looks a bit erratic to me, stretched, particularly in defence.
Needs a lot of growth in his game if it is possible to be starting for Leicester in my opinion.
It's one thing to be playing and another thing entirely being successful, there is the potential for him to do well and there is also the potential for him to do badly!
His place kicking is absolutely brilliant though!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not really a farce IMO, can't think of anything worse than giving a young 10 his senior debut against a french team in France.
Castres have not lost in their last 8 home games and have some massive players that will just be running at him for 80 mins.
No point in potentially knocking his confidence when the AWC is in 2 weeks.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

I'll hold you to that and see how Joe gets on!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

There used to be a time when Tigers went to France and ( mostly)expected to win
We will be very very lucky not to ship tens of points in Castres-------the bookies dont hold out any hope, none whatsoever.
My prediction 55-16 to Castres
But I really hope I'm wrong and the few dozen supporters travelling can enjoy the Sunday night....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

fortysix wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:37 am There used to be a time when Tigers went to France and ( mostly)expected to win
When was the last time we won in France? 2006/2007?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tiger93 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:31 am I'll hold you to that and see how Joe gets on!
Joe might have a terrible match and get continuously targeted and flattened by the Castres heavyweights. But, since we're not really concerned about his long term progression, that's preferable to Hardwick having the same experience.

There's a time and a place for a young fly half to be given his debut. An almost certainly meaningless (for us) game against a huge team in France is not it.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

There is a big gulf between academy/A League/Premiership/Europe, and the gulf is currently bigger than it ever has been.
Playing off a wet behind the ears 10 against Joe Ford is just not fair in my opinion.
It doesn't help with Glynn spouting off his usual stuff to cover his back, as again is the case today!
Those of us that were there saw what happened against Saints reserves, it could've been a cricket score had Saints not been decent sports and eased off, especially up front!
The Championship is a higher level than the A League currently in my opinion and in terms of ability (not fitness) in many cases even the National Leagues are higher!
Let's see if they can earn an U20 World Cup place first, and then a starting place, and be major players in a winning side.
Castres away will be a difficult match for anyone!
Rugbyflanker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rugbyflanker »

We are gonna get crushed Sunday! Just read MOC column too zzzzzzzz rehearsed,cliched nonsense,cant wait for this nightmare to end. Some decent players coming in,but that will soon be coached out of them!