Away Trip to Castres

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PCA26
Tiger Cub

Away Trip to Castres

Post by PCA26 »

Can anyone give advice on best way from Carcassone to Castres please - believe there is a train via Toulouse

Best rugby pubs and other places to visit in Carcassone and Castres ?

John Griff - are away supporters meeting somewhere before the game ?
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Away Trip to Castres

Post by trendylfj »

Correct - there is a train which takes about 3 hrs and cost £25-30 pp - tried to find a direct bus and couldn't so we have car hired. There is a bus but takes 4 hrs and goes to Toulouse and then a different bus from Toulouse to Castres and that cost about £18 pp. We are staying for 2 days in Carcassonne and found the cheapest and most convenient way was to car hire from Carcassonne airport and returning it to Toulouse airport for 4 people as we have to get to Toulouse airport on Monday. £120 for 6 days by car (£30pp + petrol) and about £40+ pp including airport runs by bus but no freedom and a lot longer journeys - drive from Carc to Cas = 40 miles (1hr)
Hehehehehehehehe
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

It's a no brainer with car hire so cheap. £60 for us Friday - Monday.

I would always say to buy your own excess insurance however from Questor or similar, don't pay the over inflated prices the car hire firms charge! You can get annual or single trip policies.
Soggypitch
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

There is no arrangement for the Away Supporters to meet in any particular place in Castres however a safe bet is that many will make it to the Irish bar it seems that Tigers fans cannot manage a weekend without a fix of Guinness. If the y have a bitter on tap I might be there myself.
For those staying in Toulouse on Sunday night please note that the last train is too early for you to see the end of the match and catch the train! Car hire or a change of hotel seem the best answers.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 am There is no arrangement for the Away Supporters to meet in any particular place in Castres however a safe bet is that many will make it to the Irish bar it seems that Tigers fans cannot manage a weekend without a fix of Guinness. If the y have a bitter on tap I might be there myself.
For those staying in Toulouse on Sunday night please note that the last train is too early for you to see the end of the match and catch the train! Car hire or a change of hotel seem the best answers.
Sounds a plan John, we will head for the Irish bar pre match. How far out of the centre is the ground?

Good point about the train/hotel, we cancelled our hotel in Toulouse on the Sunday night once the graveyard fixture time was announced. We are now staying in Castres in the Renaissance on Sunday which means leaving about 7am on Monday to catch the flight back to Stansted from Toulouse.

I wonder how many restaurants will be open in Castres after 8.30 on a Sunday evening?

We were thinking a long Sunday lunch and just a snack in the evening might be the better policy!
Soggypitch
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

My experience of France is they don't cook on Sunday evenings.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I've just bought a pair of tickets and will head over to Castres for mid afternoon to have a couple of swift halves in a bar in the main square before walking to the ground that seems about a quarter of an hour away.
A bientôt!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:27 pm My experience of France is they don't cook on Sunday evenings.
Although not all restaurants will be open, there are bound to be some. It would be worth checking opening times of retaurants on the Castres Tourist office site.
Semper in excretia
PCA26
Tiger Cub

Post by PCA26 »

Does anyone have couple of places in car from Carcassonne to Castres on the Saturday and /or the return journey on the Monday ?
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

PCA26 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:20 pm Does anyone have couple of places in car from Carcassonne to Castres on the Saturday and /or the return journey on the Monday ?
No sorry PCA26 we are not leaving Carcassonne until Sunday morning.
Soggypitch
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Sorry Mate - there are 4 in our car.
Hehehehehehehehe
Tweentown

Post by Tweentown »

Just in case anyone hasn't got tickets and was intending to get them at the ground - Castres website currently has a buy one get one free special offer on tickets for the game if you book on line.
Bring back the rolling maul...and they did
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

My mates tell me that Tigers have had to match Castres, BOGOF, and that you can get a refund if you bought from Tigers, better hurry though!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 pm My mates tell me that Tigers have had to match Castres, BOGOF, and that you can get a refund if you bought from Tigers, better hurry though!
Quite right too. They should be :censored: glad of our support without ripping us off for the tickets as well!!!
Soggypitch
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Be fair, Tigers sold Castres tickets in advance of receiving them and asked for the stated price. On receipt and finding that the BOGOF prices applied Tigers immediately emailed purchasers to say they would get a refund, thank you very much Castres AND the Tiger's ticket office.