LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2017/18 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 2!!

Post by BFG »

Grimlish wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:24 pm The relationship with local communities and institutions can be a minefield.

I brought my neighbour and his family to a game earlier this season. Both offspring play junior rugby with the local club. Turns out one is a Tigers fan and the other is a Wasps fan along with all his teammates in his year group. The club has brought groups to Tigers forever but on one occasion when they wanted to tie it to a training day Tigers were unable to accommodate their dates for the year group in question. They went to Wasps instead. Game over for that group of potential fans/players... Worse still the parents (rugby newbies really) enjoyed the atmosphere at Wasps when they went - they found it more approachable (I think that means they knew when to cheer and chant cos they were told when - may heaven help us all). I suppose we could just wait for the franchise to move on but we shouldn't count on it...
I think you make a good point, it's far too easy to switch sides now!
If you get rejected it's too easy to think "no you are wrong and I will try that place instead" rather than think "I need to go away and work on this and that and come again when ready".
Rejection is a tough thing to take!
Still though the power of some schools can't be underestimated, academies provide a platform to develop their players and the exposure is great to attract future players and they use it to the detriment of the communities around about in my opinion!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well none of my teammates are in a Wasps version of the Development Player Program so I wonder if Wasps are targeting players at Colts level from Hinckley
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:44 pm Well none of my teammates are in a Wasps version of the Development Player Program so I wonder if Wasps are targeting players at Colts level from Hinckley
As John put they are not allowed to target outside of their catchments, but if a youngster decides then so be it if he qualifies.
It's early days anyway but I do know they have a lad from Harborough with them so they are picking some up later.
Last edited by BFG on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Crashball Rugby reports: "Leicester Tigers are reportedly pursuing the signature of Bristol's Mark Bakewell to take up the role of forwards coach at Welford road."

The New Zealander spent three years as Forwards Coach at Bath between 2006 and 2009. In a coaching career spanning more than twenty years, Bakewell has coached Brive, Melbourne Rebels, Tonga and the Barbarians.

I want to be excited but I'm.................underwhelmed, I think.

Anyone know much about him?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 pm Crashball Rugby reports: "Leicester Tigers are reportedly pursuing the signature of Bristol's Mark Bakewell to take up the role of forwards coach at Welford road."

The New Zealander spent three years as Forwards Coach at Bath between 2006 and 2009. In a coaching career spanning more than twenty years, Bakewell has coached Brive, Melbourne Rebels, Tonga and the Barbarians.

Not much, I think Bath won the Challenge Cup during that period, (sarcasm) with what was the remains of a decent pack built several years earlier, that's about all I can remember!
Last edited by BFG on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

BFG wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 pm
strawclearer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:12 pm Crashball Rugby reports: "Leicester Tigers are reportedly pursuing the signature of Bristol's Mark Bakewell to take up the role of forwards coach at Welford road."

Not much, I think Bath won the Challenge Cup during that period, (cue the sarcasm) with what was the remains of a decent pack built several years earlier, that's about all I can remember!
I hear he makes a good tart or is it pudding? I'll get my coat.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:32 pm

Not much, I think Bath won the Challenge Cup during that period, (cue the sarcasm) with what was the remains of a decent pack built several years earlier, that's about all I can remember!
That'll explain Flatman's physique!
Last edited by BFG on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

You are hereby renamed 'Voice of the Crumble' for that one.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:35 pm

You are hereby renamed 'Voice of the Crumble' for that one.
Very good SC!
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think it’s good that Leicester are going after someone that has never been involved at the club, could have we done slightly better? Maybe? Still a forwards coach with experience in the Top14 is good but we’re Brive in the ProD2 then?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ian Cockerill creating more noise over Mulipola (who’s been playing his best rugby since 2014)

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport ... rs-1023651
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

some info about his rugby outside bath.
I coached Easts from 1995-2001, while winning NSW Coach of the Year in 2000 was the catalyst to get me to France as head coach of Brive. For two years I worked harder than ever before. After achieving greater than 75% success rate from 60 games in two seasons and taking Brive to the top division, I left following a contract dispute.

I was lucky to meet Steve Hansen and Mike Cron, and I did some analysis for Steve when he was Wales head coach. Both men have had such a positive influence on my career and they remind me why I’m so proud of my Kiwi heritage.

Beziers was next stop where the volatility of French rugby was prominent. Head coach Jean-Pierre Élissalde got the sack in true French style, leaving me in charge for the final four months of my two-year tenure.

Coming to England could have come a year earlier, but a last-minute work-permit issue stopped the opportunity to leave Beziers for London Irish to work with Brian Smith again. Thankfully Eddie Jones asked me to do some coaching at Suntory and some set-piece technical analysis for his Wallabies side for their tour to Europe. This was one of three times I have been involved with the Wallabies – the others were under Greg Smith in ‘96 who wanted to ‘toughen up’ his team, and in 2009 to help Robbie Deans with lineout preparation for England.

After Bath, I spent 18 months with the Melbourne Rebels. My family never settled so after 11 years away we headed home to Sydney and back to Easts. I then worked with Tonga 2012-13 and we enjoyed a notable success against Scotland in Aberdeen. I also had the privilege of coaching the Barbarians with Steve Hansen. I’m currently enjoying success at Suntory and coaching with two great men in Andy Friend and Pete Hewat.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/feature ... ath-coach/

Personally i feel it would be a good signing, no doubt can see why others will be unsure.
Just not sure how much more this pack has really maybe enough to be a top 4 type team but they won't be challenging top teams still.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Is anyone else now bored of waiting for something to be announced?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm Is anyone else now bored of waiting for something to be announced?
I highly doubt there will be any departures now before the end of the season unless we get absolutely slaughtered in the last 2 European games (Although i'm led to believe MOC is on very thin ice)
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I was thinking about Gigena and Cordero. Possible long shot in Spencer or Mafi, something to smile about.