Wasps report £3.8m losses and rising £43m debt

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger93

Re: Wasps report £3.8m losses and rising £43m debt

Post by Tiger93 »

Or maybe its worth discussing because if it works and they get away with it we could also get on that ship and improve our squad and club?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Get away with what?
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

The bond scheme and then breaking the clauses.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Ah I see - not sure they did it on purpose. One would think they would have chosen to make more EBITDA if they could, but who knows what goes on in that world.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

That's why ive posted it. Im hoping someone with better knowledge can dissect it.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Ripe for sale.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ourla wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:29 pm It's early days.

Speculate to accumulate.
A lot of accumulating required! :smt003
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

The scale of the borrowing may be new but is the principle new? In large part it’s Bonds owned predominantly by the club’s fans, no?There must be many sports clubs that have done something similar. Indeed I know some here have ‘shares’ (non-voting?) issued some time ago at Tigers on what might be a similar basis even if the money involved is smaller - perhaps one of those could clarify? It’s surely only the question of whether this is an investment that pays off or a gamble that lumbers the club with an impossible debt causing its demise. They are some way off filling their stadium with fans on a sustainable basis so we can expect more slightly aggressive marketing and breaking of old assumptions about what works. And the use of other enterprises to cross subsidise the rugby - that’s also not an unusual model in sport - take a look at Barca.

I’d prefer they weren’t the new noisy neighbours and I don’t want them beating us on the field at any time - but IF they stick to the salary cap and associates rules, what’s the problem?
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

We didn't spend the injury dispensation available to us this season, so if we aren't going over the cap by the legal means available, we certainly aren't going to Bath it are we...?!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Grimlish wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:54 pm The scale of the borrowing may be new but is the principle new? In large part it’s Bonds owned predominantly by the club’s fans, no?There must be many sports clubs that have done something similar. Indeed I know some here have ‘shares’ (non-voting?) issued some time ago at Tigers on what might be a similar basis even if the money involved is smaller - perhaps one of those could clarify? It’s surely only the question of whether this is an investment that pays off or a gamble that lumbers the club with an impossible debt causing its demise. They are some way off filling their stadium with fans on a sustainable basis so we can expect more slightly aggressive marketing and breaking of old assumptions about what works. And the use of other enterprises to cross subsidise the rugby - that’s also not an unusual model in sport - take a look at Barca.

I’d prefer they weren’t the new noisy neighbours and I don’t want them beating us on the field at any time - but IF they stick to the salary cap and associates rules, what’s the problem?
Not only Barca. Tigers are doing the same with the new hotel they are building.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The Tiger's share issue at the time of becoming a PLC was gifts to existing members and purchase by members and do give us a vote on major issues raised at the AGM. It is right that non rugby activities subsidise players wages etc as quite simply revenue raised by rugby alone is not sufficient to meet the salary cap figure. The Wasp model is not simple and only time will tell if it works, there will come a time when in some manner they have to pay back the capital raised by the bonds. It will be interesting to see how they do it.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 pm The Tiger's share issue at the time of becoming a PLC was gifts to existing members and purchase by members and do give us a vote on major issues raised at the AGM. It is right that non rugby activities subsidise players wages etc as quite simply revenue raised by rugby alone is not sufficient to meet the salary cap figure. The Wasp model is not simple and only time will tell if it works, there will come a time when in some manner they have to pay back the capital raised by the bonds. It will be interesting to see how they do it.
I'm all for drawing in extra revenue from non-rugby activity to support the core rugby activity. Maybe if they ever get round to building a multi-storey car park behind the Crumbie that will be another additional income source on non-match days.

I have a vague recollection of reading some time ago a suggestion that Wasps had raised some of the borrowing by over-valuing the Ricoh stadium. If so this seems a bit of a dangerous thing to do. As you say John time will tell whether they are successful.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't think you will have long to wait for the multi storey car park, I am hoping there will be room for coaches to depart to away fixtures next season!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:00 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 pm The Tiger's share issue at the time of becoming a PLC was gifts to existing members and purchase by members and do give us a vote on major issues raised at the AGM. It is right that non rugby activities subsidise players wages etc as quite simply revenue raised by rugby alone is not sufficient to meet the salary cap figure. The Wasp model is not simple and only time will tell if it works, there will come a time when in some manner they have to pay back the capital raised by the bonds. It will be interesting to see how they do it.
I'm all for drawing in extra revenue from non-rugby activity to support the core rugby activity. Maybe if they ever get round to building a multi-storey car park behind the Crumbie that will be another additional income source on non-match days.

I have a vague recollection of reading some time ago a suggestion that Wasps had raised some of the borrowing by over-valuing the Ricoh stadium. If so this seems a bit of a dangerous thing to do. As you say John time will tell whether they are successful.
AFAIK the stadium is collateral, but not wholly owned, and there is surrounding real estate. I hope that the club does not collapse, but have this 'orrible feeling that a quiet sale to a hedge fund will occur sometime. Mind you, the ownership of Quins is a bit odd, the ultimate owner being a group in Singapore or HK?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

Their accounts are late again. Not exactly good publicity is it.