Tigers v Munster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers v Munster

Post by Hinckley Bob »

If Toomua is fit, he surely has to play. We need him to organise our defensive effort as well as taking some of the pressure off Ford and Youngs. Similarly, if Manu is fit, he should be on the bench.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott11 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm I think our future was decided when the board bottled it and stayed "in house" with the MOC appointment!
That isn't what you said a few weeks ago in the Matt O'Connor thread:

Scott11
Silver Member
Silver Member
RE: MATT O'CONNOR
Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:44 am

Good debate guys! There's arguments for both sides i guess,I'm just glad that dark period has ended. I wasn't in the MOC camp,i thought the Tigers way was outdated and we should've gone down the world class coach route,boy am i enjoying being wrong lol! Still early days yet but could we be on the verge of something special? Mapapalangi topped the AP chart this week for carries and Thacker topped the turnover charts and he was a replacement! Our recruitment as a whole has easily been the best in the AP this season imo,well done to all involved!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:58 pm
Scott11 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:10 pm I think our future was decided when the board bottled it and stayed "in house" with the MOC appointment!
That isn't what you said a few weeks ago in the Matt O'Connor thread:

Scott11
Silver Member
Silver Member
RE: MATT O'CONNOR
Post Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:44 am

Good debate guys! There's arguments for both sides i guess,I'm just glad that dark period has ended. I wasn't in the MOC camp,i thought the Tigers way was outdated and we should've gone down the world class coach route,boy am i enjoying being wrong lol! Still early days yet but could we be on the verge of something special? Mapapalangi topped the AP chart this week for carries and Thacker topped the turnover charts and he was a replacement! Our recruitment as a whole has easily been the best in the AP this season imo,well done to all involved!
People can be wrong - you of all people should be acutely aware of that.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

"Still early days" "could be on the verge" "i am enjoying being wrong" so i was premature in my praise,we are on the verge of going backwards if thats possible and i wasnt wrong!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:47 pm
wormus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:32 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:41 pm Finally decided on...

15 Jonny May
14 Adam Thompstone
13 Manu Tuilagi
12 George Worth
11 Nick Malouf
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs
1 Michele Rizzo
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Harry Wells
5 Dom Barrow
6 Mike Williams
7 Luke Hamilton
8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau
17 Logovi’i Mulipola
18 Chris Baumann
19 Mike Fitzgerald
20 Valentino Mapapalangi
21 Sam Harrison
22 Mat Tait
23 Matt Smith

Not really bothered where 11 to 15 play as long as they're all in there somewhere! I reckon they're our best available backs. Harry Wells in for the breakdown.

For Munster - winger Andrew Conway ( :smt011 ) and hooker Rhys Marshall sustained concussions and are doubts for this weekend. Niall Scannell and Keith Earls are both expected to be back in training this week and could feature.
Bearing in mind that the deadline for team squad changes is Tuesday @ 12:00 I see that Tigers have made two changes - they have taken out Jake Kerr and Tuohy but only added Maksymiw but no Tatafu Polota- Nau ! Take one hooker out and not replace? Latest EPCR listing - http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/lei ... ?section=3 :smt013
According to the EPCR rules you must have 41 players. Maybe it is just a technical thing considering TPN hasn't played in Europe yet they might have to make a profile for him first? (i don't know though).
The EPCR squad listing for Tigers has now been updated this lunchtime to include Tatafu Polota-Nau
Thank goodness but our injury list & selection is very concerning.
- http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/lei ... ?section=3
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ourla wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 pm Reading MOC's comments in the Merc Tuilagi and Toomua are definitely ready to play. He's just exercising restraint and caution on his prized assets. Kind of understandable. But for me we have to throw the kitchen sink at these next few games. This is our season. Right here, right now.

I'd go with the experience of Tait at full back.
I agree re Tait providing we have some other fit centres!
Soggypitch
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 am
Lammy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:57 am Bateman won't be out for long but unavailable this weekend.

Don't expect to see Rizzo anywhere near a matchday squad- certainly not this weekend.
Intriguing and cryptic comment about Rizzo, who, as a renowned scrummager with much international experience, would be just the sort (I would have thought) to be in a match day squad. Would you care to elaborate please?

Another thing if what you say is true why bother calling him back from loan? Why not just transfer him and use the cash to strengthen other areas of the squad?

It's not supposed to be cryptic. "Just the sort to be in match day squad"- for you and me both, sir. Unfortunately I'm not in charge though. Rizzo would have been one of the first names on my team sheet this weekend. Obviously he's just been recalled as cover hence why he won't be playing this weekend unless there's an injury in the next 48 hours.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Rizzo is our top LH scrummager and the best in the tight. The decision to loan him out leaving guys like Traynor and Baumann round the first XV was just plain dumb imo!
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Scott11 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 pm Rizzo is our top LH scrummager and the best in the tight. The decision to loan him out leaving guys like Traynor and Baumann round the first XV was just plain dumb imo!
Completely agree. Made no sense to me.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

The fact that Bateman can play TH makes it all the more stranger!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Lammy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:15 pm
Scott11 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 pm Rizzo is our top LH scrummager and the best in the tight. The decision to loan him out leaving guys like Traynor and Baumann round the first XV was just plain dumb imo!
Completely agree. Made no sense to me.
Wages? Also hindsight is a wonderful thing.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Lammy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 am
Lammy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:57 am Bateman won't be out for long but unavailable this weekend.

Don't expect to see Rizzo anywhere near a matchday squad- certainly not this weekend.
Intriguing and cryptic comment about Rizzo, who, as a renowned scrummager with much international experience, would be just the sort (I would have thought) to be in a match day squad. Would you care to elaborate please?

Another thing if what you say is true why bother calling him back from loan? Why not just transfer him and use the cash to strengthen other areas of the squad?

It's not supposed to be cryptic. "Just the sort to be in match day squad"- for you and me both, sir. Unfortunately I'm not in charge though. Rizzo would have been one of the first names on my team sheet this weekend. Obviously he's just been recalled as cover hence why he won't be playing this weekend unless there's an injury in the next 48 hours.
Thanks for clarifying, Lammy. Looks like I'm joining you and Scott in the ranks of the bewildered on this.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

As we've been discussing how well (or not) we played 'Sir' at Thomond Park, I think MO'C's comments in the Mercury bear repetition:

"My view is that the laws of the game are the laws of the game. There should be no room for interpretation from any official. Or any need for teams to adapt to the way a game is being refereed in the technical parts of the game.

Not rolling away is not rolling away.

Not releasing the tackled ball carrier is not releasing the tackled ball carrier.

Putting your hands in front of the ball at the breakdown is putting your hands in front of the ball at the breakdown.

They are laws. They can’t be adapted every week by different officials.

Of course, there are certain nuances between the ways certain referees go about their business, but some things are non-negotiable around the breakdown because it is such a crucial part of the game. And both not rolling away and releasing the tackled player are two of the most important non-negotiables."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:23 am As we've been discussing how well (or not) we played 'Sir' at Thomond Park, I think MO'C's comments in the Mercury bear repetition:

"My view is that the laws of the game are the laws of the game. There should be no room for interpretation from any official. Or any need for teams to adapt to the way a game is being refereed in the technical parts of the game.

Not rolling away is not rolling away.

Not releasing the tackled ball carrier is not releasing the tackled ball carrier.

Putting your hands in front of the ball at the breakdown is putting your hands in front of the ball at the breakdown.

They are laws. They can’t be adapted every week by different officials.

Of course, there are certain nuances between the ways certain referees go about their business, but some things are non-negotiable around the breakdown because it is such a crucial part of the game. And both not rolling away and releasing the tackled player are two of the most important non-negotiables."
The way he goes on, you'd think that 'gamesmanship' in rugby was a new phenomenon.

He can bleat about it all he likes, because it isn't going to change. Its about time he realised that if you can't beat them you have to join them. As has oft been said, if Tigers were anywhere near smart enough, they'd be taking the referee out of the equation and he wouldn't have any need to complain.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

All sounds ok if the referee applies the same interpretations to both teams. I have always believed that referees have a difficult job but they should be answerable at the top level. Footage of all top level matches should be studied and in questionable circumstances the ref should have to justify why they penalised something or why they did not. Mistakes will be made but if there are too many or consistently the same errors are made the re-education or downgrading should be the result.