Tigers v Munster

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Munster

Post by Scott11 »

May has played plenty of times at FB,13 too. I think it will be Tait anyway but there you go.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

May strengths and weaknesses are similar to Veainu, i think May is a better tackler but his positioning might be off.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Wells and Worth should play- nothing to lose as looking at all the games at the week,realistically, I have realised Tigers just aren’t good enough to win The Champions Cup this season.However, play Wells( done nothing wrong all season- good tackler- offloads well- wins turnovers and line outs) and Worth can defend well and sometimes offer something different in attack, then we win well so confidence is high and back in with a chance in the group. To me an ideal time to give promising players experience and let’s other players know their place is up for grabs. Give Manu 20 minutes as a
replacement to get some experience. Manu’ defence is always rusty when returning from injury so to start him would be a risk. Get him fit for Sarries.
My Santa wish list: no more injuries to Tigers please!
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

Planet Rugby are reporting that he's been included.

Re team selection I'd play Thacker at 7. I like Hamilton but he was anonymous last weekend and completely overrun at the breakdown. Thacker carries and draws in multiple tacklers which will give us some room out wide or stop Munster flooding the back field with defenders and killing our kicking game. He's got it in him to make lots of tackles and be a pest at the breakdown. Pair him Kalamafoni and Williams.
[/quote]

Hamilton was our only competitive player at the break down left to do everything himself against their 2-3 players which is why they turned so much ball, we need to compete and win the ball there to give Young’s and ford quick go forward ball, which is why I agree with others that we drop mapapalongi to the bench to make an impact from there, which we’ve been lacking, and bring either Fitzgerald to the back row and bring barrow into the row, or Evans who is quicker but lighter weight.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Rizzo
Youngs
Cole
Williams
Barrow
Hamilton
O'Connor
Kalamafoni

Youngs
Ford
Toomua
Tuilagi
Thompstone
May
Tait

Big, powerful forwards with superb backs. I've left the replacements as to be honest, I'm not sure who is available and who is injured.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Meanwhile, Australian international hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau will be available for Leicester Tigers when they bid for revenge against Munster at Welford Road on Sunday. The veteran Wallaby recently signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with Matt O’Connor’s side, who lost 33-10 at Thomond Park last weekend.
Leicester have also added young English lock Joe Maksymiw to their squad, with Jake Kerr and Dan Tuohy subsequently being deregistered.
http://www.the42.ie/champions-cup-playe ... 1-Dec2017/

Based on the above and assuming fitness issues, I would go with:
Rizzo
Polota-Nau
Cole
Barrow
Wells
Hamilton
Fitzgerald
Kalamafoni
Youngs
Ford (C)
May
Toomua
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Papalani

Logo
Youngs
Cilliers
Kitchener
Williams
O'Connor
Harrison
Malouf
Tait

Time for brave and some may say risky selections but this is a must win game and selection should reflect that - I may even be persuaded to go with one less forward on the bench and include JF to add more cover for the centres.
Hehehehehehehehe
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:37 am Meanwhile, Australian international hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau will be available for Leicester Tigers when they bid for revenge against Munster at Welford Road on Sunday. The veteran Wallaby recently signed a two-and-a-half-year deal with Matt O’Connor’s side, who lost 33-10 at Thomond Park last weekend.
Leicester have also added young English lock Joe Maksymiw to their squad, with Jake Kerr and Dan Tuohy subsequently being deregistered.
http://www.the42.ie/champions-cup-playe ... 1-Dec2017/

Based on the above and assuming fitness issues, I would go with:
Rizzo
Polota-Nau
Cole
Barrow
Wells
Hamilton
Fitzgerald
Kalamafoni
Youngs
Ford (C)
May
Toomua
Tuilagi
Thompstone
Papalani

Logo
Youngs
Cilliers
Kitchener
Williams
O'Connor
Harrison
Malouf
Tait

Time for brave and some may say risky selections but this is a must win game and selection should reflect that - I may even be persuaded to go with one less forward on the bench and include JF to add more cover for the centres.
+1 we can’t die wondering
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Stephen18 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:21 pm Planet Rugby are reporting that he's been included.

Re team selection I'd play Thacker at 7. I like Hamilton but he was anonymous last weekend and completely overrun at the breakdown. Thacker carries and draws in multiple tacklers which will give us some room out wide or stop Munster flooding the back field with defenders and killing our kicking game. He's got it in him to make lots of tackles and be a pest at the breakdown. Pair him Kalamafoni and Williams.

Hamilton was our only competitive player at the break down left to do everything himself against their 2-3 players which is why they turned so much ball, we need to compete and win the ball there to give Young’s and ford quick go forward ball, which is why I agree with others that we drop mapapalongi to the bench to make an impact from there, which we’ve been lacking, and bring either Fitzgerald to the back row and bring barrow into the row, or Evans who is quicker but lighter weight.
[/quote]

We had no competitive players at the breakdown. Cole is the only player I remember winning a penalty turnover. Agree that we need to change the blindside as Mapapalangi I'd more suited for impact in games like these.

Fitzgerald I don't rate. He should be dropped. Our scrum and rolling maul substantially improved when Barrow replaced him and for my money Wells has been in better form this season.

I'd have Evans at 7, I rate him very highly, but as you day he's a little lightweight for this encounter at the moment. Thacker brings that extra physicality but still the terrier at the breakdown. The fact he's a good link man in attack and offers our forwards a different ball carrying option which will draw in defenders and usually get us moving forward.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Papalani was injured with Tonga according to MOC, out for a few weeks. I know unbelievable.....not!

So 15 is really between Tait (that will depend who is available at centre eg Manu, Toomua, Owen), May or Worth.

I would reiterate we need our biggest meanest pack for this one. Wells, Barrow, Williams should all be starting, also the Aussie hooker.
Soggypitch
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tigers recruitment last summer was very questionable and left them with the likes of Traynor, Baumann and Joe Ford who are all Championship level players who should not have been anywhere near a game of the magnitude v Munster.

The worrying fact is the midfield defence doesn't work if Toomua is injured and Tait is not an able deputy despite what people may think. Tigers have some good young development centres who would have offered more and it's too much to hope we'll see any of them at the weekend.

The lack of any nuggety, horrible sods outside of the front row should pain us as Tigers fans. The Munster backrow were sensational at pushing to the limits of the ref at every breakdown. The lack of a natural openside and insistence on playing three 8's left Tigers out manoeuvred and gave them no workable ball from which they could run the undersized backline. Garces interpretation of the breakdown was very dodgy but one side was bright enough to exploit that and the other wasn't.

Let us just hope there is an alternative for WR. The period of time in which Tigers had Logo and Cole propping Tigers won some scrum penalties. When Cole went off Tigers went backwards. If Tigers can replace the two 5th choice options they might be able to put some pressure on up front and actually tire out those Munster backrow boys so they aren't all over the breakdown like a rash again.

Hopefully Worth will get the nod at 12 to give Tigers someone who can pass, kick and tackle as opposed to Tait.

TV is out with a broken jaw so they're going to have to rejig the backline anyway.

If Peter O'Mahoney doesn't leave WR with a sizeable contract offer from us in his back pocket next weekend I will be very annoyed. He'll probably leave with at least four points (because on the evidence of last weekend and with Tigers expecting no injured players back, Munster are light years ahead) as well but Tigers desperately need some niggle somewhere between 4 and 8.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Bateman won't be out for long but unavailable this weekend.

Don't expect to see Rizzo anywhere near a matchday squad- certainly not this weekend.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Lammy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:57 am Bateman won't be out for long but unavailable this weekend.

Don't expect to see Rizzo anywhere near a matchday squad- certainly not this weekend.
Intriguing and cryptic comment about Rizzo, who, as a renowned scrummager with much international experience, would be just the sort (I would have thought) to be in a match day squad. Would you care to elaborate please?

Another thing if what you say is true why bother calling him back from loan? Why not just transfer him and use the cash to strengthen other areas of the squad?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Reading MOC's comments in the Merc Tuilagi and Toomua are definitely ready to play. He's just exercising restraint and caution on his prized assets. Kind of understandable. But for me we have to throw the kitchen sink at these next few games. This is our season. Right here, right now.

I'd go with the experience of Tait at full back.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:00 pm
But for me we have to throw the kitchen sink at these next few games. This is our season. Right here, right now.
Do the next few matches define Tigers' season?

For me yes, but it goes further than that, it could define the team for seasons to come.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I think our future was decided when the board bottled it and stayed "in house" with the MOC appointment!