Brendon O'connor

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SirGordonRamsey

Brendon O'connor

Post by SirGordonRamsey »

Anyone got any idea why BOC is out of favour?

He's been a favourite of mine since his signing and has always been a good performer. I understand theres alot of GOOD competition, but early season we had Dom Ryan starting over him...
Egg Chasers Rugby Podcast: 'Tigers Jeresy, its like getting into an E Type Jag'
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Brendon O'connor

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I think he has been injured for a few months.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think he is very prone to HIA and concussion.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I'm not sure if he's out of favour or being slowly rotated back in after injury.

To be honest, I hope we do the same thing with Manu and rotate him back in with game time from the bench rather than in from the start. We've done well enough without him so it's not like we need to rush these players back.

Let's be honest, Sarries (as much as I hate to admit it) are the best club at the moment for rotating their squad, keeping players fresh and keeping the big names happy in the process. Not every player can start every week and rotation and rest periods should be factored in - it is, after all, a long old season!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 pm I'm not sure if he's out of favour or being slowly rotated back in after injury.

To be honest, I hope we do the same thing with Manu and rotate him back in with game time from the bench rather than in from the start. We've done well enough without him so it's not like we need to rush these players back.

Let's be honest, Sarries (as much as I hate to admit it) are the best club at the moment for rotating their squad, keeping players fresh and keeping the big names happy in the process. Not every player can start every week and rotation and rest periods should be factored in - it is, after all, a long old season!
Agree with you totally but I fear some on here would feel the world is ending if we were to rotate and lose a game or two :smt003
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:09 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:45 pm I'm not sure if he's out of favour or being slowly rotated back in after injury.

Agree with you totally but I fear some on here would feel the world is ending if we were to rotate and lose a game or two :smt003
With respect, Tigers simply do not have the quality in strength in depth that the likes of Saracens have. Saracens lose very little by rotating a squad, for Tigers it can be the difference between winning and losing to a potentially weaker team - and anyone who doesn't think every game is vital is deluding themselves.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Roly that is jsut far too short termist - Saracens' players often didn't start as super stars, sure they've signed a lot but guys who make up a lot fot he "bed rock" of that team aren't big names like Burger/Farrell etc but more guys like Wiles and Ellery who can do a very servicable job but certainly aren't a gulf ahead of anyone we have in the squad. They become better players by playing at the standard in return they're a higher quality when required to start (but also not at the expense of having top class players for the business end of the season).

Even looking at our own history our ability to rotate players in the 2006/07 (i think) season where we were a game off the treble we were able to maintain a high level of performance by rotating - keeping key players fresh and using that chance to give experience to players who were therefore better prepared to fill the gap when required.

This season compared to the last few we look much better prepared - this weekend just gone we were missing arguably our 2 best players to injury on top of 4 England internationals, a Scotland international and host of other potential starters for a reason - and we got a bonus point win. To say we don't have the quality is disingenuous - we haven't in the past, but continue to rotate with the current/an improved squad and we might do in the future.
SirGordonRamsey

BOC playing A League this eve = Out of favour
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

SirGordonRamsey wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:43 pm BOC playing A League this eve = Out of favour
Or much like Brady is coming back from injury and there is currently cover, so unlike many and Toomua doesn’t need to be thrown straight into the starting line up. As has been mentioned his does pick up a lot of injuries.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

O'Connor has had a niggling groin injury for some time (mentioned by MOC in an interview a few weeks ago - sorry I don't have any link, in fact it may have been in a Radio Leicester interview) which is being "managed" and so his game time has been limited as a result. It was implied that he can't play consecutive games. I'm assuming either that he was being given game time to keep his fitness topped up or that the injury is showing signs of clearing up and that he is being readied for a return to the 1st team squad. I have no concrete evidence for either of these assumptions.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Tiger93

Post by Tiger93 »

The breakdown rules and general direction Rugby is taking are pushing players like O'Connor out.
SirGordonRamsey

Tiger93 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 am The breakdown rules and general direction Rugby is taking are pushing players like O'Connor out.
Agreed, I am aware he was injured early in the season but hes played for the first team recent benching whilst Will Evans starts.

As you say Tiger93 with the meta of the game changing it would sugest his play style is out of favour.

He's still a class operator and I fear lack of game time will push him out, someone like Exeter will pick him up and we'll rue the day he left.
maroontrunks
Tiger Cub

Post by maroontrunks »

Don't really agree with the idea that his style of play is somehow out of favour. He's a player that's consistently underrated by Tigers fans, I think because his intelligent style of play isn't as flash as some more well known back row players. His (and others) bad luck with injuries has meant that in general, Tigers hasn't had a consistent approach to back row play but I think he should be in the mix if he can get back to fitness as he has that breakdown nous that we completely lacked against Munster. BOC has great stats for turnovers and is also a highly effective link player. I don't think these needs are really going out of the game and the Irish teams clearly continue to place a big emphasis on them. That said, it all needs to be part of a balanced pack and our lack of grunt in the second row is clearly having a big effect on the composition of the back row. I'd like to see O'Connor with Hamilton or Mapa at 6 and Kalamafoni at 8 and see if we can get the right balance between carrying, tackling, clearouts and turnovers.
SirGordonRamsey

maroontrunks wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:52 pm Don't really agree with the idea that his style of play is somehow out of favour. He's a player that's consistently underrated by Tigers fans, I think because his intelligent style of play isn't as flash as some more well known back row players. His (and others) bad luck with injuries has meant that in general, Tigers hasn't had a consistent approach to back row play but I think he should be in the mix if he can get back to fitness as he has that breakdown nous that we completely lacked against Munster. BOC has great stats for turnovers and is also a highly effective link player. I don't think these needs are really going out of the game and the Irish teams clearly continue to place a big emphasis on them. That said, it all needs to be part of a balanced pack and our lack of grunt in the second row is clearly having a big effect on the composition of the back row. I'd like to see O'Connor with Hamilton or Mapa at 6 and Kalamafoni at 8 and see if we can get the right balance between carrying, tackling, clearouts and turnovers.
I agree with alot of this. I dont think you can back up your point about tigers fans underrating him.

All of the Irish teams operate with a heavier back row, like MOC is trying to play with now.

What other flashy back row players? Especially at Tigers...

I do like your idea about having him with Hamilton or and Sione. Drop kitchener and move Williams to 4.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I think Will Evans has been criminally underused too. You read a lot of nonsense about him being underpowered but no matter who he plays against he always averages about 15 tackles,2 turnovers and averages 5m on the carry,its our pathetic front 5 carrying stats that are making us play an unbalanced back row!