Matt O'Connor

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Matt O'Connor

Post by fortysix »

I feel MOC deserves some rich praise for the way he has revitalised a very tired Club.

With absolutely no disrespect to RC and Aaron, the Tigers last year were a shadow of former teams..

After todays beating of a top Sale side-------with us missing a number of stars-- this really shows the resurgence, the depth, and the quality of the squad.

And no one mentions Manu.

If he comes back fit and firing on all 12 cylinders, then we will fear no one-----------but we do need back up top quality props and an enforcer at 4
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt O'Connor

Post by fentiger »

+1, I really wasn't sure he'd do a job, but as the weeks pass I am more pleasantly surprised. :smt023
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

And all the noises coming out of the squad especially those re-signing seem very positive.

Prop wise we have 5 who can compete at a decent level Genge, Cole, Bateman Cilliers and when fit Logo.

I think Fitzgerald given a run at 4 could do the enforcer role and would like to see him and Wells given a run
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Agreed - was underwhelmed but open minded. We seem to have some of our mojo back.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Matt is pure class. On the prop front we need to get rid of the like of Logo who is forever injured. We need our back up to be more robust. Ellis and Dan are first choice by a million miles but we need replacements like Bateman. A true clubman back up. Versatile and trustworthy.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Bateman is a gem.. couple more like him please.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Well done MOC,very happy to be proved wrong!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I admit that I had a few doubts about him, especially regarding using the bench and bringing through young players, something that didn't happen much in his previous stint. He has done a good job this season and the bench and you players are being used.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:06 am I admit that I had a few doubts about him, especially regarding using the bench and bringing through young players, something that didn't happen much in his previous stint. He has done a good job this season and the bench and you players are being used.
My sentiments entirely. I am pleased with our renaissance, long may it continue. The role of Brett, AA and Bozza should not be underestimated. I was talking to some Welsh fans at the weekend as we watched the internationals in the bar of a hotel where I attended a wedding (sorry Mrs G); their take on it was Cockers needed revitalising (they had various suggestions as head coach including Townsend) but AM was an awful choice as it turned out and weakened the Tigers identity.
I was worried about MOC's return but he has seemingly eliminated his faults (use of subs, academy, public pottymouth) and turned two of those to the good....possibly necessity according to LLTC of this forum.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I attach not one iota of blame to AM for our demise,not one little bit! It was nice to actually see a player smile once Cockers left and AM was slowly turning it around so who knows. Very easy copout blaming Mauger!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

fortysix wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm And no one mentions Manu.

If he comes back fit and firing on all 12 cylinders, then we will fear no one
Disagree.

One man does not make a team and it was the reliance on one player, structuring the team around that one player and the fixation on stop-gap replacements for that player that was one of the reasons RC was shown the door.

Tuilagi is not the saviour of the team.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

As much as I am loving the positivity we've a way to go yet.

As a club we quite rightly see being "in the mix" as a minimum. One of the big two trophies is the target. It's been a while as regards the Prem and a very long time for Europe.

Agree though the coaching set up, team balance, development of players seems to be all be going in the right direction at last.
Happydays

Post by Happydays »

I think that Matt Toomua is so important to us. We need him back. Come on Matt..... we want to see your silky skills again.
BigChris

Post by BigChris »

Roly wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:21 am
fortysix wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:41 pm And no one mentions Manu.

If he comes back fit and firing on all 12 cylinders, then we will fear no one
Disagree.

One man does not make a team and it was the reliance on one player, structuring the team around that one player and the fixation on stop-gap replacements for that player that was one of the reasons RC was shown the door.

Tuilagi is not the saviour of the team.
I think you horribly misquoted the op here Roly (quelle surprise).
The sentiments were that Manu would be the cherry on the icing on the cake...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tomvarndell wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 pm Matt is pure class. On the prop front we need to get rid of the like of Logo who is forever injured. We need our back up to be more robust. Ellis and Dan are first choice by a million miles but we need replacements like Bateman. A true clubman back up. Versatile and trustworthy.
I think Worcester's Nick Schonert could be a good signing for us. As for Logo, BBC Radio Leic said that he needs to improve his scrummaging technique so he can no longer rely on his bulk so he can bulk down and not put so much strain on his legs carrying a lot of bulk around
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni