Re: Croft retires

Post by Knightonian »

Goodbye to one of my favourites

At his peak he was without a doubt World Class
DCATsOLDMAN

Post by DCATsOLDMAN »

Farewell Tom.
I hope that your injuries do not cause difficulties in later life.
Enjoy your retirement!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Don't post on here much any more but I have to say how gutted I am at this news. Crofty was a wonderful player for Tigers, England and the Lions and in many ways was a bit of a template for the modern, pacy, athletic back/ second row that we see everywhere nowadays.

Says a lot that I honestly can't remember him ever having a bad game when I saw him play. He is absolutely a club legend in my eyes because I have no doubt he'll be still revered in 10, 15, 20 years time and surely the idea of a legend is that is someone or something that is remembered for a long time.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

A great player and Tiger, and a jolly nice chap too. Good luck Tom in whatever the future brings you.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Yes great player at his peak!
A unique ability to contribute up front to an extremely high level whilst possessing the finishing skills to directly affect putting points on the board!
Sad when any player doesn't get to finish playing on the pitch!
Crumbie Deeks

Post by Crumbie Deeks »

Tear in my eye and a lump in my throat. Wonderfully gifted player and a lovely bloke when you met him off the pitch.
Good luck Tom, enjoy your retirement. :smt041
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Great player and a nice guy. I had the pleasure of spending some time talking to him when the Tigers were having a pre-season game away against Jersey, he had a neck injury then. Going to miss his galloping runs down the outside channel and that extraordinary gift he had securing line out ball.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I don't know what his plans are (apart from coffee and donuts!) and I know great players rarely make great coaches - but I'd love to think there's a great line-out coach there somewhere. Having said that, he must have had significant input over the last couple of seasons soooo...........
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Simon Cohen did say that he is always welcome at Welford Road. Whether that is to run a matchday coffee stand or help as the Lineout coach, God only knows.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Definitely can see Mafi coming in sooner rather than later. Surely not a coincidence that the story surfaces about speaking to Mafi, around the same time Croft retires. Like for like. The comment about Mafi not settling at Castres makes me think it'll be this season, not in the summer. Bring on the Tigers Tongan mafia.

Back on topic, Croft was a truly fantastic player to watch, such athleticism and deftness of handling skills, a genuine threat in open field as well as the lineout, injuries denied him more success than he actually got. Top Tiger.

Incidentally, can't see this having any baring on Polota-Nau's signing.
Last edited by FrontRowUnionMember on Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

Top bloke and a great player. Wish him all the best, hopefully stays involved with the club in some capacity!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

JP14 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:10 pm Simon Cohen did say that he is always welcome at Welford Road. Whether that is to run a matchday coffee stand or help as the Lineout coach, God only knows.
Lineout coach wouldn't go amiss?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Sad day but we knew it was coming. Thanks Tom for many wonderful rugby moments for me it was those two tries in Durban for the Lions in 2009 when we were sitting behind the posts where you scored.
Many thanks and best wishes for the next chapter in your career.
Jez

Only Winners Win!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

wasn't just awesome in his pomp? simply awesome. Those you tube links just brought it all back
and yes, I agree. A legend for Tigers, England and the Lions.

I'll miss him - but hope to still see him at the coffee bar!

good luck in whatever you do in the future, Tom
Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Croft Retires

Post by Roly »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:05 pm
Roly wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:41 pm Good luck to him and all, but how is this guy a 'Tigers legend'?

He was a very good player for the club (and some might say should have featured more for England) when he was fit - but 'A legend'?

Really?
Yes really. I think you might find yourself in a very small group if you don't afford him that accolade. How else would you describe someone who in addition to his loyal service at Tigers has the number of England and Lions caps he has, has played the way he has played the game, had his lineout abilities and scored the memorable tries he has. I echo all the sentiments expressed by others who have posted with the exception of your posts in this thread.

Good luck Crofty whatever you decide to do next and thanks for the memories!
Bradley says thanks.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.