Croft retires

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Croft Retires

Post by kpj tiger »

A club legend retires, thanks for all the memories Crofty!

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/cr ... retirement
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Croft Retires

Post by ads »

:censored:! Thanks Tom, you've been great.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Can anyone actually remember the last time he even played professional rugby?
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

A fully fit and in form Crofty was a sight to behold. He will rightly be remembered as a great player for Tigers and England.

But as Roly says I can't remember the last time he played regular rugby for Tigers, so although in one way he will be missed, in another he won't at all....

Will this free some salary cap? Maybe it's been spent on the Aussie hooker? Would still like to see another quality centre.
Soggypitch
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Roly wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:44 pm Can anyone actually remember the last time he even played professional rugby?

Anyway, on point, thanks to Crofty for some awesome memories in a Tigers, England and Lions shirts. That try v Quins in the semi-final remains one of my favourite ever, then there was his gallop round Rougerie against France in 2012 and his perfomance in the first test against SA in 2009. A Tigers icon, and I suspect he will still have a big future in the game one way or another.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:49 pm A fully fit and in form Crofty was a sight to behold. He will rightly be remembered as a great player for Tigers and England.

But as Roly says I can't remember the last time he played regular rugby for Tigers, so although in one way he will be missed, in another he won't at all....

Will this free some salary cap? Maybe it's been spent on the Aussie hooker? Would still like to see another quality centre.
I guess this explains the interest expressed by MOC in Steve Mafi. Direct replacement, one assumes.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It's such as shame for Croft and indeed for Tigers. I'm glad we stood by him though and gave him every opportunity to get fit again. Here's to a another life for a great Tiger.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

A great servant to the club who will be remembered fondly, but has played no great part for the past couple of seasons. Life moves on maybe a chain of 96 coffee shops.

Castro’s 1 man lifts at the front of the line out a particular favourite :smt026

Re Roly the ignore list is a great tool :smt023
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

That try scored carrying the ball from halfway while out in the centres, those majestic leaps, that nous, the commitment, and of course a nice guy too. Sure it’s been obvious he’s on the way out for some while but when you have those qualities available you give them every chance. I wondered about a role as a coach but there’s no mention of that, not even of the line-out, which ain’t fixed yet.

Good luck Tom and family, hope to see you around the place for some while to come.
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

You-tube the try against Quins in the play off semi a few seasons back. Absolutely blistering pace and incredible finish. In his pomp an absolute pleasure to watch.
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Soggypitch wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:49 pm A fully fit and in form Crofty was a sight to behold. He will rightly be remembered as a great player for Tigers and England.

I suppose if nothing else, it'll see an end to people selecting him in their team to play (whoever) 'if he's fit'....
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Grimlish wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:11 pm That try scored carrying the ball from halfway while out in the centres, those majestic leaps, that nous, the commitment, and of course a nice guy too. Sure it’s been obvious he’s on the way out for some while but when you have those qualities available you give them every chance. I wondered about a role as a coach but there’s no mention of that, not even of the line-out, which ain’t fixed yet.

Good luck Tom and family, hope to see you around the place for some while to come.
Re coaching the old adage that the best players don’t make the best coaches, look at Neil Back for instance. You can’t coach the X factor these players have
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Rated Croft highly in his day, but that's just it isn't it, 'in his day' - he hasn't been playing seriously for several seasons, so 'what might have been' is actually more appropriate than 'what he did', which actually, wasn't for that long relatively speaking.

Were Tigers right to stick by him? Probably, but it must have reached the point where, from a club's financial point of view, his retirement came as a relief.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

A tigers legend.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Good luck to him and all, but how is this guy a 'Tigers legend'?

He was a very good player for the club (and some might say should have featured more for England) when he was fit - but 'A legend'?

Really?