Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Bath vs Tigers

Post by ourla »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:23 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 pm I hope BFG is not serious about retiring from the forum, I don't agree with his opinion of Harry Thacker and a few other subjects but I do agree with much of what he says. Whether I agree or not he always explains his thinking and I think this forum will be poorer if he is not contributing to it, even if what he says is wrong!
Unfortunately I think that BFG is not alone in feeling this way, there are too many people who aren’t able to draw a distinction between debating and mud slinging
You see that exclamation mark just above the post next to the quotation mark. Anything you think is beyond the pale just hit that button.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Hope I haven't upset you BFG! Ive got a horrible habit of engaging my fingers before my brain when I don't agree with something and you must believe,like I always comment on the rugby player not the person,I'm commenting on your post not you! Whether we disagree or not you always make a great case for your arguments. Please stay! 😉
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 am Hope I haven't upset you BFG! Ive got a horrible habit of engaging my fingers before my brain when I don't agree with something and you must believe,like I always comment on the rugby player not the person,I'm commenting on your post not you! Whether we disagree or not you always make a great case for your arguments. Please stay! 😉
Creep :smt003 :smt002 :smt001
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 am
Scott11 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:46 am Hope I haven't upset you BFG! Ive got a horrible habit of engaging my fingers before my brain when I don't agree with something and you must believe,like I always comment on the rugby player not the person,I'm commenting on your post not you! Whether we disagree or not you always make a great case for your arguments. Please stay! 😉
Creep :smt003 :smt002 :smt001
Upset, me, very rarely, and not over something so trivial!
It's only a game, much more important things in life to worry about!
Keep firing away!
Just don't bore me, I can get that at Allianz Park!
Or sky commentary! :smt004
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I heard a bad story the other day from a fellow Tigers fan about AP which involved an open top bus, football fans and a knife! Shocking for a rugby match.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 pm I heard a bad story the other day from a fellow Tigers fan about AP which involved an open top bus, football fans and a knife! Shocking for a rugby match.
:smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

A friend of mine is a regular travelling supporter and got a ticket on the open top bus at Allianz park. Not for the first time he said there were a lot of football fans,he was told in no uncertain terms to get the eff off the top deck and sit down stairs and when refused was threatened with a knife,stewards just watched! This is a guy who has done Ireland, Scotland,France and further afield with England but said this is the only ground along with surprisingly Kingston Park where he has been in fear of his safety.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

TheRock wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:05 pm
Scott11 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:37 pm So Burns has gone from an international and AP and RCC virtual ever present to an AWC level player lol? Nothing to do with his injury or ban? Nonsense again. Players don't half get forgotten about quickly when they dare leave WR!
He's certainly better than just an AWC player but he isn't anywhere near as good as many on here were making him out last season and definitely not on the same level as Ford
And yet, the Burns/Ford swap was largely seen as a huge mistake at the time.

However, if you had an opinion at the time that differed from the majority, you were accused of trolling or knowing little about the game.

I must admit, I'm still not wholly convinced by Ford - when he's good he's very good, but when he's bad - well.... lets just say his performances still lack consistency. I'd have him over Freddie though (as things stand).
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Scott11 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:50 pm A friend of mine is a regular travelling supporter and got a ticket on the open top bus at Allianz park. Not for the first time he said there were a lot of football fans,he was told in no uncertain terms to get the eff off the top deck and sit down stairs and when refused was threatened with a knife,stewards just watched! This is a guy who has done Ireland, Scotland,France and further afield with England but said this is the only ground along with surprisingly Kingston Park where he has been in fear of his safety.
Threatened with a knife? Really?

I do find it hard to believe.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 am
Scott11 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:50 pm A friend of mine is a regular travelling supporter and got a ticket on the open top bus at Allianz park. Not for the first time he said there were a lot of football fans,he was told in no uncertain terms to get the eff off the top deck and sit down stairs and when refused was threatened with a knife,stewards just watched! This is a guy who has done Ireland, Scotland,France and further afield with England but said this is the only ground along with surprisingly Kingston Park where he has been in fear of his safety.
Threatened with a knife? Really?

I do find it hard to believe.
I too find it hard to believe, but it's deep within culture presently, and not just youth.
A situation like that as hard as it may be to stomach at the time requires deflating.
Stewards are often better advised to allow the situation to diffuse itself if possible and direct the relevant emergency service to deal with the problem.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 am
Scott11 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:37 pm So Burns has gone from an international and AP and RCC virtual ever present to an AWC level player lol? Nothing to do with his injury or ban? Nonsense again. Players don't half get forgotten about quickly when they dare leave WR!
He's certainly better than just an AWC player but he isn't anywhere near as good as many on here were making him out last season and definitely not on the same level as Ford

However, if you had an opinion at the time that differed from the majority, you were accused of trolling or knowing little about the game.

I must admit, I'm still not wholly convinced by Ford - when he's good he's very good, but when he's bad - well.... lets just say his performances still lack consistency. I'd have him over Freddie though (as things stand).
I had doubts about the Burns/G Ford swap, not because I think they are equal because they are obviously not, but because I had doubts about the constant merry-go-round with players walking away when they don't get their own way, and also the available cash for other players.
As it is I think credit has to be given where it's due, those concerned pulled off quite a deal as it's possible Joe Ford could also be potentially better than Burns, and the young lad behind will have every chance to learn off some stable quality.
Burns has got serious talent and he could still do very well for Bath, but not until he learns that he is also surrounded by better talent than he is and becomes more of a team player.
At 27 years old you'd think the penny might've dropped by now!
Cipriani would have 50 England caps by now had it dropped for him sooner!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:55 am
Roly wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:38 am

I had doubts about the Burns/G Ford swap, not because I think they are equal because they are obviously not, but because I had doubts about the constant merry-go-round with players walking away when they don't get their own way, and also the available cash for other players.
As it is I think credit has to be given where it's due, those concerned pulled off quite a deal as it's possible Joe Ford could also be potentially better than Burns, and the young lad behind will have every chance to learn off some stable quality.
Burns has got serious talent and he could still do very well for Bath, but not until he learns that he is also surrounded by better talent than he is and becomes more of a team player.
At 27 years old you'd think the penny might've dropped by now!
Cipriani would have 50 England caps by now had it dropped for him sooner!
Well, Cipriani has knuckled down with the Saxons when he's been available hasn't he. I think Cipriani is still a mercurial player, more so than Burns. Wasps seem much more dangerous with Cipriani at 10 - opposition don't know what he's going to do next and Wasps have the players to exploit it. With Gopperth at the helm, Wasps are more predictable.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Burns is an extremely talented player who was great in attack and good in the end from the tee. However, I always thought fly half was his wrong position as his game management was non-existant.

George and Joe Ford both excel in this area and it’s what Tigers need at the moment, not a 50/50 player. Joe reminds me a bit of Staunton in an able player who is better than most give him credit for and is a more than able deputy to step in. His on the gain line flat passing will prove invaluable with George being away.
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Why find it hard to believe? My mate wouldn't lie to me.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Scott11 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:06 pm Why find it hard to believe? My mate wouldn't lie to me.
We don't know you or your mate. And frankly while your mate not lie, he might like a good story or be prone to embellishment.

The other thing that puzzled me was how you just sprung the story out the blue in an unrelated thread.