Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TheRock

Re: Bath vs Tigers

Post by TheRock »

BFG wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm
TheRock wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Don't get too overexcited, you do know they won at WR recently, and despite the hype that was Bath 2nds and 3rds!
Their 1sts often include Thomas, Catt, Knight, Palma-Newport, Obano, Lahiff, Batty, Dunn, Attwood, Ewells, Charteris, Louw, Underhill, Faletau, Fotuali'i, Priestland, Tapuai, Joseph, Rokodoguni and Watson!
But if you think that Sir did a good job then that is fine! :smt003
Yes there 2nds and 3rds against our academy
Oooh I think several Leicester players on shift tonight might be a bit insulted by that!
It was a very good effort, the pressure told where it matters in the end, can't blame the boys who finished IMO, the starters had it better with Touhy scrummaging, but it was far from being Bath's 1sts and it was also far from being the Leicester 1sts!
If you honestly think those two teams were of similar strength in terms of where each player stands in each squad then I give up.
The fact that they were bringing on an England squad member and a guy who had played in every first team game this season whilst we were bringing on a 17 year old just about sums it up.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ourla wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:53 pm Please can we not have a go at the ref. He and his team did a good job IMV. The odd error here and there but nothing game changing and they need the experience aswell. As we were bringing on more teenagers Bath were shipping on experience to save their faces. A try at the end was inevitable. Unfortunately for Bath that was as a big a moral victory for Tigers as you're ever likely to see. On that evidence Bath will be waiting several more years before picking up a trophy whilst for the Tigers the future is looking very bright.
Don't get too overexcited, you do know they won at WR recently, and despite the hype that was Bath 2nds and 3rds!
Their 1sts often include Thomas, Catt, Knight, Palma-Newport, Obano, Lahiff, Batty, Dunn, Attwood, Ewells, Charteris, Louw, Underhill, Faletau, Fotuali'i, Priestland, Tapuai, Joseph, Rokodoguni and Watson!
Err, I am not getting overexcited and yes I am aware it wasn't Bath's first team. However, when you are bringing on the likes of Mercer and Stooke, playing your experienced front row for 80 whilst we are bringing on the likes of Owen Hills and Harry Mahoney, I think I'm fully justified in saying getting a win for was face saving for Bath.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Comment from Bath unoffy:
Well we won playing pretty badly against a predominantly Academy Leicester side. I suppose we should be happy but if we had lost with the experience and greater strength and weight, we should be castigated.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

And another:
Big concern was the ease with which Tigers scored simple tries from offloads - they ran through the middle of us so many times. It wasn't as if our backline lacked experience!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

ourla wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:53 pm Please can we not have a go at the ref. He and his team did a good job IMV. The odd error here and there but nothing game changing and they need the experience aswell. As we were bringing on more teenagers Bath were shipping on experience to save their faces. A try at the end was inevitable. Unfortunately for Bath that was as a big a moral victory for Tigers as you're ever likely to see. On that evidence Bath will be waiting several more years before picking up a trophy whilst for the Tigers the future is looking very bright.
Yes I feel the young Tigers put on a brilliant performance against a Bath team that has 690+ appearances for Bath and there are 3 players with no playing stats. either - So a great performance, let us hope we can keep some of them for the future. Yes Fred Tuilagi had a good game and I feel was hard done by for a high tackle on Burns more like a collision but it took play to our end unfortunately.
I did not like the afters with Burns v Harry Thacker after he scored either. Well done Tigers. :smt038
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TheRock wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 pm
TheRock wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:14 pm
Yes there 2nds and 3rds against our academy
Oooh I think several Leicester players on shift tonight might be a bit insulted by that!
It was a very good effort, the pressure told where it matters in the end, can't blame the boys who finished IMO, the starters had it better with Touhy scrummaging, but it was far from being Bath's 1sts and it was also far from being the Leicester 1sts!
If you honestly think those two teams were of similar strength in terms of where each player stands in each squad then I give up.
The fact that they were bringing on an England squad member and a guy who had played in every first team game this season whilst we were bringing on a 17 year old just about sums it up.
I did not say that I think the two teams were of similar strength, where have you had that from?
What a massive overreaction!!
You telling me that you know where those Bath players tonight stand in their squad, you on terms with their coach!
Like Leicester currently they have an entire team of top class players missing!
It was an average game and an average performance, a valiant effort by some less experienced Leicester players, not a classy performance overall but very plucky!
I thought Holmes looked classy though!
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

BFG wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:17 am

I did not say that I think the two teams were of similar strength, where have you had that from?
You telling me that you know where those Bath players tonight stand in their squad, you on terms with their coach!
It was an average game and an average performance, a valiant effort by some less experienced Leicester players, not a classy performance overall but very plucky!
What you did say was not be overexcited. I was simply justifying people's excitement about the result and performance by outlining the relative strength of the two teams.
As far as knowing the Bath coach goes, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to work out that Freddie Burns is far closer to the bath first team than Tom Hardwick is to the Leicester first team. Or that Max Clark and Matt Banahan are closer to the first team than C Thacker and Olowefela. Or that Matt Garvey there club captain is more likely to feature in the prem than Sam Lewis.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Let's be honest Bath got away with crossing and a dubious pass in the breakout that ultimately led to Burns try, the yellow card was given against a player who was being pulled down by a Bath player and at the last scrum the boring in was so obvious that even the referee allowed himself to be conned. Very poor performance by the officials
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TheRock wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 am

What you did say was not be overexcited. I was simply justifying people's excitement about the result and performance by outlining the relative strength of the two teams.
As far as knowing the Bath coach goes, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to work out that Freddie Burns is far closer to the bath first team than Tom Hardwick is to the Leicester first team. Or that Max Clark and Matt Banahan are closer to the first team than C Thacker and Olowefela. Or that Matt Garvey there club captain is more likely to feature in the prem than Sam Lewis.
I never said that the sides were of similar strength did I, show me where I ever did, so I don't really know why you are carrying on at me other than to try and justify misquoting me!
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

BFG wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:00 am

Yes don't get overexcited, they did win at WR recently!
But I never said that the sides were of similar strength did I, show me where I ever did, so I don't really know why you are carrying on!
What's winning at Welford road got to do with being excited. If we beat Northampton later in the season are we not allowed to be excited because they beat us earlier season.

No you didn't say they were of similar strength what you did say was not to be overexcited.

Now I would have thought a much weaker tigers side running a much stronger bath side close at the rec would be something to be excited about.
Therefore I assumed you're lack of excitement was as you didn't believe there was a difference in strength between the teams. Evidently my assumption was wrong.

Which means if you're now saying you do agree there was a difference in the strengths of the two teams. Do you not find it exciting that a far weaker tigers team full of academy players can run a far stronger bath team so close at the rec
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

TheRock wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 am
BFG wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:00 am

Yes don't get overexcited, they did win at WR recently!
But I never said that the sides were of similar strength did I, show me where I ever did, so I don't really know why you are carrying on!
What's winning at Welford road got to do with being excited. If we beat Northampton later in the season are we not allowed to be excited because they beat us earlier season.

No you didn't say they were of similar strength what you did say was not to be overexcited.

Now I would have thought a much weaker tigers side running a much stronger bath side close at the rec would be something to be excited about.
Therefore I assumed you're lack of excitement was as you didn't believe there was a difference in strength between the teams. Evidently my assumption was wrong.

Which means if you're now saying you do agree there was a difference in the strengths of the two teams. Do you not find it exciting that a far weaker tigers team full of academy players can run a far stronger bath team so close at the rec

You don't want to be making assumptions, unfortunately you have lost my meaning in translation and have been wrong, wrong and wrong again!
What I wrote about getting overexcited was in fact in response to ourla stating that quote "on that evidence Bath will be waiting several more years for a trophy".
I wrote quote "don't get too overexcited, you do know Bath won at WR recently, and despite the hype that was Bath 2nds and 3rds" end of.
It was reference to Bath but still feel free to tell me what I mean I am saying.
I think you'll also find somewhere that I stated that Leicester were less experienced.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well they put up a good performance, better than expected really. However I can't help thinking they threw that game away by stupidly kicking away possesion. The one just before half time in particular when there was less than a minute on the clock and ended up with a Burns try was dull.

And for crying out loud can we sort out the restarts, Tigers have generally been poor at that and the kick chase year after year now, no matter who we put out. Gift too much possession away easily and end up defending too much.

I also felt the intensity and line speed dropped in the second half, which was surprising since they were the younger team.

Best of the lot was Holmes for me, he's looking good and should get a start in the AP soon, also Hardwick and Simmonds look promising. As usual Harry Thacker was everywhere.

Not sure why we signed Baumann though, supposed to be intenational level, I know that's for The Eagles but he doesn't look up to scratch for me.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well I think that game proved 3 things
1 We have got some really good players coming through the ranks
2 Freddie Burns - we don’t want him to do an Andy Goode and come back
3 Geordan Murphy is really good coach who I think maybe in the next 10 years could be our next DoR
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=JP14]
Well I think that game proved 3 things
1 We have got some really good players coming through the ranks
2 Freddie Burns - we don’t want him to do an Andy Goode and come back
3 Geordan Murphy is really good coach who I think maybe in the next 10 years could be our next DoR
[/quote]

I agree - the club has some good prospects, and the team showed great spirit in tough conditions.
Credit too to the other coaches (as well as Murph) - Brett Deacon and Ant Allen. It seems that the recent re-organisation of the academy and development coaching is beginning to show promise.

I felt frighteningly old when the 17 year-old sub came on, and he became the first Tigers first teamer born in this Millennium.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Well I really enjoyed that game!

We were most concerned about giving our 2nd/3rd tier players a good run and a chance to impress, Bath were far more concerned with winning, which shows their insecurity in my view.

Some great performances; particularly like Holmes, Simmons and Hardwick, but everyone bar the props looked good.

GK is right about the restarts though, they cost us and the inexperienced front row we had on at the end, but no complaints from me, all the players will get better from the experience. Just a shame that they probably won't play again for weeks.....perhaps there are some A league games, I'm not sure, but more game time not just training time is essential to develop that match hardness and fitness.
Soggypitch