Tigers v Castres

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Castres

Post by jgriffin »

18000 included the absent STHs and a few present Sky freebies - we estimated 16000 in reality. However, the 16000 made a lot of noise!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:45 am Really enjoyed the game, incredible performance for 50 mins, shame to let them back in but credit to Castres they did not throw in the towel and made a game of it in the 2nd half. As others have said it may prove to be a good thing that they got the TBP.

Lots of room on the terrace which was great in many ways, but a very disappointing crowd for a European Cup game (circa 18000). Perhaps the 5.30 KO although that doesn't bother me on a Saturday, more likely the last day of Leicester's half term.

Anyway if we keep playing like that the crowds will soon return!!

Massively concerned about Toomua, also Genge and Owen, but particularly Toomua, we simply don't have a replacement for him.
Totally agree with respect to Toomua, he is truly talented player and hugely important both offensively but perhaps even more so defensively. He is our midfield general and irreplaceable along with Ford. A great partnership developing with each game.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:46 am 18000 included the absent STHs and a few present Sky freebies - we estimated 16000 in reality. However, the 16000 made a lot of noise!
It’s a long time since the corporate seats in the North Stand were so desolate; an LV game 4 or 5 years ago is the only occasion I can recall. Yet the club has been saying only last week that sponsorship and corporate income is at record levels. Is the market for corporate jollies on the wane?
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Given the K.O time and Tv coverage I was not surprised at the attendance - 15K or 16K at best . There are simply too many matches on TV and Corporate bookings are hard to sell for late kick offs .
I do worry about how we would cover Toomua if injured for a lengthy spell - no one else in the Squad comes close to his skill set and in my opinion he is our best 12 since Pat Howard . George Ford's recent showings have been the best by a 10 since Stransky - we are indeed fortunate at present .
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Roly wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 am Well, the result was very good, but it doesn't tell the full story.

Genge was outstanding and must be considered as first choice in the front row for England, Hamilton, May and Vieanau also impressed. Malouf is coming good, getting hold of him is like trying to drag a particularly leggy spidercrab from a basket.

The last 20 minutes took the shine off what had been a pretty accomplished performance up until that point. I know substitutions had their part to play (MoC needs to learn brinkmanship) but to drop the intensity and allow Castres to pick up a try bonus point is nigh on unforgivable. Social media groaned under the weight of mixed emotion. You could argue that the game was already won - and so it was - but, if you can't play rugby for 80 minutes, there are teams that will pick you off with aplomb.

I think it might be a good thing that Castres picked up an LPB. It'll keep them interested for their next match against Racing at home. If they picked up nothing, they might completely throw the towel in. They'll still lose but if they could hold Racing to 4, that would be useful.

The line-out still isn't functioning. It should not be beyond the whit of a professional set of players and coaches to sort it out.

The injury to Toomua could be potentially very damaging. I'm not sure what the prognosis is, but pray he's in one piece, otherwise its going to be a long season.

As an aside, my thoughts are with Lopez, whose horror injury you wouldn't wish on anyone.
Good post
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

L Smith wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:11 pm
Roly wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:23 am Well, the result was very good, but it doesn't tell the full story.

Genge was outstanding and must be considered as first choice in the front row for England, Hamilton, May and Vieanau also impressed. Malouf is coming good, getting hold of him is like trying to drag a particularly leggy spidercrab from a basket.

The last 20 minutes took the shine off what had been a pretty accomplished performance up until that point. I know substitutions had their part to play (MoC needs to learn brinkmanship) but to drop the intensity and allow Castres to pick up a try bonus point is nigh on unforgivable. Social media groaned under the weight of mixed emotion. You could argue that the game was already won - and so it was - but, if you can't play rugby for 80 minutes, there are teams that will pick you off with aplomb.

I think it might be a good thing that Castres picked up an LPB. It'll keep them interested for their next match against Racing at home. If they picked up nothing, they might completely throw the towel in. They'll still lose but if they could hold Racing to 4, that would be useful.

The line-out still isn't functioning. It should not be beyond the whit of a professional set of players and coaches to sort it out.

The injury to Toomua could be potentially very damaging. I'm not sure what the prognosis is, but pray he's in one piece, otherwise its going to be a long season.

As an aside, my thoughts are with Lopez, whose horror injury you wouldn't wish on anyone.
Good post
It is a good post!
I'm pretty sure MOC will likely already know what he needs!
The last 20 will hopefully come as MoC evolves his side.
They were shot after essentially winning the game, they have not quite got that level of control to enable them to play any other way than all out at present and depending on who you are up against that can have consequences as the tanks empty.
It's all about opinions and I never really understood what is a silly theory IMO of bringing on little players up front later on in matches just because they are fast, as opponents legs get tired take advantage is the theory, completely missing the fact that the rest of your own teams legs are also tired!
Leicester are not quite there yet as a complete unit, but looking at the rumours of incoming players in the future it looks like that is possibly something MoC is seeking out to achieve but obviously everything can't be changed overnight.
Tight play being the particular area of need IMO, 30 minutes of tight play is 30 minutes not needing to run around like lunatics!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Nice little subliminal dig at Thacker BFG? 😉
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Good post
It is a good post!
They were shot after essentially winning the game, they have not quite got that level of control to enable them to play any other way than all out at present and depending on who you are up against that can have consequences as the tanks empty.
It's all about opinions and I never really understood what is a silly theory IMO of bringing on little players up front later on in matches just because they are fast, as opponents legs get tired take advantage is the theory, completely missing the fact that the rest of your own teams legs are also tired!
Leicester are not quite there yet as a complete unit, but looking at the rumours of incoming players in the future it looks like that is possibly something MoC is seeking out to achieve but obviously everything can't be changed overnight.
Tight play being the particular area of need IMO, 30 minutes of tight play is 30 minutes not needing to run around like lunatics!
I thought Matt Tait had the best game he has had in a very very long time
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

One of the main reasons that Exeter won in Montpellier is that they brought on a new front row and there was no discernible drop in quality from their starting front row and therefore were able to maintain the pressure in the tight.
Tigers are not at that stage, our starting front row is test match standard, replacements are not at that standard and Thacker doesn’t help to shore things up.

As a slight aside did anyone else notice the photos of Mulipola last week, looked like he’s been enjoying one too many suckling pigs heads
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott, not really if you understand my post, just an assumption by yourself, it really applies anyone and everyone all over the park as Saturday proved if you take a minute to think before replying, especially as the lad wasn't even playing and Leicester still fell away later on! :smt017
If you want to highlight that though then that is fine as it does point out just how extreme our shape can be pulled about!
Defensive doglegs etc as a team loses shape can be a big problem.
However it's not a huge problem if you put 50 points on everyone beforehand, only when it's tighter!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Regarding the fall away at the end, it was noticeable to me that at the start of the game Castres' forwards were big and heavy and that their rolling maul posed us some initial problems that we were able to overcome.
Later in the game, especially after we had changed our front row, Castes came good again in the forwards, they rolled again dangerously and I believe that is where their difference came, winning them more ball and leading to the 4 tries.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:18 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:48 pm
Good post
It is a good post!
I thought Matt Tait had the best game he has had in a very very long time
Didn't he just Chobbsy!
I can't remember who it was who said it after he arrived, might've been jgriffin, that he was one of the best outside centres in the country on his day!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

Who are the little players then BFG? Bateman 18,8, McGuigan 16,5,Cilliers 17,11,Tuohy 18,10,BOC 15,10. That's without Mulipola,Williams, Mapapalangi,Wells etc who have all come off the bench this season who are big players. Once again,who are the little players please?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I will not play to your tune Scott!
I'll try my best to put it into baby talk.
From a team perspective defensively it's about shape.
Players rushing out if the line is fine when everyone follows, from the first minute Leicester's shape was very good, then later on things slowed down, replacements were required and the shape was lost.
Fast players racing up in defence with tiring players can create doglegs.
Smaller players holding with tiring players can create gain line stress.
That's my opinion!
Away from that though, if a side has problems later on in matches then the easiest option is getting the ball off the park and create an arm wrestle in the tight, but only if you are able.
It's not a new problem for Leicester to encounter more recently, but when you have 50 points on the board then no matter!
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I hear ya BFG I've just never encountered a commentator ever using the words "the game is getting tighter" late on in a game. Quite the contrary wouldn't you agree?