Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Castres

Post by Mark62 »

Tomvarndell wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm Injury update - Adam Thompstone is fit and available for selection against Castres. Mike Williams a doubt after rolling his ankle at Racing 92.

On other injuries - Manu Tuilagi back by early December. Matt O'Connor says the centre's recovery is ahead of schedule. That would put Tuilagi in contention for the double header against Munster in the European Cup.
Manu would be a bonus. Hopefully we will use him as an impact replacement for a few games on his next return. Even a few months as an impact sub would be great! :smt002
That isn’t a bad shout re Manu, especially if Owen continues his development
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

With such dreadful away form, Castres are bound to win here then, hope they don't drag us down to their level! :smt030 :smt009
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

LE18 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:11 pm With such dreadful away form, Castres are bound to win here then, hope they don't drag us down to their level! :smt030 :smt009

Back into your hole LE18 and don't come out until Saturday evening after Tigers have secured a bonus point win and then you can buy me a pint 🍺!!
Semper in excretia
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm Injury update - Adam Thompstone is fit and available for selection against Castres. Mike Williams a doubt after rolling his ankle at Racing 92.

On other injuries - Manu Tuilagi back by early December. Matt O'Connor says the centre's recovery is ahead of schedule. That would put Tuilagi in contention for the double header against Munster in the European Cup.
Manu would be a bonus. Hopefully we will use him as an impact replacement for a few games on his next return. Even a few months as an impact sub would be great! :smt002
That's the problem though isn't it. Any impact and he's out for another 3 months...

Mind you, that would assume he doesn't continue to be injured, which is all relative.

Apparently.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:26 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:11 pm With such dreadful away form, Castres are bound to win here then, hope they don't drag us down to their level! :smt030 :smt009

Back into your hole LE18 and don't come out until Saturday evening after Tigers have secured a bonus point win and then you can buy me a pint 🍺!!
:smt048
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Roly wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:30 pm

That's the problem though isn't it. Any impact and he's out for another 3 months...

Mind you, that would assume he doesn't continue to be injured, which is all relative.

Apparently.
I'm not sure which he has more of...injuries or relatives!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

If Thompstone is fit then he must be included either in the starting 15 or the squad of 23. I'm convinced that at his best he is of International quality just like his team mate on the other wing Jonny May.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 pm Tigers are unlikely to have Mike Williams available as he has been cited

http://www.epcrugby.com/news/36515.php#.WeXqR2iPK70
Oh this isn't the first time Williams has got in trouble for charging into a ruck.

However, he was cited by an Italian and what do they about rucks :smt023 😂😂?

I'll take my leave :smt009
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:56 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 pm Tigers are unlikely to have Mike Williams available as he has been cited

Oh this isn't the first time Williams has got in trouble for charging into a ruck.

What does anyone know about rucks these days, often better off taking the opportunity to blink whilst they go on nowadays!
Watching the Chiefs last weekend I almost had a Haskell moment and thought Glasgow needed to get rid of the ball after the fifth tackle!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:53 am

What does anyone know about rucks these days, often better off taking the opportunity to blink whilst they go on nowadays!
Watching the Chiefs last weekend I almost had a Haskell moment and thought Glasgow needed to get rid of the ball after the fifth tackle!
Rucks are a melee these days. The technique was first introduced years ago, by the All Blacks I believe. The first two supporting players arriving at the ruck went beyond the ball and prevented the opposition from competing. But there was a subtlety about what they did, a way of doing it that didn't make you think they were going over the top - mainly because they usually stayed on their feet.

I watch now and it seems players are launching themselves pell mell over the ruck like Exocet missiles and there must be at leat three occasions in every match where I look and think to myself, "that cannot be legal".
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:35 am
BFG wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:53 am

Rucks are a melee these days. The technique was first introduced years ago, by the All Blacks I believe. The first two supporting players arriving at the ruck went beyond the ball and prevented the opposition from competing. But there was a subtlety about what they did, a way of doing it that didn't make you think they were going over the top - mainly because they usually stayed on their feet.

I watch now and it seems players are launching themselves pell mell over the ruck like Exocet missiles and there must be at leat three occasions in every match where I look and think to myself, "that cannot be legal".
I get the impression many teams have been training for rucks on the monkey bars as I have seen more hands on the floor in the first few matches of this season than ever before.
I am not surprised that players sometimes decide to try to impose some order on proceedings, it's all over the place!
Compare that with Exeter who don't even bother to compete, I never knew that they had T.V to even find out about rugby league, I mean I thought they were still eating raw meat and sleeping in tepees!
Mike Williams could be a big loss for Castres, perhaps he may not have started but it was likely against a big French side, he would've at least made a big impact off the bench!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Mike Williams given a 1 week ban, switch Kalamafoni to 6 with Mappa at 8
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Have been moaning about rucks all season so far. Never seen so much totally illegal and sometimes frankly dangerous play. Actually gave up watching some games, for the same reason I gave up watching Pro 12 (as was) a couple of seasons ago - a total free-for-all with more diving than the Summer Olympic pool programme, plus total interference beyond the offside line prior to the ball being touched by the SH. Yep, as invented by the 'best team in the world' who I still consider to be largely facilitated by a supine World Rugby and complicit refs (hence their issue with Barnes in 2007 and none with Joubert four years later.....).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

We have good options in the back row at the moment so Williams will be a loss but not a huge problem.

For me Hamilton was Leicesters MOTM last week.

We should certainly be looking for 5 points this week and I fancy our chances against Racing on the return leg. Who are we going to meet in the quarters :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stephen18 »

With Williams out, I would like to see a team of
Genge
mcguigan
Cole
Wells
Barrow
Hamilton
Kalamafoni
mapapalangi
Youngs
Ford
May
Tooma
Smith
Malouf
Veainu
Sub:
Cilliers
Youngs
Bateman
Tuohy
Evans
Harrison
Owen
Thompstone (tait if not fit)
Beat them up early doors with our big ball carriers, I think mcguigan is our best line out thrower and Kitchener need maybe some a league games to try and gain some form. Tough call between Evans and o Connor just like to see Evans get more game time as I like his work rate around the part. introduced Harrison, youngs, evens and Owen as the games breaking up and hopefully give thompstone a good 25-30mins. Tooma as cover for 10. I think that team should get us the 5points and hopefully a big performance going back into the premiership.