Tigers v Castres

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Castres

Post by ourla »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 am it would be folly in the extreme to assume that Castres are not capable of turning in a performance at WR.
Not sure about anyone else but I certainly haven't said that.
trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 am Can't disagree with the principle that in general teams play better at home than they do away - that is just true,
I think you may have missed the bit about recent away form. Sure teams in general do better at home than away but there is also a variance by team over time. Hence pundits will state "there away form isn't good".
trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 amI do not expect either the players or the management to not prepare for a top class performance by them. Make no mistake, we need to be on the top of our game to win this one and if we lose it will be very difficult for us to get out of this group. They have an excellent squad, several internationals and 2 ex Tigers and will prove a stern test of us at the line out.
All very reasonable but how will it differ to any other ERC game this season?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:20 am Lets assume that everyone if fit from yesterday and Shazam had recovered from his HIA - this would be my 23 for this must win game:

Genge
McGuigan
Coles
Wells
Barrow
Williams
Kalamfoni
Hamilton
Youngs
Ford
May
Owen
Toomua
Malouf
Veainu
reps
Bateman
Youngs
Cilliers
Touhy
O'Connor
Harrison
Ford
Smith

Do I think I have got the 23 which will take the field - No, but that would be my preferred 23.
I would most definitely have Mapapalangi in the 23 at the least
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Castres have only won twice away from home in their past 11 European campaigns. One was in Italy and the other a low scoring game in Glasgow.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Tomvarndell wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:18 pm Castres have only won twice away from home in their past 11 European campaigns. One was in Italy and the other a low scoring game in Glasgow.
That's it then, Tigers are nailed on for a big win against these no-hopers.

:smt017
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tigers are unlikely to have Mike Williams available as he has been cited

http://www.epcrugby.com/news/36515.php#.WeXqR2iPK70
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 pm
Tomvarndell wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:18 pm Castres have only won twice away from home in their past 11 European campaigns. One was in Italy and the other a low scoring game in Glasgow.

Nobody is saying that. Are you familiar with the phrase "it's all relative"?

Do you want to discuss the form of Castres or the potential outcome of the match or do you want to just get all shirty and dismissive?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 pm
Roly wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 pm

Nobody is saying that. Are you familiar with the phrase "it's all relative"?

Do you want to discuss the form of Castres or the potential outcome of the match or do you want to just get all shirty and dismissive?
The implication is that because Castres have 'poor form' in away matches, then they are unlikely to improve that form at the weekend.

It just isn't true. Castres are 'definitely' capable of winning this match. As I've said, whether they will or not is another matter, but it is dangerous to assume that their losing streak is going to continue forever.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 pm Tigers are unlikely to have Mike Williams available as he has been cited

http://www.epcrugby.com/news/36515.php#.WeXqR2iPK70
If he's banned, I'd guess that Hamilton would simply replace him at 6. I'd be tempted to switch Kalamafoni to 6 and start Mapapalangi at 8 - or even have a 4, 5, 6 of Barrow, Tuohy, Wells as a real 'left-field' punt!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:01 pmI'd be tempted to switch Kalamafoni to 6 and start Mapapalangi at 8
That's the way I would go. As for locks, I'd go Barrow & Tuohy (experience) with Wells on the bench for impact later in the game.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:45 pm but it is dangerous to assume that their losing streak is going to continue forever.
If only someone had actually said that it would be a great thing to point out.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:06 pm
strawclearer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:01 pmI'd be tempted to switch Kalamafoni to 6 and start Mapapalangi at 8
That's the way I would go. As for locks, I'd go Barrow & Tuohy (experience) with Wells on the bench for impact later in the game.
Mike Williams apparently had a boot and crutches after the game on Saturday so a ban might be irrelevant.
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Another interesting feature of Castres in Europe is that they do have a habit of throwing the towel in come game 5/6 when already eliminated from the competition as such.

They've not won in rounds 5 or 6 since the 2008/2009 season, although they did get a draw last season. Hopefully we will bury them this weekend and the fact we are last to play them away could give us a guilt edged opportunity to record the away win that's probably essential in order to qualify ourselves.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Injury update - Adam Thompstone is fit and available for selection against Castres. Mike Williams a doubt after rolling his ankle at Racing 92.

On other injuries - Manu Tuilagi back by early December. Matt O'Connor says the centre's recovery is ahead of schedule. That would put Tuilagi in contention for the double header against Munster in the European Cup.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tomvarndell wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 pm

They've not won in rounds 5 or 6 since the 2008/2009 season, although they did get a draw last season. Hopefully we will bury them this weekend and the fact we are last to play them away could give us a guilt edged opportunity to record the away win that's probably essential in order to qualify ourselves.
Good point tv. With luck, by Christmas Castres' chances of advancing will be
gone and Tigers will be in with a better chance of winning down here.
Semper in excretia
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:10 pm Injury update - Adam Thompstone is fit and available for selection against Castres. Mike Williams a doubt after rolling his ankle at Racing 92.

On other injuries - Manu Tuilagi back by early December. Matt O'Connor says the centre's recovery is ahead of schedule. That would put Tuilagi in contention for the double header against Munster in the European Cup.
Manu would be a bonus. Hopefully we will use him as an impact replacement for a few games on his next return. Even a few months as an impact sub would be great! :smt002