22 Joe Ford
23 Pakalani
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Castres

Post by strawclearer »

JP - Unless Wells has a twin, I'm assuming Barrow is in there somewhere - in which case, we agree on selection!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

If Castres decide that they want a meaningful part in this competition and show up next week, then they'll cause Tigers all kinds of trouble, especially around the fringes. It will be an attritional match and Tigers need to play for 80 minutes - they haven't been lately. Still, they're picking up wins and a losing bonus point isn't the end of the world in Paris.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I think Kalamafoni looks better at 6
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:22 am JP - Unless Wells has a twin, I'm assuming Barrow is in there somewhere - in which case, we agree on selection!
oops well spotted, my mistake I did intend for Barrow to be on the bench
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Disagree I think that the top two teams will progress from this group as 18 points has been enough to progress to the last 8 in the last 4 seasons and there are more than one team quite capable of doing this from this group. Lets just hope that Tigers are one of them.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Castres Pro 14 form (latest match first)

Brive 27 Castres 22
Castres 29 Clermont 23
Lyon 31 Castres 12
Paloise 28 Castres 13
Castres 17 Montpelier 22
Castres 33 Bordeaux 19
Racing 25 Castres 21

Clearing not great but beating Clermont at home and close losses to the likes of Racing and Montpelier perhaps suggests they aren't a lost cause.

Worth noting perhaps they lost all three away ERC games last season at Saints, Montpelier and Leinster.

Clearly we have to win and in relative to this competition we should expect to. And if we are to progress one expects it's a must.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tigers should win at home but Castres must not be underestimated. Tigers must be mentally and physically well prepared for what is likely to be a tough match. If they are well prepared then the victory will be theirs - Hopefully with the bonus point.
Semper in excretia
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm Tigers should win at home but Castres must not be underestimated. Tigers must be mentally and physically well prepared for what is likely to be a tough match. If they are well prepared then the victory will be theirs - Hopefully with the bonus point.
Assuming they watch a video of the Munster match, I don't think they'll be under-estimating Castres!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:34 pm
Robespierre wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm Tigers should win at home but Castres must not be underestimated. Tigers must be mentally and physically well prepared for what is likely to be a tough match. If they are well prepared then the victory will be theirs - Hopefully with the bonus point.
Assuming they watch a video of the Munster match, I don't think they'll be under-estimating Castres!
La Rochelle gave Quins a lesson on the road, so French teams can travel when they want to. Castres looked pretty handy at home, can they do it away? They look capable of it definitely.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 am La Rochelle gave Quins a lesson on the road, so French teams can travel when they want to. Castres looked pretty handy at home, can they do it away? They look capable of it definitely.
What do you base that on given their record of losing all 4 Pro 14 away matches this season and all 3 away ERC matches last season?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 am
Roly wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:40 am La Rochelle gave Quins a lesson on the road, so French teams can travel when they want to. Castres looked pretty handy at home, can they do it away? They look capable of it definitely.
What do you base that on given their record of losing all 4 Pro 14 away matches this season and all 3 away ERC matches last season?
I know its not De Rigour to suggest that Tigers may have a game on their hands this weekend. But, Castres are capable of it based on what we saw on Sunday (in terms of skill). Whether they will or not is another matter (as I've already said. Twice).
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Roly wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am
I know its not De Rigour to suggest that Tigers may have a game on their hands this weekend. But, Castres are capable of it based on what we saw on Sunday (in terms of skill). Whether they will or not is another matter (as I've already said. Twice).
I don't think it needs stating that they "have a game on their hands" personally. Not that I mind anyone, you included, saying so. I was more intrigued by the basis of the statement that in reference to them winning away you say "capable of it definitely". The form indicates there is nothing definite about it at all. We, as an example have won 2 out of 3 away in the Prem this season. They are O and 4.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Can't disagree with the principle that in general teams play better at home than they do away - that is just true, but it would be folly in the extreme to assume that Castres are not capable of turning in a performance at WR. I do not expect either the players or the management to not prepare for a top class performance by them. Make no mistake, we need to be on the top of our game to win this one and if we lose it will be very difficult for us to get out of this group. They have an excellent squad, several internationals and 2 ex Tigers and will prove a stern test of us at the line out.
Hehehehehehehehe
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

ourla wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:30 am
Roly wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am
I don't think it needs stating that they "have a game on their hands" personally. Not that I mind anyone, you included, saying so. I was more intrigued by the basis of the statement that in reference to them winning away you say "capable of it definitely". The form indicates there is nothing definite about it at all. We, as an example have won 2 out of 3 away in the Prem this season. They are O and 4.
If you accept that Castres are capable of winning this match - which they are, then they are definitely capable of winning.