Wash your mouth out!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Wash your mouth out!

Post by dunc »

So the wife is out tonight and our six old has just snook down stairs for a glass of milk. He has quickly made himself at home on the Sofa watching the Wasps - Ulster game. So far so good for a bit of Father son bonding.

However then Wasps take the lead 6-3 and he is up fist pumping shouting "C'mon Wasps!". Needless to say he is back in bed thinking about what he has done.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Wash your mouth out!

Post by fentiger »

Well done, that's the way! :smt002
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I just had a post censored for far less than that expletive!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The pass for Ulster's second try a metre forward but adjudged backwards out of the hand. :smt005
Blimey they make some strange stuff up these days! :smt017
Massive dislike of players milking incidents, lay down like wendyballers, what next maybe a bit of rolling around for extra effect, shocking stuff! :smt011
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:25 pm The pass for Ulster's second try a metre forward but adjudged backwards out of the hand. :smt005
Blimey they make some strange stuff up these days! :smt017
Massive dislike of players milking incidents, lay down like wendyballers, what next maybe a bit of rolling around for extra effect, shocking stuff! :smt011
Comes down to the point that has been made for many seasons, there is a definite advantage for a pro 12, or how ever many there are these days, team against a non pro 12 team, when the ref is also from a pro 12 union.

That being said I do like young Mr. Whitehouse as a ref. He makes a real effort to keep the game flowing
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

The forward pass interpretation all comes down to the Aussies trying to allow running rugby. The Laws still define the pass as the ball moving back in the direction of a teams own try line. The refs interpret the position of the hands and the TMO and ref stated that the player's hands were moving in a backwards direction - even though the ball eventually moved forward towards the opposition line. The link below is to a IRB video that "explains" this. I personally think the law that the ball needs to travel towards your own try line is easier to referee and for TMO to rule on. A play would need to point their hands further backwards to compensate for the speed they are running forwards. Their skill to be able to do this and the positional skill of the player being passed to to not over run is part of the game. Position of the player when they make the pass and the player when they receive it are easy to compare and lines on the pitch can give an idea of the travel of the ball, rather than looking at the hands. I think I my be old fashioned to want to follow the letter of the Laws though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s
Scott11
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scott11 »

I blame Dewy Morris! The extent of his commentary is which way the hands were facing as well as always mentioning out and out 7 which is a constant dig at Chris Robshaw!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Offside wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:45 pm The forward pass interpretation all comes down to the Aussies trying to allow running rugby. The Laws still define the pass as the ball moving back in the direction of a teams own try line. The refs interpret the position of the hands and the TMO and ref stated that the player's hands were moving in a backwards direction - even though the ball eventually moved forward towards the opposition line. The link below is to a IRB video that "explains" this. I personally think the law that the ball needs to travel towards your own try line is easier to referee and for TMO to rule on. A play would need to point their hands further backwards to compensate for the speed they are running forwards. Their skill to be able to do this and the positional skill of the player being passed to to not over run is part of the game. Position of the player when they make the pass and the player when they receive it are easy to compare and lines on the pitch can give an idea of the travel of the ball, rather than looking at the hands. I think I my be old fashioned to want to follow the letter of the Laws though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s
The problems is the Laws never defined the forward pass as absolute movement, they used refer to the "direction of throw" which was not clear whether it meant the absolute flight of the ball (general interpretation by the northern hemisphere) or the action of the arms (southern hemisphere).

The wording of the law now defines a forward throw as "if the arms of the player passing the ball move towards the opposing team’s dead ball line".

Personally I think it should have been clarified as absolute movement. I know the argument is when running at speed the ball will naturally drift forward due to running momentum, but the answer is simply to throw the ball backwards either harder, or at a different angle
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The trouble with judging a pass forward or not by the hands moving backwards is that you can now quite literally see players moving their hands backwards AFTER the ball has left their control and getting away with it, they are manipulating another element of the sport as they have in so many areas.
A forward pass is exactly that, a forward pass, it is not rocket science and does not need over complicating.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Sadly i feel the game is drifting towards
1 a SH free-for-all 'flowing spectacle' chock full of Law breaking
2 a graveyard of players' careers as the collisions are - to my mind and Dr Jamie Roberts - massively up as a % of play, and the number of phases mount with little challenge as the defence is now so handicapped at the breakdown, but advantaged over gainline retention - result multiple batterings for both sides.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:43 am Sadly i feel the game is drifting towards
1 a SH free-for-all 'flowing spectacle' chock full of Law breaking
2 a graveyard of players' careers as the collisions are - to my mind and Dr Jamie Roberts - massively up as a % of play, and the number of phases mount with little challenge as the defence is now so handicapped at the breakdown, but advantaged over gainline retention - result multiple batterings for both sides.
Agree entirely!
Seems to be completely lacking in any intelligence currently!
If you reverse many of the current trends then a sensible outcome is likely i.e penalise the defensive offside strictly but allow fair competition of the breakdown then you instantly reduce the amount of collisions and the force of them as attacking sides are required to be strategically more intelligent about where and how they carry ball, that's rugby union, or at least it was!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Turning into 15 man rugby league with proper scrums