Champions Cup Fixtures

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LondonRich
Tiger Cub

Re: Champions Cup Fixtures

Post by LondonRich »

I was looking at travelling there from London with a few mates. We were thinking of driving or getting the cheapest flight we could find. Some airlines haven't released flights yet. Should be cheap (ish) if you book early on a budget option. The real issue we found was a huge lack of accommodation available. So much so that we've pulled the plug and will do a 6N trip instead. It's a real shame, as the accommodation issue will only get tighter as the event gets closer. If you haven't booked early it will only leave 'travel + ticket' options from the likes of Thompson etc. Would be a great weekend if you do go though!
ElvastonTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by ElvastonTiger »

Fortunately, I booked the accommodation when the dates were released, and the match tickets (inc Challenge Cup) too. The travel logistics are perplexing me at the mo but hopefully one of the budget airlines will deliver nearer the date. At the mo it's all £300 plus fares and 11 hour journeys via Paris etc.
Hope you have a blinding 6N trip.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I travelled to Bilbao in August, direct flights from Stansted were pretty reasonable at £65ish per person return with EasyJet - a couple of hours each way. Could be quite a fun drive if you have the time and fancy a road trip.

Worth a visit for the food and wine alone. Don't expect anyone to speak any English.

We stayed at the Barcelo Nervion hotel, can't remember the exact price but was under £100 per night and comfortable contemporary rooms.
ElvastonTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by ElvastonTiger »

Thanks for that. Looks like Stansted it is, just got to wait for the May flights to become available. Wish I could do it as a road trip but wife's job trumps my pleasure.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

If Stansted to Bilbao falls through, try Stansted to Biarritz. It's not that far over the border and the route down takes you through some lovely Basque countryside. San Sebastián (Donostia) is lovely as well.

The drawback to both is that it's Ryanair.
ElvastonTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by ElvastonTiger »

Thanks. Shame there's nothing viable from East Mids airport but Stansteds not that far.
Will be wearing a Tigers shirt proudly on the day however I get there.
Made for a fun day out in Glasgow, amongst the Sarries, fans last year.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

We booked up months ago so flights were cheap, but I concur, regarding the accommodation. We bookedo ver 15 Air bnb's due to lack of affordable options in Bilbao but were let down by all of them. Have ended up on the coast by the beach with apparently a direct tram into the city centre. Sounds great and can't wait; just hope it's someone other than Saracens again in the final as they are beginning to spoil my favourite weekend of the year!
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Does anyone know when the tickets for the game against Racing on the 14th of October will go on sale? :smt026
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Two of Tigers' opponents are not exactly on top form.
Munster took a pasting in Cardiff yesterday and today Castres were on the end of a biggish defeat in Lyon.
Racing, Tigers' first opponents are doing quite well - the only lost by 2 at Clermont yesterday and have won three of their five matches in the Top14, which for me, makes them the team to beat.
If Tigers' improved form continues against Exeter and Irish then dare we hope for a win in Paris?
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Racing lost at home yesterday 17-20 to Lyon, so with Tigers' current form - and may it continue next weekend!, a win in Paris in a couple of weeks is a distinct possibility!
Semper in excretia
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:33 pm ...
Munster took a pasting in Cardiff yesterday and today Castres were on the end of a biggish defeat in Lyon.
Well the old adage of a team being inspired by a big defeat certainly came true for Castres against Clermont today!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

TomWeston wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:26 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:33 pm ...
Well the old adage of a team being inspired by a big defeat certainly came true for Castres against Clermont today!

Very true, Tom, and a much needed win for Castres after three consecutive defeats.
Tigers' record in France is generally not good and we all know that they've the mountain of two French clubs in their pool to climb, but if (and it's a big if) they can get a win at Racing on the 14th, it'll set them up well for the home match against Castres the following Saturday. Here's hoping that none of their first choice players get injured in the meantime, as that'll make the mountain even higher.
Semper in excretia
nahiean

Post by nahiean »

It sounds great to hear from you. Looks like I'm sitting in the field. I'm playing in front of me I'm very good at rugby. thanks to everyone.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

The first two games in the European pool matches must produce positive results then we can go to Munster in December with our tails up. Then perhaps we can get our revenge for the drubbing they meted out to us last season.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

nahiean wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:35 am It sounds great to hear from you. Looks like I'm sitting in the field. I'm playing in front of me I'm very good at rugby. thanks to everyone.
Right...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man