Tigers v Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Chiefs

Post by JP14 »

Scott11 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:59 pm See Kalamafoni carried 21 times for 77 minutes and hit 20 tackles with just one missed. Incredible stats!
Thought he was more urgent on the carry and made some good steals, thoroughly deserved his man-of-the-match award
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:32 pm
Beechtrees wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 am It was a brilliant win against the champions built on massive defence. Barrow was the top tackler with 19. The more breakdowns you are involved in the more chance of being penalised. He had two penalties against him that were very harsh imho, the lineout and the high tackle. And as a senior player he's only 1 year older than 'young' Wells.
I'm pretty sure he got pinged for something else as well? Can't now remember what for.

Barrow tackles very well and his work rate is exceptional. He doesn't contribute over the ball and his handling is below average as seen by his knock on under little tackle pressure and the bungled lineout drop to Youngs. Those are simple things to fix and the coaches will be working on that with him. He concedes a lot less penalties than his first six months at Tigers, he is still a young player and he is still improving.

Wells makes a more noticeable impact at the breakdown because he has experience playing blindside in the Championship as well as second row. That is serving him well now he has got up to the speed of the AP game. I like how he has gone out and tried to better the Barrow aggression and physicality.

Given us some good options and I'm looking forward to seeing Kitch come back in and up his performances to match.
He does contribute over the ball. You won't see him turning ball over, but he's a nuisance at the breakdown slowing ball down. Harsh to say his handling is below average....it's not really is it. The one error you picked up on....what about all the solid handling for the rest of the game ?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

A great result. A match many (including me) did not expect Tigers to win. These are the results that mean you never see a poor bookie...

I thought Chiefs were well below their own par and were quite cynical at times. I thought that Chiefs would target Tigers set-piece, mainly the scrum, when it was announced that Tigers had lost Genge in the warm up and because Tigers pack hasn't exactly been ripping up trees. The fact that Tigers had shored up the scrum meant they had to go to plan B, but it seemed that uncharacteristically, they hadn't turned up with one. I do think they were unlucky with Salvi's yellow card - especially when you consider that young Malouf effectively got away with what was at least a yellow for taking out Dolman in the air.

Still, there were wholesale improvements, not least in the top two inches. Somebody on here (can't remember who) pointed out that Armand was key to Chiefs but had looked vulnerable when put under pressure. Good spot, he was closed down and Chiefs had to play off scraps on several occasions. Toomua is fast becoming pivotal in midfield - loosing him to injury would be annoying.

Tigers are still too narrow in defence and often don't number off properly. This was never more evident than the lead up to the penalty try. The line-out is better but still needs work and I would like to see a bit more support and aggression at the breakdown. Other than that, its a whole lot better.

I will be disappointed if Tigers don't take 5 points from LI.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Beechtrees wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 am It was a brilliant win against the champions built on massive defence. Barrow was the top tackler with 19. The more breakdowns you are involved in the more chance of being penalised. He had two penalties against him that were very harsh imho, the lineout and the high tackle. And as a senior player he's only 1 year older than 'young' Wells.
I'm pretty sure he got pinged for something else as well? Can't now remember what for.

Barrow tackles very well and his work rate is exceptional. He doesn't contribute over the ball and his handling is below average as seen by his knock on under little tackle pressure and the bungled lineout drop to Youngs. Those are simple things to fix and the coaches will be working on that with him. He concedes a lot less penalties than his first six months at Tigers, he is still a young player and he is still improving.

Wells makes a more noticeable impact at the breakdown because he has experience playing blindside in the Championship as well as second row. That is serving him well now he has got up to the speed of the AP game. I like how he has gone out and tried to better the Barrow aggression and physicality.

Given us some good options and I'm looking forward to seeing Kitch come back in and up his performances to match.
Sam when a workrate is so high and combative a player will undoubtedly give away a few more penalties but the positives outweigh the negatives.
Just by his very nature penalties will happen playing on the edge and the odd skill failure will occur during more fatigued moments.
There is little point in a squeaky clean perfectly viewed player if it has no bearing on the result and you lose!
TheRock

Post by TheRock »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:53 am

He does contribute over the ball. You won't see him turning ball over, but he's a nuisance at the breakdown slowing ball down. Harsh to say his handling is below average....it's not really is it. The one error you picked up on....what about all the solid handling for the rest of the game ?
He attempts to contribute at the breakdown but usually only succeeds at flopping on the floor
Some second rows have the ability to be like an extra back rower at the break down Barrow is not one of them.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

TheRock wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:08 am
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:53 am

He attempts to contribute at the breakdown but usually only succeeds at flopping on the floor
Some second rows have the ability to be like an extra back rower at the break down Barrow is not one of them.
Dom Barrow is the penalty machine that keeps on giving...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I couldn't go to the game because I had an eye appointment in Mkt Harb at 2 so watched it on the tv.

Really enjoyed it and a great win, still lots to improve upon but we are getting there. Thought Bateman and Toomua were fantastic, Malouf just needs to learn the art of playing on the wing, but he will do so and he has raw talent/pace.

The back row were also much better and Ben/George looked composed and classy.

I thought the BT coverage was woeful. When all the changes were being made near the end, I had absolutely no idea who was on the pitch. I didn't see Tait come on, and the commentators didn't actually point out we had Malouf in the pack for the last 10 minutes, I just happened to spot him packing down for that final scrum. Pretty poor all round, it is much better when Ben Kay is on the mic.
Soggypitch
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:44 am I couldn't go to the game because I had an eye appointment in Mkt Harb at 2 so watched it on the tv.

Really enjoyed it and a great win, still lots to improve upon but we are getting there. Thought Bateman and Toomua were fantastic, Malouf just needs to learn the art of playing on the wing, but he will do so and he has raw talent/pace.

The back row were also much better and Ben/George looked composed and classy.

I thought the BT coverage was woeful. When all the changes were being made near the end, I had absolutely no idea who was on the pitch. I didn't see Tait come on, and the commentators didn't actually point out we had Malouf in the pack for the last 10 minutes, I just happened to spot him packing down for that final scrum. Pretty poor all round, it is much better when Ben Kay is on the mic.
To be fair, there were a lot of substitutions made in fairly frenetic order and the commentators only have the same TV pictures to commentate on as you see yourself.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Just in case some didn't notice it, we have just beaten the champions, crossing their line twice against nil by them. We were not perfect and no doubt the coaches will be looking at areas where the team and individuals can improve but overall the boys did well, a fact that does seem to escape some posters on this board.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:51 am Just in case some didn't notice it, we have just beaten the champions, crossing their line twice against nil by them. We were not perfect and no doubt the coaches will be looking at areas where the team and individuals can improve but overall the boys did well, a fact that does seem to escape some posters on this board.
It hasn't escaped anyone's notice as far as I can tell, only in your mind it would seem.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:51 am Just in case some didn't notice it, we have just beaten the champions, crossing their line twice against nil by them. We were not perfect and no doubt the coaches will be looking at areas where the team and individuals can improve but overall the boys did well, a fact that does seem to escape some posters on this board.
John after all these years you should know that when we lose there are some quick to criticise but when we win, its because the opposition are under par or find something else to moan about. Praise through gritted teeth :smt003
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Outstanding defensive performance and two clinically taken tries from ourselves to win the game. Interesting stat is that Exeter have only once scored less points in a match during this calander year and that was in a massive final against a top side! To keep them down to 13points is a terrific effort.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:01 am
John after all these years you should know that when we lose there are some quick to criticise but when we win, its because the opposition are under par or find something else to moan about. Praise through gritted teeth :smt003
So Chiefs were on top form yesterday were they? That's the best you've seen them play this season is it?

If not, then they were below par by definition, and that is worthy of comment.

Credit has been given by most (including me) where it is due.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Furthermore it wasn't Chiefs playing badly, Tigers stopped them playing their game. Certainly a WOOO HOOO from me!
Dom Barrow is the penalty machine that keeps on giving...
That's a bit harsh. He got on the wrong side of the ref on Saturday, but how many penalties did he concede in the Saints and Quins games?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:28 am
Doghashadhisday wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:01 am
So Chiefs were on top form yesterday were they? That's the best you've seen them play this season is it?

If not, then they were below par by definition, and that is worthy of comment.

Credit has been given by most (including me) where it is due.
Surprisingly Roly, given the level of intelligence you can often post with (meant as a compliment by the way) you are missing the entire point, which is the Tigers didn't allow the Chiefs to play!